Gotta beat NCSt | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gotta beat NCSt

when did NC st become a well coached team? talented yes, not well coached. The difference so far is the QB is playing lights out. they still managed to lose to an Avg SC team

Every team we play might have more skill players than us. LSU sure did and we almost beat them and played a fr from perfect game.. Its the same issue every game. the D cant allow multiple big plays and the offense needs to score when it gets its shots. it might help of the offense managed 2-3 big plays of its own other than a trick play.. the fact we found a way to drive the ball multiple times against LSU is encouraging,.

I remember Mizzou's first year in the SEC, we played them at their place, and they were missing their best d-lineman who was a first round pick, (his name escapes me), and we were down big late, came back, and won on our final drive. Everyone was dancing in the streets in Syracuse, because we beat an "SEC" team. An SEC team that went 4-8 and didn't have their best player. Nobody cared about those facts, and just counted that win as a HUUGE win because it was an SEC school.
Missouri finished 2012 with a 5-7 record.

The DL you are thinking of is Sheldon Richardson, who was suspended just before the Syracuse game.

I think the euphoria was more about the nature of the win (it was an exciting comeback) than the quality of the opponent. Though at that point, with the GRob era just completed, a win against any P5 opponent, especially on the road, was a pretty big deal.

I know from a friend at NC ST. That their players think our teams an absolute joke. I guarentee you they think this is an easy W
As a life long NC State fan and alum, I assure you nothing could be further from the truth. Despite the great win in Tallahassee last week, the Pack is working towards becoming a consistent team that can compete against higher ranked teams and beat the teams they're supposed to. Syracuse is somewhere in between and there is zero chance Coach Doeren is going to allow them to take the Orange lightly... especially since it would nullify any of the positives associated with the FSU victory. The Pack laid a massive egg against SC in the season opener and this senior laden team knows better than to think they can take any opponent lightly or any remaining game on the schedule as a gimme.

On paper, I think the Pack should be able to beat the Orange this coming Saturday. For the first time in ages, we have upper class men-based depth on both sides of the ball. My biggest concern is that our DBs have yet to prove they can cover anybody and Dungy is a damn good QB. Looking forward to a hard fought, good clean game!

I remember Mizzou's first year in the SEC, we played them at their place, and they were missing their best d-lineman who was a first round pick, (his name escapes me), and we were down big late, came back, and won on our final drive. Everyone was dancing in the streets in Syracuse, because we beat an "SEC" team. An SEC team that went 4-8 and didn't have their best player. Nobody cared about those facts, and just counted that win as a HUUGE win because it was an SEC school.

Missouri finished 2012 with a 5-7 record.

The DL you are thinking of is Sheldon Richardson, who was suspended just before the Syracuse game.

I think the euphoria was more about the nature of the win (it was an exciting comeback) than the quality of the opponent. Though at that point, with the GRob era just completed, a win against any P5 opponent, especially on the road, was a pretty big deal.

They had to beat us or A&M the next week to get bowl eligible. They knew they weren't going to beat Tannehill and the Aggies at College Station. They were up for that game.

I watched most of the 1st qtr of the NC St vs. FSU game.

NC St on D: Blackman was a dear in headlights. I was very surprised FSU came out throwing from the start. Blackman wasn't effective early on. It seems FSU wanted to take advantage of the NC St DBs, they just didn't have the QB to do it. FSU 3rd down efficiency was only 4 of 14. Furman did better 8 of 16, so did Marshall 6 of 15. I would contend that FSU with an experienced QB beats NC St this past weekend.

NC St on O: their offense is 3 players, Finley the QB (weighs 205), Hines RB (weighs 197), and Samuels WR. The QB never ever runs with the ball. Hines and Samuels are both fast and seem to play smart. Finley has not thrown in INT this season, they have a total of 2 fumbles in 4 games (b0th in game 1). When they play us they will have not lost the football in a month.

This is a completely different kind of test from LSU. NC St looks like a well coached team with a few players who are special.
If you really believe that the Pack offense is only Finley, Hines, and Samuels you're sadly mistaken.

Ignore WRs Harmon, Louis, and Meyer at your own risk. Both Harmon and Louis are big, physical receivers with great hands. Neither has world class speed, but they're more than fast enough. Meyer in the slot is just starting to pay dividends and the TD agains FSU's all world DB James is just the beginning.

