Greatest living baseball player | Syracusefan.com

Greatest living baseball player

Vshukla

Walk On
With the passing of Willie Mays, who gets your vote as the greatest living baseball player?

A couple of names that came to mind right away for me:
Sandy Koufax
Pedro Martinez
Ricky Henderson
Albert Pujols

Last edited:
good names above. if we're full tool belt guys (power, avg., speed, fielding)
i think ken griffey jr and Arod should at least be on the ballot.

What are the odds of him and his Godfather both end up being the greatest living ball players? Pretty crazy if you think about it.

Bonds and it is not close.

Agreed.

I think the question with more meat to discuss is who is the Greatest Living "Hall of Fame" baseball player. (And Bonds does not qualify for that, whether someone things its fair or not)

also let's not forget that johnny bench is ranked by many as the greatest catcher ever to play the game . he checks all the boxes. offense, defense and leadership with a couple rings. and no roids (but he did test positive for blue emu.)

Last edited:
Using this list to identify candidates for best living hall of Famer. So don't have to agree with how the 25 are ranked, but should sort out the top candidates.

11. Pedro Martinez
13, Ken Griffey Jr.
14. Greg Maddux
18. Mike Schmidt
22. Tom Seaver
23. Rickey Henderson
24, Randy Johnson
28. Johnny Bench
29. Derek Jeter
31. Mariano Rivera

Using this list to identify candidates for best living hall of Famer. So don't have to agree with how the 25 are ranked, but should sort out the top candidates.

11. Pedro Martinez
13, Ken Griffey Jr.
14. Greg Maddux
18. Mike Schmidt
22. Tom Seaver
23. Rickey Henderson
24, Randy Johnson
28. Johnny Bench
29. Derek Jeter
31. Mariano Rivera

Alas, Seaver got Covid and didn't make it.

I'm not convinced a pitcher belongs on that list anyhow, but that's a different story.

11. Pedro Martinez
13, Ken Griffey Jr.
14. Greg Maddux
18. Mike Schmidt
22. Tom Seaver
23. Rickey Henderson
24, Randy Johnson
28. Johnny Bench
29. Derek Jeter
31. Mariano Rivera
I feel like Steve Carlton should get more recognition. Not saying he is the greatest living HOF but he was dominant for a long time.

Bonds and it is not close.
Bonds would probably never come out and say he is the current greatest, but I can think of a few guys who would toot their own horn: Rose, ARod, Reggie, maybe Rickey.

this just reminds me of how terrible the HOF voting is lol

I bet Willie Mays used to chuckle to himself when Joe DiMaggio would insist on being introduced as the greatest living ballplayer. If there was a definition in the dictionary of a five tool player then Willie's picture would be Exhibit A.

I bet Willie Mays used to chuckle to himself when Joe DiMaggio would insist on being introduced as the greatest living ballplayer. If there was a definition in the dictionary of a five tool player then Willie's picture would be Exhibit A.
Joe D was a dick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom