Greatest Crow Chef SU Player of all time | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Greatest Crow Chef SU Player of all time

Frank could end up one of our better point guards all time.

Frank could end up one of our better point guards all time.
Not a good passer IMO and that's the main job of a point guard. Guys like Leo Rautins and Sherman Douglas had that knack. Frank does not. I'd say Lazarus Sims was much more underrated than Frank and ended up being a better PG.

Not a good passer IMO and that's the main job of a point guard. Guys like Leo Rautins and Sherman Douglas had that knack. Frank does not. I'd say Lazarus Sims was much more underrated than Frank and ended up being a better PG.

Its hard to pass to people when opponents can afford to double team his two scoring options nearly at all times

I think people were easy on Andy Rautins being a legacy recruit but I know there were many who doubted he'd ever have been on SU if it wasn't for pops. Did anyone think he'd turn out as well as he did after his Freshman year? Every year the guy came back better, stronger, and with new tricks. Amazing development YOY.

Here's something to chew on.

Cooney's career effective field goal percentage is 47%. Tyus Battle's is 48%.

Eh, maybe Battle's too inefficient as well. I guess that argument could be made with or without stats after his sophomore season. Lot of low-percentage step-backs. Anyway, he's a heck of a lot more dynamic and skilled; that can mask some inefficiencies. And I hope that number jumps in a few months.

Its hard to pass to people when opponents can afford to double team his two scoring options nearly at all times
True... but I still don't think he is a good passer. Passing is an instinct. Some have it. Some don't. On the flip side, his outside shooting improved a lot last year and hoping for more this year. Maybe he can be more effective on a wing.

True... but I still don't think he is a good passer. Passing is an instinct. Some have it. Some don't. On the flip side, his outside shooting improved a lot last year and hoping for more this year. Maybe he can be more effective on a wing.

His passing is why many of us thought he would be a good even with all the drama of his frosh and soph seasons. He really had to dial it back this past year because there was literally no one else to pass to besides Battle and Oshae.

The thing about passing is we notice it most when a guard blazes a pass to a big in the middle or someone cutting to the basket. Frank really had neither of those options last year.

His passing is why many of us thought he would be a good even with all the drama of his frosh and soph seasons. He really had to dial it back this past year because there was literally no one else to pass to besides Battle and Oshae.

The thing about passing is we notice it most when a guard blazes a pass to a big in the middle or someone cutting to the basket. Frank really had neither of those options last year.
I am just saying when he did pass, they weren't good passes. I don't think he has that innate ability that a PG needs. That's not to say he is no good. He's a good and can be useful. I just don't see him as our PG.

And how many times did we see Dolezaj at the wing with no one on him and Frank and Battle refused to pass it? It was ridiculous. Even if you think he won't be able to make a jump shot, it can still lead to other things. There is no passing instinct. As we learne Dolezaj actually has that ability. He's a good passer. That's why you pass to him on the wing.

Last edited:

Passing is a strength of his. It’s ehy we recruited him and transistioned him into a full time PG. His problem is he’s sometimes a high risk high reward passer. Go back to his freshman year and you’ll see plenty of sweet passes and that’s why a lot of people were high on him. Last year was the perfect storm. Many of his passes went unfinished plus he was called upon to be more a scorer.

Passing is a strength of his. It’s ehy we recruited him and transistioned him into a full time PG. His problem is he’s sometimes a high risk high reward passer. Go back to his freshman year and you’ll see plenty of sweet passes and that’s why a lot of people were high on him. Last year was the perfect storm. Many of his passes went unfinished plus he was called upon to be more a scorer.
I understand where you guys are coming from and have watched SU basketball since the early 70s including Frank's freshman year. With that said, I just disagree with you that he's a good passer. It's ok that we disagree. Maybe I will eat crow as he progresses but I don't see that innate sense and ability in him. If you do, that's fine.

I understand where you guys are coming from and have watched SU basketball since the early 70s including Frank's freshman year. With that said, I just disagree with you that he's a good passer. It's ok that we disagree. Maybe I will eat crow as he progresses but I don't see that innate sense and ability in him. If you do, that's fine.

Fair enough. He did take a step back this year, and I think that's likely him not trusting anyone other than Tyus and Oshae. He'll have more options this year, so we can judge him again at the end.

I hope Bees and I are correct and you'll be sitting right next to me eating your Frank crow while I'm chomping down my Chukwu crow.

Fair enough. He did take a step back this year, and I think that's likely him not trusting anyone other than Tyus and Oshae. He'll have more options this year, so we can judge him again at the end.

I hope Bees and I are correct and you'll be sitting right next to me eating your Frank crow while I'm chomping down my Chukwu crow.
Ha...I like Chukwu a lot. I think he will be a presence on both sides this year.

Nahh, the answer to this is definitely Rak. I remember battling more than a few regulars that he was going to be very good. What happened to him his final year was horrendous. Syracuse Was Aided by Self-Imposed Ban, but a Player Paid a Price
Not Rak. He was highly rated, then he played poorly for 3 years, then he finally played to his rating, which is what we all expected when he signed. Andy was NEVER highly thought of and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that thought he would ever be a starter, no less an NBA prospect.

I will argue to the end of my days that Rak’s leash was far too short his sophomore and junior years. He did not play poorly or bust. I’d argue he was hardly given and opportunity to succeed due to depth of talent around him that made platooning him out for BMK so much easier.

Don't think so. He played behind Rosey until his senior year.
Right. He didn't play much till his senior year. A lot of people were saying he was a bust.

I will argue to the end of my days that Rak’s leash was far too short his sophomore and junior years. He did not play poorly or bust. I’d argue he was hardly given and opportunity to succeed due to depth of talent around him that made platooning him out for BMK so much easier.

You and me both brother.

Right. He didn't play much till his senior year. A lot of people were saying he was a bust.
Although he did play in 20+ games in each of his 4 years. He had over 100+ FGA in each of his Soph, Jr, and Sr years (almost 300 in his Sr year).

I'll never forget the 1980 game at nationally-ranked Purdue. Purdue had Joe Barry Carroll and JB played a good part of the game with both Bouie and Danny in at the same time in an effort to offset JBC. And they did, coming away with a 66-61 win on the road.

Interesting side note: one of JBC's teammate on that Purdue team was current head-coaching disaster Kevin Stallings.

Edit: It was a frustrating time shortly after the game, as all we needed to do was win at Old Dominion the next Saturday and we would be #1 (we were #2 after beating Purdue) because #1 had lost (can't remember who that was). And we ended up losing that game 68-67. :(

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom