Gotta Say...... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gotta Say......

Is it possible to expect/demand more from the program while still respecting and admiring the kids on the current team for continuing to fight in every single game, despite their obvious limitations and the fact that this is a highly disappointing season? Or do we have to be team one extreme or the other, like in politics?

Is it possible to expect/demand more from the program while still respecting and admiring the kids on the current team for continuing to fight in every single game, despite their obvious limitations and the fact that this is a highly disappointing season? Or do we have to be team one extreme or the other, like in politics?

Right. It's possible to acknowledge that the team has played better with the last third of the season, while still recognizing that the entire season in its totality hasn't been up to snuff.

Guys, the non-losing streak season streak was OFFICIALLY over when we had to vacate wins. It doesn't currently exist. With that said, I really don't care how we finish--5 and 0 or 0 and 5. We have such a slim margin of error it makes winning against very good teams very difficult if not impossible. The hard truth is that we aren't going to be relevant again until Jim is gone. He (and his current staff) can no longer recruit at that level for whatever reason.

Guys, the non-losing streak season streak was OFFICIALLY over when we had to vacate wins. It doesn't currently exist. With that said, I really don't care how we finish--5 and 0 or 0 and 5. We have such a slim margin of error it makes winning against very good teams very difficult if not impossible. The hard truth is that we aren't going to be relevant again until Jim is gone. He (and his current staff) can no longer recruit at that level for whatever reason.
I saw every single one of those vacated wins. Don’t tell me what doesn’t exist.

You're entitled to root for whatever you'd like. More power to you. The same way that I am entitled to have a opinion about this season independent of you feeling differently.

What's dumb is these phony attributions you're making about me not rooting for the team just because I'm not doing back handsprings down Marshall Street about going .500. I root for a Syracuse victory every single game. I was just in CNY this past weekend, and brought two of my children to the game on Saturday (and both lacrosse games on Sunday), hoping they'll catch orange fever.

I get that some people have a difficult time hearing that their baby is ugly, but I'm not less of a fan for being able to acknowledge such.
I just want to clarify, nothing I have said above detracts from my opinion that you are a great fan. I always enjoy reading your posts.

As I said in my OP, I am more than ready to have this program move forward from Jimmy, and I, too, have shared all of the frustrations relating to the decline and state of this program that you have voiced, I am just trying to salvage a little something from this season and I am trying to give a little credit for what to me is an unexpected mini-resurgence. That is all.

So, you've forgotten about all the games we were supposed to win, that we lost?

IF we truly won all the games we were supposed to win, we wouldn't be worried about maintaining The Streak, and would at a minimum be on the bubble already, if not solidly in the field already.

I think he was trying to be - gasp - positive regarding how a team that lost to Colgate and Georgeclown has managed to win 6 of 7 (or whatever) in ACC play.

I know the board feeds off bile. It’s therapy. But in case those need help, here’s some insight into the word positive.

The old recipy for early cupcakes where new teamates can learn the zone and Frosh can
adjust to college basketball is gone. Remember how JB was criticized in the past for not travleing early in the season? I think that helped the team best prepare for in in league play. I think that is why the team is playing better now, but later in the season. It took longer to play out due tough early games not to mention Atlantis. Andbody agree to this?
(Recruting is another discussion).

The old recipy for early cupcakes where new teamates can learn the zone and Frosh can
adjust to college basketball is gone. Remember how JB was criticized in the past for not travleing early in the season? I think that helped the team best prepare for in in league play. I think that is why the team is playing better now, but later in the season. It took longer to play out due tough early games not to mention Atlantis. Andbody agree to this?
if we go 2-2 and are competitive the rest of the way, you might have something.

but I think folks are underestimating the quality of opponents we've been playing.

We used to win these tournaments when we were in them though. We've won in Atlantis, the preseason NIT, and in Maui multiple times. JB usually schedules based on how strong he think his team will be. If he thinks we need more seasoning he's backed off early on. I think this year he totally miscalculated how strong he thought we would be. Again we were told multiple times early in the year that the coaches expected a top 25 team.

if we go 2-2 and are competitive the rest of the way, you might have something.

but I think folks are underestimating the quality of opponents we've been playing.

:)

In our last 8 games, we have beaten only one team that is decent, Wake at home. BC (x2), State, L'ville, GT are all horrendous basketball teams. We lost on the road to a VPI bubble team and a very bad Pitt team.

That 6-2 record, IMO, is more of a reflection of just how piss poor the ACC is this year, than it is on how well we are playing now, or JB 'righting the ship' kind of mentality/line of thinking. We were a 9 point favorite against GT the other night, and it took 3 reasonable attempt misses at game's end by that endangered opponent to escape in the Dome.

Last edited:
Again we were told multiple times early in the year that the coaches expected a top 25 team.
yeah I’m seeing this storyline played out in multiple posts that we were expected to be not great. And while some folks did think that. It’s just not true for a good portion of the fan base and among the coaches.

Look at the iggy thread and preseason chatter. Top 10 talk.

:)

In our last 8 games, we have beaten only one team that is decent, Wake at home. BC (x2), State, L'ville, GT are all horrendous basketball teams. We lost on the road to a VPI bubble team and a very bad Pitt team.

That 6-2 record, IMO, is more of a reflection of just how piss poor the ACC is this year, than it is on how well we are playing now, or JB 'righting the ship' kind of mentality/line of thinking. We were a 9 point favorite against GT the other night, and it took 3 reasonable attempt misses at game's end by that endangered opponent to escape in the Dome.

The ACC might be piss poor, but since we are beating the bottom dwellers, then SU must only be urine poor (a classier, slightly better version of piss).

I just want to clarify, nothing I have said above detracts from my opinion that you are a great fan. I always enjoy reading your posts.

As I said in my OP, I am more than ready to have this program move forward from Jimmy, and I, too, have shared all of the frustrations relating to the decline and state of this program that you have voiced, I am just trying to salvage a little something from this season and I am trying to give a little credit for what to me is an unexpected mini-resurgence. That is all.
3 weeks ago I thought .500 was a long shot. So yes it is unexpected that they are in their current position. They actually have a chance to get back on the bubble. And other than the Duke game, I think if SU loses any of the other 3 it will be more about SU's performance than the other teams'. They have won a couple they didn't play great in. Earlier in the season they might have lost those too.

I am on record as often being critical of Jimmy, and I am also on record as being in the camp of those who are ready for a change.

That being said, despite the talent and roster limitations, despite the ups and downs and bumps in the road, somehow Jimmy has figured how to get this team to at least win the games they are supposed to win. Somehow he has gotten us in great position to continue the Streak.

I just have to say kudos for the recent turn-around in our fortunes, and let's just hope it can continue enough to keep that Streak going and maybe even get us into the post season even if it is only the Not Important Tournament !!!
This encompasses my whole issue with Jim sinking this program over the last few years. "Hey, we beat a 4 win GT team at home, in OT!!" is such a low bar and it saddens me. A lot. Jim is such an iconic figure at the school, the city and basketball and for it to become this?? It sucks. It really sucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom