Great game by our freshmen! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Great game by our freshmen!

We played Devendorf in the zone for 3 years and people loved him. We are going to have to out score teams to win and I think we will the next couple years with average defense.

As far as shooting goes who the hell do fans want to take our shots when Eli was down? I get wanting to give Buddy a blow, but some fans need their basketball IQ questioned if they want him off the court.

A board icon. Devo was absolutely dreadful on defense. He didn't even try. Did you notice how bad he was when he was playing? Most of our poorer defenders have been at the two. Going back to Marty Headd. We had a mickey Dees 2 guard named Michael brown. Amazing shooter. Another kid that didn't care about defense. Caleb Joseph couldn't guard anyone. That is quick off the top of my head.
There you go! Thank you.

Now which of those guys averaged nearly 40 minutes a game as sophomores?

We played Devendorf in the zone for 3 years and people loved him. We are going to have to out score teams to win and I think we will the next couple years with average defense.

As far as shooting goes who the hell do fans want to take our shots when Eli was down? I get wanting to give Buddy a blow, but some fans need their basketball IQ questioned if they want him off the court.
Do you really think we would have lost by more if buddy had gotten more minutes on the bench?

Anyone remember John Wallace’s closeout on the play where Georgia took the lead against us in 96, right before he hit the game winning 3?
1581477505556.png

There you go! Thank you.

Now which of those guys averaged nearly 40 minutes a game as sophomores?
How about as freshman? Joseph played all the time as a frosh. Devo started as a frosh. So did Mike Brown. You have followed jb for a long time. If a kid plays, he plays a lot.

How about as freshman? Joseph played all the time as a frosh. Devo started as a frosh. So did Mike Brown. You have followed jb for a long time. If a kid plays, he plays a lot.
You’re absolutely right. JB won’t change no matter how much I complain here. I’m done.

Do you really think we would have lost by more if buddy had gotten more minutes on the bench?

I said I understand giving him a blow specifically in my post above so I don’t know why you’re asking me that question. As far as missing shots he had a bad game. Who do you want taking shots with Eli down?

Without Hughes on the floor, where was the office going to come from. With Buddy on the floor, they have to guard him.
At the end of the game, it would have been far more beneficial to have Buddy stand up near half court to truly space the floor.

He missed 6 tonight. Looks like he could use some more.

I've never seen an SU hoops player be so bad on defense get the minutes that buddy does. How about you?
Personal coaching put your kid on the bench. Dnp’s Hurt a little

He wasn’t taking shots. He was passing to the guys in red

He took the second most shots on the team. He and Marek were terrible down the stretch. So was the entire team really. Girard stopped scoring too.

Without Hughes on the floor, where was the offense going to come from. With Buddy on the floor, they have to guard him.

I was wondering if someone would mention that. Not going to argue Buddy had a horrible game but was wondering if the absence of Hughes had an impact on how they played him defensively.

Team won with a Second Team All-American and good offense. Otis Hill was solid, Burgan was a secondary, versatile scorer and Sims/Cipolla could hit an open shot. They were also 6-5, 6-6, 6-7, 6-9, 6-8 around the zone.

This team currently has 6-1 (generous), 6-5, 6-6, 6-10 (who plays like 6-5) and 7-0 (who plays like 6-0).

Team won with a Second Team All-American and good offense. Otis Hill was solid, Burgan was a secondary, versatile scorer and Sims/Cipolla could hit an open shot. They were also 6-5, 6-6, 6-7, 6-9, 6-8 around the zone.

This team currently has 6-1 (generous), 6-5, 6-6, 6-10 (who plays like 6-5) and 7-0 (who plays like 6-0).

I don’t know about Sims hitting open shots(though he hit a few huge ones in that Georgia game!), but what a PG in terms of getting the ball to the right guys at the right times.

That was a team where I think all the key guys got the most out of their ability that year and played their roles well and played well together.

You’re absolutely right. JB won’t change no matter how much I complain here. I’m done.

I suggested recently that folks with ideas actually call in to Coach's weekly show like SWC75 does. Word your question kindly, maybe even try to sound naive, and it may have more of a chance(I haven't listened to the show, just am using logic to guess what would help).

Yes! We have to get back to being one of the tallest teams in the country, and we will next year.

I don't agree that Buddy should play 40 minutes per game. But, to answer the question asked...probably. You saw what happened to Buddy when NC State was able to shift its defense to concentrate on him in Eli's absence. Now take a struggling offense and shift the defense again to concentrate on Joe while Eli is injured and Buddy is sitting.

Would we have lost by more? Quite possibly, because JGIII might not have gotten the points he did if Buddy wasn't on the floor drawing some of the defensive attention.

Redshirting one C and having 2 get hurt doesn't help the rotation even though who knows what Jim would have done even if Braswell was ok to play.

To get Q some rest, since Jim saw that he was tired, why not swing Buddy over to the 3 for 2 or 3 minutes and get Goodine some minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom