Gotta beat NCSt | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gotta beat NCSt

You get sidetracked way too easily, you point things out I never argued about or against. I'm not sure if that helps make you feel like you're right or what.

Again, you're wrong. LSU is not a top SEC team this year, nor have they been recently. Trying to argue they are a top SEC team so it fits your narrative is a play out of the RutgersAl playbook. Are they a good team, yes. That's it.

No, I missed it. I couldn’t believe your point was “if they turn out to be mediocre, our close loss looks worse”... but here we are.

Since you’re new to the sport, of course every week in CFB we learn a little bit more about how good everyone *actually* is. Some losses look better, some wins look worse.

My point is not “but no matter what we lost to an outstanding team, even if they suck”... my point was that we’ve been crappy so hard for so long, that *any* SEC team who were runner ups to a National Championship in the last 10 years is a mismatch with us. Further, I’d be damn proud if we went into Vandy or Mizzou and were down 2 with 5 min left to play. Or Miami this season. I want to win, but we have deficiencies that make our room for error pretty small.

I think we’re getting better.

Note: They haven’t had less that 8 wins in the last 8 years. Won a National Championship in 2007, was the runner up to Bama in 2011. They’ve been in the top 6 in the SEC 15 out of the last 16 seasons. They may fall below that this season, but it would be bucking history.

I watched most of the 1st qtr of the NC St vs. FSU game.

NC St on D: Blackman was a dear in headlights. I was very surprised FSU came out throwing from the start. Blackman wasn't effective early on. It seems FSU wanted to take advantage of the NC St DBs, they just didn't have the QB to do it. FSU 3rd down efficiency was only 4 of 14. Furman did better 8 of 16, so did Marshall 6 of 15. I would contend that FSU with an experienced QB beats NC St this past weekend.

NC St on O: their offense is 3 players, Finley the QB (weighs 205), Hines RB (weighs 197), and Samuels WR. The QB never ever runs with the ball. Hines and Samuels are both fast and seem to play smart. Finley has not thrown in INT this season, they have a total of 2 fumbles in 4 games (b0th in game 1). When they play us they will have not lost the football in a month.

This is a completely different kind of test from LSU. NC St looks like a well coached team with a few players who are special.

But we have to reduce the mistakes. Bigly.
Nobody plays mistake free football at this level. Fans don't care about mistakes when you have playmakers that win games. 17-play drives is not a recipe for success. The probabilities are simply stacked against us. The Mcnabb teams were incredibly sloppy at times but we seldom remember that.

If Dino turns the corner it'll be because he finally has the horses and not because his teams executed with robotic precision.

No, I missed it. I couldn’t believe your point was “if they turn out to be mediocre, our close loss looks worse”... but here we are.

Since you’re new to the sport, of course every week in CFB we learn a little bit more about how good everyone *actually* is. Some losses look better, some wins look worse.

My point is not “but no matter what we lost to an outstanding team, even if they suck”... my point was that we’ve been crappy so hard for so long, that *any* SEC team who were runner ups to a National Championship in the last 10 years is a mismatch with us. Further, I’d be damn proud if we went into Vandy or Mizzou and were down 2 with 5 min left to play. Or Miami this season. I want to win, but we have deficiencies that make our room for error pretty small.

Note: They haven’t had less that 8 wins in the last 8 years. Won a National Championship in 2007, was the runner up to Bama in 2011. They’ve been in the top 6 in the SEC 15 out of the last 16 seasons. They may fall below that this season, but it would be bucking history.

Listen RutgersAl: "new to the sport", I've had season tix up until recently and I've been on this board a little longer than you. So if I'm new to the sport, that definitely makes you guilty of posting about a sport you know little about.

2007 was 10 years ago. Again, if you want to hang your hat on a 10 year old championship run, congrats!

I've said since last year we're getting better and I'm excited about the team. Somehow you miss those posts when I make them and key in on any slight you see by about the team.

Maybe football isn't the sport for you to follow, if on a message board, you're bothered by any critique/analysis you read about the team. Then feel the need to reply to every single one of them.

Just one minor point. Mizzou is horrible - like worst Power 5 team horrible. I wouldn't be proud if we were down to them in the 4th quarter.

Listen RutgersAl: "new to the sport", I've had season tix up until recently and I've been on this board a little longer than you. So if I'm new to the sport, that definitely makes you guilty of posting about a sport you know little about.

2007 was 10 years ago. Again, if you want to hang your hat on a 10 year old championship run, congrats!

I've said since last year we're getting better and I'm excited about the team. Somehow you miss those posts when I make them and key in on any slight you see by about the team.

Maybe football isn't the sport for you to follow, if on a message board, you're bothered by any critique/analysis you read about the team. Then feel the need to reply to every single one of them.

Meh.

If you read any of my posts in this thread or any thread you’ll see I note the deficiencies our team has. I picked them to win 5-7 games earlier this year. I’m not bothered by analysis at all. I’m bothered by lazy analysis like “if LSU isn’t as good as we thought, our close loss will look worse”...

Just one minor point. Mizzou is horrible - like worst Power 5 team horrible. I wouldn't be proud if we were down to them in the 4th quarter.

We were close to being the worst team in the P5 2 years ago. Plus, Rutgers is offended ;)

LSU isn't very good because their coach stinks but they have athletes across the board and our kids played toe to toe with them. People thought we'd get manhandled in the trenches and that didn't happen.

Where it showed was in their athletes. We don't have the WR playmakers they have.

Point here is that nc state has a solid team bc they are well coached but man for man our kids can play with them.

The last time we played LSU, they weren't "great" either, but they made us look like we didn't belong on the field with them, in the dome! This year we actually looked like we belonged on the field. I'm so tired of these moral victories!

The last time we played LSU, they weren't "great" either, but they made us look like we didn't belong on the field with them, in the dome! This year we actually looked like we belonged on the field. I'm so tired of these moral victories!

?? We lost by 10 to them the last time we played. It was a 7 point game in the 4th quarter. And we had a walk-on playing QB the entire game.

Meh.

If you read any of my posts in this thread or any thread you’ll see I note the deficiencies our team has. I picked them to win 5-7 games earlier this year. I’m not bothered by analysis at all. I’m bothered by lazy analysis like “if LSU isn’t as good as we thought, our close loss will look worse”...

RutgersAl gives a pretty good analysis each year for why Rutgers will win the National Championship. I'm not sure I would hang my hat on that, per say.

Being a supposedly non-lazy poster a lot less weight when you analyzed every Shafer move with a positive spin until when it was painfully obvious it wasn't going to work.

Maybe you should read all my work before picking out one sentence, that in of itself is lazy. If you take the entirety of what I've written this year (excluding game threads) we pretty much have the same thoughts. You miss that in the laziness of skimming and focusing in on what you believe to be negatives, as opposed to seeing the whole point.

RutgersAl gives a pretty good analysis each year for why Rutgers will win the National Championship. I'm not sure I would hang my hat on that, per say.

Being a supposedly non-lazy poster a lot less weight when you analyzed every Shafer move with a positive spin until when it was painfully obvious it wasn't going to work.

Maybe you should read all my work before picking out one sentence, that in of itself is lazy. If you take the entirety of what I've written this year (excluding game threads) we pretty much have the same thoughts. You miss that in the laziness of skimming and focusing in on what you believe to be negatives, as opposed to seeing the whole point.

I’m not contesting everything you’ve ever said (though you seem to be doing that to me?). I don’t have the time nor do I care that much.

Moving on.

?? We lost by 10 to them the last time we played. It was a 7 point game in the 4th quarter. And we had a walk-on playing QB the entire game.

That score does not reflect how easily Fournette was gashing us for yards. Not once did it seem like we were going to win that game. This year, different story.

I hope elmore gets a few carries to wear down that defensive line. If to just give dungey an extra second in the pocket next play.

That score does not reflect how easily Fournette was gashing us for yards. Not once did it seem like we were going to win that game. This year, different story.

He got more than half of his yards on 3 plays, the biggest of which was a broken play where he was stopped for a 10 yard loss, but managed to escape and race up the sideline. He averaged 2.2 ypc on his other 23 carries that day. We scored a TD to get it within 7 early in the 4th and had them in a 3rd and long situation inside their own 40 on the ensuing possession. Get a stop there and it's a different story. Instead, we gave up a 50 yard pass play and they scored on the following play. Game over.

I think NCState's front 7 is great. But you have to remember, they faced a 169lb true freshman last week.

I'm going just assume that kid was fooled 50% of the time recognizing coverage and making protection calls.

Half the battle is won pre-snap. I would hope our 3rd year QB handles that part if the game more effectively.

I remember Mizzou's first year in the SEC, we played them at their place, and they were missing their best d-lineman who was a first round pick, (his name escapes me), and we were down big late, came back, and won on our final drive. Everyone was dancing in the streets in Syracuse, because we beat an "SEC" team. An SEC team that went 4-8 and didn't have their best player. Nobody cared about those facts, and just counted that win as a HUUGE win because it was an SEC school.

Wasn't it NC St recently, 1 to 3 years ago, we were beating; and one of their d lineman took a turnover (interception) back for a TD. That game still ticks me off.

I'd like to see at least once when we get revenge against our former terrible coaches. Let's do it for McDonald.

I hope elmore gets a few carries to wear down that defensive line. If to just give dungey an extra second in the pocket next play.

I'd love to see him too. A few carries to keep em honest and a TON of him and Strickland chipping Chubb on EVERY passing play.

Seeing what I did last night, I would be very impressed if this team regrouped and went on the road to beat NCSt next week. Would ALMOST make up for losing to Mid Tennessee. Almost.

No, the loss to MTSU would have been made up by the LSU win. But, yes, i will take it now at NCSU:)

I know from a friend at NC ST. That their players think our teams an absolute joke. I guarentee you they think this is an easy W

Looking past us for their next game Vs. Louisville can only help. Talk about a trap game. How many times have you seen a team come off a huge win, then lay an egg the next week. Now throw in the "looking ahead" factor, and this could work.

If they have a losing record in conference, then they're not as good as you would like to think they are. It's just a fact. It doesn't matter how many high star recruits you have, if you suck, you suck.

At some point hopefully we break out of this dumb cycle of puffing up every opponent to be better than they are because it makes us feel better in a loss. It's like reading the Rutgers board.

We lost the game to a team that is just an okay team even though they have SEC printed on their field. That doesn't mean we aren't getting better but lets not let false narratives cloud the facts.
A team that has won 49 straight non conf games at home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom