Greatest Crow Chef SU Player of all time | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Greatest Crow Chef SU Player of all time

This is a great question. I feel like it depends on if you mean crow as in, no one was happy we recruited/got the player, but he turned out ok. Or as in, he started off horrible and then improved and became a great player.

For the first one, I feel like a lot of people weren't excited at all about Hakim Warrick, especially because we lost out on Julius Hodge to get him. Turned out ok. Honorable mention to Andy Rautins who a lot of people thought was just a favor to his dad.

In terms of improvement, Fab Melo freshman-to-sophomore year, and Rak, junior-to-senior year.

Brandon Triche, maybe. I recall early on him being called a "head case" because they didn't understand his stoic poker face or something.
We had posters on this board who could do a complete psychological profile on BT based on a five second shot of the team huddle as the broadcast was going to commercial.

I would add Danny Schayes to this list. 18 year NBA career. 18!

This is a great question. I feel like it depends on if you mean crow as in, no one was happy we recruited/got the player, but he turned out ok. Or as in, he started off horrible and then improved and became a great player.

For the first one, I feel like a lot of people weren't excited at all about Hakim Warrick, especially because we lost out on Julius Hodge to get him. Turned out ok. Honorable mention to Andy Rautins who a lot of people thought was just a favor to his dad.

In terms of improvement, Fab Melo freshman-to-sophomore year, and Rak, junior-to-senior year.

I read this as being more the second version - was awful as a Frosh, fans hated them, and then turned out way better than initially anticipated.

So besides Rak (and Fab - R.I.P.), Rony Seikaly is for sure on the All-Time Crow Chef team for Bigs.
He literally had zero basketball skills when he arrived on campus; he could tomahawk dunk, and foul dudes, and that was it.
That he went on to be an AA player, and had a decade long NBA career where he averaged nearly a double-double would be completely inconceivable to anybody who saw him as a Frosh.

As far as "meh" or "plan B" recruits that ended up being awesome, Sherm & Hak are your All-Timers.

Scoop's senior year at the Dome against UCONN. My now wife and I sitting were sitting at about the 50 yard line, and I was complaining to her about how awful he is and how much I can't stand him. He scored 21 that day. So yeah.

speaking of consolation picks - the General says hello. If I recall, we were after King Rice in Binghamton.

I think it was Boo Harvey, who had to go to San Jacinto and then transferred to St. John's.

Sherm, the General, was a low expectation consolation pick who played sparingly as a frosh backup to the Pearl. He then went on to break the all-time NCAA assist record!!! The hike was the prelude to Hak's block in terms of plays never to be forgotten.

Which SU player, over your fanhood, do you believe by the end of their career had served up the most crow to his non-believers/haters?

I think it will be Frank, but as it stands now its hard to argue against cooney or scoop.

Cooney? The alleged shooter who threw up more airballs and side of the board shots I've ever seen?

Cooney? The alleged shooter who threw up more airballs and side of the board shots I've ever seen?

Yeah, I don't recall Cooney serving me any crow. Maybe he said the word 'crow' when he made half a dozen driving layups and generally did a nice job playing within his abilities for the last five games of his career, which pleasantly surprised us all. Like nearly everyone who earns playing time for Boeheim, his defense improved a lot, but he was the same offensively-inefficient player for four years. No crow, unfortunately.

Oh man its gotta be Rak, yeah

Its Rak and its not even close. dude was considered a very soft bust and turned in the single best Career transformation ive seen in college hoops as a Senior.

Scoop's senior year at the Dome against UCONN. My now wife and I sitting were sitting at about the 50 yard line, and I was complaining to her about how awful he is and how much I can't stand him. He scored 21 that day. So yeah.

I'm impressed that she still married you despite making her sit on the 50 yard line for a basketball game.

;)

And Scoop must have looked especially bad since your only view from there would have been a hot dog stand. :cool:

Its Rak and its not even close. dude was considered a very soft bust and turned in the single best Career transformation ive seen in college hoops as a Senior.
Rak is a great selection but I am surprised more people haven't mentioned Jonny. After all, he was just a throw in.

Rak is a great selection but I am surprised more people haven't mentioned Jonny. After all, he was just a throw in.

Flynn was a fantastic player for us, but wouldn't he be a bit on the overrated side, if anything?

Last edited:
Here's something to chew on.

Cooney's career effective field goal percentage is 47%. Tyus Battle's is 48%.
I really don’t blame Cooney for what happened to him.
I blame JB more for not developing an alternative that could eat up some of Cooney’s minutes. If Cooney played 8 less MPG he is a better efficient player.
Last year we had no choice to not have depth after Thorpe left.

I read this as being more the second version - was awful as a Frosh, fans hated them, and then turned out way better than initially anticipated.

So besides Rak (and Fab - R.I.P.), Rony Seikaly is for sure on the All-Time Crow Chef team for Bigs.
He literally had zero basketball skills when he arrived on campus; he could tomahawk dunk, and foul dudes, and that was it.
That he went on to be an AA player, and had a decade long NBA career where he averaged nearly a double-double would be completely inconceivable to anybody who saw him as a Frosh.

As far as "meh" or "plan B" recruits that ended up being awesome, Sherm & Hak are your All-Timers.
As bad as we all remember freshman Rony, he still averaged 8.1 ppg and 6.4 rpg in 25 mpg. Not bad stats at all especially considering his lack of experience and that he also averaged 3.9 fouls per games.

He was the first ever pick of the Miami Heat and once scored 40 points in an NBA game and once had 34 rebounds in a game. Very solid.

Flynn was a fantastic player for us, but if anything, wouldn't he be a bit on the overrated side, if anything?

He is talking about when Johnny first committed. He blew up way after that. The throw in was the assumption because he was buddies with Paul Harris.

Flynn was a fantastic player for us, but wouldn't he be a bit on the overrated side, if anything?
He is talking about when Johnny first committed. He blew up way after that. The throw in was the assumption because he was buddies with Paul Harris.
Yup. IIRC, he committed fairly early in the process. Just a little skinny kid from NFHS. I think if anyone overrated him it would have been the GM of the T-Wolves.

I really don’t blame Cooney for what happened to him.
I blame JB more for not developing an alternative that could eat up some of Cooney’s minutes. If Cooney played 8 less MPG he is a better efficient player.
Last year we had no choice to not have depth after Thorpe left.

Yeah my point was people create narratives about certain players when stats say otherwise.

As bad as we all remember freshman Rony, he still averaged 8.1 ppg and 6.4 rpg in 25 mpg. Not bad stats at all especially considering his lack of experience and that he also averaged 3.9 fouls per games.

He was the first ever pick of the Miami Heat and once scored 40 points in an NBA game and once had 34 rebounds in a game. Very solid.

If a freshman big put up those numbers for Boeheim in 2018, it would be a full-blown miracle.

And Chukwu's a dark horse here as well. I don't think he's nearly as bad as he gets credit for.

I'll be waiting for a giant bowl of that crow!

But just in case, I'm probably going to have a snack just so I don't go hungry...

I'll be waiting for a giant bowl of that crow!

But just in case, I'm probably going to have a snack just so I don't go hungry...

Question is, what would be the crow threshold for the big guy? Minutes, stats, eye test? Fewer panic-stricken missed layups?

Question is, what would be the crow threshold for the big guy? Minutes, stats, eye test? Fewer panic-stricken missed layups?

I would just settle for never catching an alley oop and bringing it to the floor. If he dunks, or attempts to dunk, with some semblance of authority every time he gets thrown an alley oop this year, I'm digging into a steaming bowl of crow.

By the way, I'm not sure if you meant it as an ironic pun, but the "eye test" is probably not something we should use when referencing PC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom