Greg Swaim | Syracusefan.com

Greg Swaim

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
Claims Missouri has offers from both the SEC and B10. The plot thickens.

hmmm...that's interesting.

If true (and I have my doubts), its probably the best news that RU could have heard.

If that's true WVU should be jumping for joy. MO has wanted the Big 10 from the get-go. The question is, who is going with them?

If the B12 was going to lose to Mizzou, and they have B1G AND SEC offers its awful news. Because then the B12 has to add BYU as the 9th, and Louisville, West Virginia, TCU gets back to 12. The Big East is down to UConn, Rutgers, South Florida, Cincinnati, and Big East football is dead which forces Notre Dame's hand. Let's say Notre Dame decides to go the ACC freaking UConn gets 16th slot which allow Rutgers into the B1G as the 14th. This IS NOT WHAT WE WANT. Missouri better go to the SEC and not the B1G because best case scenario is ND is the B1G's 13 and Mizzou is 14.

I called it !! Missouri would much rather be in the Big 10 - they look down their noses at the academic profiles of the SEC schools. This puts the Big 10 in an uneven number again. One more run at ND, then do they stay at an odd number again, or do they bite the bullet and choose among UConn and Rutgers? This is great.

I still think the B1G doesn't take Mizzou without Texas, just like RU isn't going without ND. Really why would the B1G care if Mizzou goes to the SEC? KU can easily replace them if you need a 16th.

B1G might draw four and end up with Mizzou, Notre Dame, UConn & Rutgers. Not good.

Notre Dame isn't going anywhere any time soon

If the B12 was going to lose to Mizzou, and they have B1G AND SEC offers its awful news. Because then the B12 has to add BYU as the 9th, and Louisville, West Virginia, TCU gets back to 12. The Big East is down to UConn, Rutgers, South Florida, Cincinnati, and Big East football is dead which forces Notre Dame's hand. Let's say Notre Dame decides to go the ACC freaking UConn gets 16th slot which allow Rutgers into the B1G as the 14th. This IS NOT WHAT WE WANT. Missouri better go to the SEC and not the B1G because best case scenario is ND is the B1G's 13 and Mizzou is 14.

No way they take RU without ND. Remember these are college presidents making the decision, not TV networks. They rather stay Midwestern and take KU as #14 than take RU. And I doubt the ACC takes UConn over RU anyway.

Kansas as #14. New market, in the geographic footprint, AAU school, and the team is a natural rival to Missouri, Nebraska, and Iowa. Makes a lot more sense than any other school I see mentioned outside Notre Dame.

If Missouri goes to the SEC, I don't see the BIG 10 expanding unless ND becomes available. They don't need to.

No way they take RU without ND. Remember these are college presidents making the decision, not TV networks. They rather stay Midwestern and take KU as #14 than take RU. And I doubt the ACC takes UConn over RU anyway.
Remember ALL B12 teams have given their 1st and 2nd tier rights for 6 years KU isn't getting out of that. Mizzou hasn't commited, and if they have a B1G invite and are the 13th team. B1G goes to ND and if they say we are going to the ACC then the B1G has to go to RU because while they aren't ideal they are an AAU university which UConn isn't and gives Penn State an eastern rival. RU > KU even if KU could get out. KU has no TV sets and RU's football is better than KU's. Remember until the B12 was going to blow up Kansas was going to be left out. UT, TTU, OU,OSU were going to PAC-12, and KU was going to be SOL I have no idea who the ACC prefers between UConn and RU, but I will say I would prefer UConn to RU because atleast they have 3 NC in 12 yrs in basketball and RU has 1 NC appearance in Women's basketball as their high water mark athletically during the same period.

Remember ALL B12 teams have given their 1st and 2nd tier rights for 6 years KU isn't getting out of that. Mizzou hasn't commited, and if they have a B1G invite and are the 13th team. B1G goes to ND and if they say we are going to the ACC then the B1G has to go to RU because while they aren't ideal they are an AAU university which UConn isn't and gives Penn State an eastern rival. RU > KU even if KU could get out. KU has no TV sets and RU's football is better than KU's. Remember until the B12 was going to blow up Kansas was going to be left out. UT, TTU, OU,OSU were going to PAC-12, and KU was going to be SOL I have no idea who the ACC prefers between UConn and RU, but I will say I would prefer UConn to RU because atleast they have 3 NC in 12 yrs in basketball and RU has 1 NC appearance in Women's basketball as their high water mark athletically during the same period.

You kidding right? First the B1G could certainly wait 6 years at 13. Second it is just proposed it isn't set in stone yet. Third KU has accomplished waaaay more than RU in FB. Fourth KU has more influence in KC than RU has in NY. Fifth KU has a Top 5 BBall program adding programming for the BTN. Sixth who cares what internet rumors of who gets left out are. That isn't REALITY. No one thought Nebraska was going to be #12. Seventh you are waaay underestimating the importance of culture. KU fits, RU not even close.

-------------------

Where does Greg Swaim say Missouri has B10 offer?????

In a recent article, he says:

"One thing that was said during the press conference was that Missouri was attractive to other conferences (plural) and the SEC may not be the only option, but also the Big Ten."

That's very different than claiming UM has an (informal) offer.

Does anyone believe that UM would be sitting on an informal Big 10 offer??????

You kidding right? First the B1G could certainly wait 6 years at 13. Second it is just proposed it isn't set in stone yet. Third KU has accomplished waaaay more than RU in FB. Fourth KU has more influence in KC than RU has in NY. Fifth KU has a Top 5 BBall program adding programming for the BTN. Sixth who cares what internet rumors of who gets left out are. That isn't REALITY. No one thought Nebraska was going to be #12. Seventh you are waaay underestimating the importance of culture. KU fits, RU not even close.
Look at populations the State of Kansas vs. New Jersey I am making Kaiser's point. Rutgers opens up 8.8 million people(NJ 11th most populated state in the USA) and their TVs to the BTN. While Kansas opens up 2.8 million people( Kansas 33rd most populated state in the USA) to the BTN. BTN has a provision in their K that states any state which a B1G resides must offer the BTN on its basic cable subscription. The cash for 8.8 million TVs v. 2.8 million is 3 times as large. All the B1G cares about is money if they expand. Also, NJ HS talent >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> KS HS talent. I am just saying I agree with Kaiser's point that RU has more value than most wanna give them credit for. B1G won't add Kansas I agree with others who are saying if Mizzou went to the B1G then maybe Texas would go or Notre Dame would go, but rest assured Rutgers brings more to the B1G than Kansas.

-------------------

Where does Greg Swaim say Missouri has B10 offer?????

In a recent article, he says:

"One thing that was said during the press conference was that Missouri was attractive to other conferences (plural) and the SEC may not be the only option, but also the Big Ten."

That's very different than claiming UM has an (informal) offer.

Does anyone believe that UM would be sitting on an informal Big 10 offer??????

GSwaim BigTime TV/Radio

#Mizzou has #SEC offer, but do they have #B1G offer? A source in Chicago tells us tonight they do. More Wednesday at GregSwaim.com

Big East is going to lose somebody, regardless. Louisville seems desirable to both the Big 12 and the SEC. TCU will never end officially land here. That will already weaken Big East football enough to go below the minimum BCS bid number. Cinci and WVU are not as desirable as other players, but could also move to the Big 12 and maybe WVU as a long shot to the SEC, after the ACC schools turn the SEC down.

The only thing that really hurts us, vis-a-vis UConn and Rutgers is if the ACC loses a team or more to the SEC.

If an ACC team were to jump, it would be the less prestigious in terms of academics. It would like be Fla State or Clemson. Va Tech isn't going anywhere, after what their Gov. pulled in 2003. A loss of either would hurt the ACC, and would turn them to UConn, and maybe even Rutgers.

So #1 we want all ACC teams to remain.

#2, we want Missouri to leave the Big 12, forcing them to poach some Big East team(s), as they get down to only 8. They would have to take at least 1 Big East team at that point, it wouldn't be a choice of BYU or TCU or both, unless they took only those 2 and remained at 10 teams.

But even that would further wound the Big East by stealing TCU away.

Missouri to SEC might be OK for SU, because the SEC might then stop at 14 teams for now. We want enough movement to hurt the Big East, but not so much that everybody quickly goes to 16 teams.

I think, in the end, we are not going to get Notre Dame or Penn State to the ACC, so barring that, it's better for us that they stay at 14 with the current line up of schools for as long as possible. Leave the remaining schools in destabilized leagues, with dwindling TV revenues over time, as their schools turning into stepping stone schools instead of destinations for coaches.

GSwaim BigTime TV/Radio

"@sportswhackMatt: @GSwaim B1G will not expand with Mizzou only. What's your source saying in regards to other schools? // #Rutgers
That would be their pre-emptive version of what the ACC did with Pitt and SU, trying to pin in Notre Dame and keeping a toe in the NY market. Surprise move by Delaney, if true. Rutgers will always blow, though. Why bother adding another Northwestern, but with lesser, but fairly good, academics?

UConn must be feeling like about the last kid picked at dodge ball, once they hear this.

That would be their pre-emptive version of what the ACC did with Pitt and SU, trying to pin in Notre Dame and keeping a toe in the NY market. Surprise move by Delaney, if true. Rutgers will always blow, though. Why bother adding another Northwestern, but with lesser, but fairly good, academics?

UConn must be feeling like about the last kid picked at dodge ball, once they hear this.

What do they expect? They have a 40k stadium and just moved up from the FCS a few years ago. Meanwhile Syracuse has one of the largest stadiums for a private school, and is one of the most historic teams in the sport. Rutgers in the B1G could easily expand their stadium to 60k, as I assume more people will show up to watch OSU and PSU, than Cincinnati and South Florida. They don't have a winning history, but they still have some history. UConn has nothing going for them on the football side of things.

Personally I'm not sure I believe the Missouri offer. For a variety of reasons, I've begun the belief the Big Ten will let Missouri go to the SEC and not necessarily because of a lack of interest. I just think they're committed to staying the course and they're fine with Rutgers and Maryland joining Notre Dame and Texas, if that's how it all shakes out.

Personally I'm not sure I believe the Missouri offer. For a variety of reasons, I've begun the belief the Big Ten will let Missouri go to the SEC and not necessarily because of a lack of interest. I just think they're committed to staying the course and they're fine with Rutgers and Maryland joining Notre Dame and Texas, if that's how it all shakes out.
I think you are dreaming on that package. Maybe Texas and Rutgers, but where does Maryland get $20m dollars to exit? Notre Dame? Maybe the fourth time would be a charm...

I don't think Maryland wants anything to do with the Big 10. They want Tobacco Road hoops.

At this point, I would be shocked if any teams left the ACC. The TV money between the two conferences will be similar. And while FSU has been thrown out as an expansion candidate, I just don't see why their football centric fanbase would choose to make their path to a BCS bowl infinetly harder by playing in the SEC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom