Great point on WVU lawsuit... | Syracusefan.com

Great point on WVU lawsuit...

44PRIDE

All Conference
Great thread from the PittRivals site with a good breakdown of the suit. That poster makes a great point with the following:

"Best argument of all, you let MIAMI and VT out along with TCU with not enforcing the notice clause and waiving it and BC later, so why force WVU now to obey it, especially since you were preparing to replace WVU the entire time and can do it now without the need for the 27 month delay???"

Great thread from the PittRivals site with a good breakdown of the suit. That poster makes a great point with the following:

"Best argument of all, you let MIAMI and VT out along with TCU with not enforcing the notice clause and waiving it and BC later, so why force WVU now to obey it, especially since you were preparing to replace WVU the entire time and can do it now without the need for the 27 month delay???"
Question - did the 27 month notice clause exist before UM and VT left? I thought it was an outcome of their leaving. I could be wrong. TCU technically didn't apply, since they hadn't officially 'joined' the conference.

All well and true, but how does that allow the Big East higher ups to stick it to the party poopers?

Question - did the 27 month notice clause exist before UM and VT left? I thought it was an outcome of their leaving. I could be wrong. TCU technically didn't apply, since they hadn't officially 'joined' the conference.
But they still have to pay the $5 million exit fee?

ummmm, the 27-month period was added after VPI, UM & BCU left.

The BE may enforce it since WVU agreed to those conditions. It's really not that hard.

Ideally the BE finds better replacements in time for July 1st 2012, collects exit fees (probably >$5M) and lets everyone move on to their new homes. I suspect the BE won't be so nasty if the poaching conferences agree to back the BE's AQ status in the next round of negotiations.

I suspect the BE won't be so nasty if the poaching conferences agree to back the BE's AQ status in the next round of negotiations.
This is key. I believe this will happen. Plus, how are you going to tell the US Govt that they are taking away the AQ status from Navy and Air Force? That would be inviting government involvement.

believe the 27 months came after the initial leaves...also, a law professor at WVU wrote the wording...how bout them mountineers...smart enough to get themselves hooked

I don't believe the 27 month was in effect when miami and viginia tech left, I'm not so sure about bc. I hope wv finds a way to wiggle us out of the big east as well.

It's going to come down to how enforceable is the 27 months really. What if you just don't agree and set up a Big 12 schedule next year? What do they do? What does the agreement say happens from there?

SU and Pitt likely didn't want to take on the legal cost of challenging it, or being stuck in court for damages after all. But if WVU does, and thinks they have more of a case because they can point to a Big East post-SU and Pitt announcements, then we all sit back and watch a precedent unfold.

If the Big East adds 6 teams this week and they will all play in the league effective 2012, SU should file to get out immediately. Could just come down to a reasonableness test from the judge you get. And at that point, it's reasonable that SU and Pitt should be able to move on, as the Big East has. Big East wouldn't appeal that decision, they'd know it's not worth the continued fight.

WVU is doing the dirty work. Like the main name on a civil lawsuit. And the BE will fight this with every fiber. They have their AQ status in place for the next 2 years guaranteed. They have no fear of losing the AQ status current and because in 2 years there may be no more Big East. So why not fight it. If I am the BE I would. Just for spite.

WVU is doing the dirty work. Like the main name on a civil lawsuit. And the BE will fight this with every fiber. They have their AQ status in place for the next 2 years guaranteed. They have no fear of losing the AQ status current and because in 2 years there may be no more Big East. So why not fight it. If I am the BE I would. Just for spite.

I thought they couldn't lose the AQ status for the next two years regardless, as long as they have at least 8 members. Which would mean adding 2 ASAP.

Right. They can't lose the AQ status as long as they have 8 teams for the next 2 years. After that they is no way they keep the AQ status if the league even exists at that point. So why not force Pitt, SU, and WVU to stay. They can add 2 right now or 6. Doesn't matter. Because Louisville, UConn, and Rutgers are still going to try and head for another conference between now and 2014. And by then the league will be toast.

I guess the crux of these negotiations center around getting the ACC, SEC and B12 to vote for the Big East to keep its BCS AQ status beyond 2014.

At this point, I imagine the money is secondary to that.

Pretty sad however that there are 2 CUSA schools in the top 25 in the BCS and only one BE. Makes you wonder who should have the AQ.