Hines, who does have world class speed, is picking up steam and coming into his own at RB after playing the slot last year. His backup, Reggie Gallaspy is a very good RB in his own right, although he may have tweaked an ankle in the FSU game.

Finley is as good an implementer of an OC's game plan as I've seen in a long time. He won't remain mistake free for the rest of the season, but he's very intelligent and know's our offense inside and out.

Samuels. Not sure what I can say here. Easily one of the best and most versatile offensive weapons to wear an NC State uniform in my 45+ years of watching the Pack. Literally unstoppable as either a receiver or runner.

Probably the biggest surprise in the FSU game was the play of our OL. They dominated FSU's DL throughout the game... a DL many recognize as one of the best in today's game. If the OL is able to keep Finley upright and the Pack is able to mount long, clock consuming drives against the Orange, I think the Pack wins this Saturday.

If you really believe that the Pack offense is only Finley, Hines, and Samuels you're sadly mistaken.

Ignore WRs Harmon, Louis, and Meyer at your own risk. Both Harmon and Louis are big, physical receivers with great hands. Neither has world class speed, but they're more than fast enough. Meyer in the slot is just starting to pay dividends and the TD agains FSU's all world DB James is just the beginning.

Hines, who does have world class speed, is picking up steam and coming into his own at RB after playing the slot last year. His backup, Reggie Gallaspy is a very good RB in his own right, although he may have tweaked an ankle in the FSU game.

Finley is as good an implementer of an OC's game plan as I've seen in a long time. He won't remain mistake free for the rest of the season, but he's very intelligent and know's our offense inside and out.

Samuels. Not sure what I can say here. Easily one of the best and most versatile offensive weapons to wear an NC State uniform in my 45+ years of watching the Pack. Literally unstoppable as either a receiver or runner.

Probably the biggest surprise in the FSU game was the play of our OL. They dominated FSU's DL throughout the game... a DL many recognize as one of the best in today's game. If the OL is able to keep Finley upright and the Pack is able to mount long, clock consuming drives against the Orange, I think the Pack wins this Saturday.

You guys are worse at running the ball than we are. Your RB's don't scare us at all. Neither team is running much this weekend and both secondaries can be thrown on. It will be a shootout. And in a shootout, I'm going with the better QB, Eric Dungey.

Our DL was a weakness for us - but we're beginning to show that it may be a strength (though thin). Two of our LB's will be on all ACC teams, with Bennett maybe a 1st teamer (he was everywhere vs LSU).

I think the line (-12.5) is crazy given the stats (Statistical Matchup vs NC State). I expect a close game, decided by TO's and QB play.

The last time we played LSU, they weren't "great" either, but they made us look like we didn't belong on the field with them, in the dome! This year we actually looked like we belonged on the field. I'm so tired of these moral victories!

I wouldn't say we got outclassed 2 years ago in the dome. Losing by 10 points with a walk qb.

when did NC st become a well coached team? talented yes, not well coached. The difference so far is the QB is playing lights out. they still managed to lose to an Avg SC team

Every team we play might have more skill players than us. LSU sure did and we almost beat them and played a fr from perfect game.. Its the same issue every game. the D cant allow multiple big plays and the offense needs to score when it gets its shots. it might help of the offense managed 2-3 big plays of its own other than a trick play.. the fact we found a way to drive the ball multiple times against LSU is encouraging,.

Love your point. For some crazy reason doushy Dorean gets kids to come there. Sure, geography and proximity to talent plays a role. That said, i think he is a meathead when it comes to coaching. They have some cant miss pro players, possibly stars and the qb is super accurate. I see dino amd company making a difference with prep and in game adjustments along with ED and our receivers winning matchups. The key will be the pressure on ED. If our young OL can battle and we maybe move ED around a bit and go for it with the play calling like last week...we have a good shot. Go Cuse!

A team that has won 49 straight non conf games at home.

Cool fact. They play Furman, Sam houston state, UL-Monroe, and Mcneese state.

What did that have to do with my post.

You guys are worse at running the ball than we are. Your RB's don't scare us at all. Neither team is running much this weekend and both secondaries can be thrown on. It will be a shootout. And in a shootout, I'm going with the better QB, Eric Dungey.

Our DL was a weakness for us - but we're beginning to show that it may be a strength (though thin). Two of our LB's will be on all ACC teams, with Bennett maybe a 1st teamer (he was everywhere vs LSU).

I think the line (-12.5) is crazy given the stats (Statistical Matchup vs NC State). I expect a close game, decided by TO's and QB play.
Amazing that you really think our running game is worse than yours. News flash: the Pack will be running the ball in this game. Maybe you'll change your opinion when Hines breaks over right tackle for a 50 yard TD.

Syracuse's leading rusher is Dungey and if you really want to risk losing him for the game or even season, go ahead and let him tote the rock extensively against the Pack's D. Believe me, I don't want to see ED getting hurt!

This game will boil down to which team can maintain long clock chewing drives that wear down the opponent's D in the 4th Qtr. Based on the evidence thus far this season, that team is NC State.

Amazing that you really think our running game is worse than yours. News flash: the Pack will be running the ball in this game. Maybe you'll change your opinion when Hines breaks over right tackle for a 50 yard TD.

Syracuse's leading rusher is Dungey and if you really want to risk losing him for the game or even season, go ahead and let him tote the rock extensively against the Pack's D. Believe me, I don't want to see ED getting hurt!

This game will boil down to which team can maintain long clock chewing drives that wear down the opponent's D in the 4th Qtr. Based on the evidence thus far this season, that team is NC State.

Rushing Yards per Attempt (tempo free)
NC State: 4.06, #85 nationally, #9 in the ACC
Syracuse: 4.08, #83 nationally, #8 in the ACC

Rushing Yards per Game
NC State: 146.25, #10 in the ACC
Syracuse: 164.25, #8 in the ACC

Rush Yards per Attempt allowed (tempo free)

NC State: 3.10, #24 nationally, #4 in the ACC
Syracuse: 2.99, #18 nationally, #3 in the ACC

Rushing Yards per Game allowed
NC State: 92.25, #11 nationally, #2 in the ACC
Syracuse: 101.00, #22 nationally, #5 in the ACC

You could be right about long sustained drives... but if you are, I’d be worried.

3rd down defense
Syracuse: #7 nationally, #3 in the ACC
NC State: #87 nationally, #12 in the ACC

Comparing rushing yds that don't include the QB would probably give us a better comparison.

Comparing rushing yds that don't include the QB would probably give us a better comparison.

Why? Most of his rushing yards are on designed runs, while NC State's QB doesn't move at all. Last I checked the yards still count and the TD runs still count for 6 points?

?? We lost by 10 to them the last time we played. It was a 7 point game in the 4th quarter. And we had a walk-on playing QB the entire game.
Good point, but the nature of this game was very different. SU had statistical advantage much of the game. Two plays would have changed the outcome. We were 2 pts down with 5 to go. Plus this was in death valley.

Good point, but the nature of this game was very different. SU had statistical advantage much of the game. Two plays would have changed the outcome. We were 2 pts down with 5 to go. Plus this was in death valley.

I'm not saying that we didn't have a better chance in this most recent game. Just pointing out that we had a chance in the last game against them as well, and it's kind of a false narrative to imply that we got our doors blown off by them.

Chubb is going to be tough to handle (esp if Conway can't play). Samuels is a beast. Let's hope the improved D can get the job done.

Why? Most of his rushing yards are on designed runs, while NC State's QB doesn't move at all. Last I checked the yards still count and the TD runs still count for 6 points?

Because it would be interesting to compare the RB's specifically, is it that big of a deal?

holy shite!!! We've got the 80's 49ers this weekend?!?!

NC State is a quality opponent, and could very well beat us. But, I'm sensing Rutgers Al-ish homerism...
There was a lot of pre-season hype for NC State that I honestly just didn't get. So far this season they lost to S. Carolina and beat Marshall and Furman...whoopee. And as far as their first "signature" win in 5 years under Doeren against a wounded FSU, I would say our win over VT last year was a better signature win in the first year of Babers.

Oh? You're going to run a lot against us? Good I'm glad

Maybe they’re not a well-coached team but in his 5th season coming off a win at Florida State he has the team poised to have a big year. He currently sits at 28-27 and 2-1 in Bowl Games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom