Greg Webb | Syracusefan.com

Greg Webb

DT Greg Webb to Ped State.

Webb's HS, Timber Creek has at least four BCS players on their roster this year. One of their assistant coaches is a former SU walk on. Hes never heard from anyone at SU about players. Another missed opportunity in NJ...

Webb's HS, Timber Creek has at least four BCS players on their roster this year. One of their assistant coaches is a former SU walk on. Hes never heard from anyone at SU about players. Another missed opportunity in NJ...
Didn't we offer Webb?

Did the walk-on leave on good terms? Still has a favorable view of the program?

Do we typically talk to assistants, or only the head coach?

I don't think you know the answers, honestly. Think you're just trying to throw stones and be annoying.

kid had like 30 offers, I doubt we missed an opportunity with him.

First of all, they had 2 BCS scholarship players, Webb and LB who is going to Rutgers. 2nd, Timber Creek is so far south in NJ, it is almost in Delaware (it's south of Philly, for crikey sake), so let's not pretend it's in the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT).

And Webb had 32 offers, including pretty much every top 20 program - there was no way we were going to get him anyway.

Didn't we offer Webb?

Did the walk-on leave on good terms? Still has a favorable view of the program?

Do we typically talk to assistants, or only the head coach?

I don't think you know the answers, honestly. Think you're just trying to throw stones and be annoying.

I know the answer to all of your questions. Yes to all. I'm not trying to throw stones. I'm making a point that when you have a built in relationship with one of the top schools in NJ you should probably contact that person. Recruiting is all about relationships. The fact that he has had no interaction with the staff is terrible. Sure, SU had no shot with webb but what about the other four BCS kids? Offering isn't recruiting.

They sure as hell better be talking to assistants, especially one with a Syracuse degree. I tend to think they don't even know he coaches there.

Thanks for questioning my knowledge though, Java.

First of all, they had 2 BCS scholarship players, Webb and LB who is going to Rutgers. 2nd, Timber Creek is so far south in NJ, it is almost in Delaware (it's south of Philly, for crikey sake), so let's not pretend it's in the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT).

And Webb had 32 offers, including pretty much every top 20 program - there was no way we were going to get him anyway.

They have four or five BCS recruits this year alone. That doesn't count the LB from 2012 going to RU or the LB from two years ago to Iowa.

So because the school is in the southern part of NJ we shouldnt recruit there? It's still within 5 hours of campus. Much closer than Michigan, Georgia, Colorado, etc where this staff is spending too much time.

I know SU had no shot with Webb, but that is not the point. The point is they have a connection to one of the top schools own NJ (second most d-1 kids the last few years to Bosco) and aren't taking advantage. Just another reason I am worried about recruiting and thus the state of the program. Take it for what it's worth.

Thanks for questioning my knowledge though, Java.
Hey, no problem. I have no way of verifying if what you say is true, but given the snarky delivery of your original comment (I cannot stand that trailing ellipsis), I do indeed suspect that your intent was to throw stones.

Why don't you report that you are surprised the staff (apparently) hasn't done what you think they should do, and that you have written to them to let them know where they erred? That would be a constructive report on improving the program. If it is something so glaring - a structural deficiency in their approach, it would seem - surely it should be brought to someone's attention up on the hill.

How many times I gotta jump in and vouch for you man? Deepthrowit knows more about recruiting, especially in the northeast, than every other poster combined on this site.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

How many times I gotta jump in and vouch for you man? Deepthrowit knows more about recruiting, especially in the northeast, than every other poster combined on this site.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I think that is being generous but thanks Bees.

Great, wonderful, bully and all that. I look forward to future reports on how that knowledge has been put to use to help our staff and program.

They have four or five BCS recruits this year alone. That doesn't count the LB from 2012 going to RU or the LB from two years ago to Iowa.

So because the school is in the southern part of NJ we shouldnt recruit there? It's still within 5 hours of campus. Much closer than Michigan, Georgia, Colorado, etc where this staff is spending too much time.

I know SU had no shot with Webb, but that is not the point. The point is they have a connection to one of the top schools own NJ (second most d-1 kids the last few years to Bosco) and aren't taking advantage. Just another reason I am worried about recruiting and thus the state of the program. Take it for what it's worth.

I'm not saying we shouldn't recruit there, merely that because it is NJ, a lot of people think we should have an advantage. Would you have made as big a deal if, say, this HS was in Delaware? You can probably get from SU to Delaware faster than to this HS.

You say that this staff is spending way too much time in Georgia, Michigan and Colorado. What info do you have to support this? We got two players from Colorado, both from the same HS. I don't know exactly how much time the staff has spent there since, but I doubt it's much.

We have had some success lately in getting good players from GA and MI. Again, I don't know exactly how much time the staff is spending in those two states, but if we're getting starting players from there, I don't have much problem with it, since the overall talent level is pretty damn high in those states and Adkins and Wheatley have pretty deep connections there that might be saving them a lot of time on the ground by tipping them off to players that fit our target profiles.

Maybe you are more qualified than the current staff to plan SU's recruiting. If so, I encourage you to apply for the job of recruiting coordinator.

I don't understand how some posters continually rag on others that have an obvious knowledge of the topics they post on. The call them out and when it gets turned back on them, they are the ones that get offended. Nice.

Keep posting Deep, I am sure most of us appreciate the info and find it worthy of reading. I know I do.

I think all java was trying to say is keep it positive. Nothing more, nothing less. Appreciate the info Deep.

Great, wonderful, bully and all that. I look forward to future reports on how that knowledge has been put to use to help our staff and program.
Isn't it possible that SU just is just not recruiting New Jersey very hard? Maybe the staff just isn't interested.

I think all java was trying to say is keep it positive. Nothing more, nothing less. Appreciate the info Deep.

Well I think it's evident that they aren't recruiting NJ very hard- geeze I hope what we are seeing in NJ isn't the all out press.. I don't care if they do or they don't recruit NJ but lets hope they have decided NOT to recruit there very hard because the results speak for themselves.

I agree with Deep though if there is an old SU guy coaching there they should at least be working those angles.. but I think the damage in NJ has been done at this point. Coaches in NJ like to think there football is Florida like as well.

I personally don't care where they recruit, I really don't but you aren't going to out recruit Penn ST, ND, Ohio ST, etc anywhere including NJ.

Wheatley can only do so much recruiting wise...

I don't understand how some posters continually rag on others that have an obvious knowledge of the topics they post on. The call them out and when it gets turned back on them, they are the ones that get offended. Nice.

Keep posting Deep, I am sure most of us appreciate the info and find it worthy of reading. I know I do.

Kinda like this among the recruitniks....

a698125-228-pissing%20contest.gif

I would pray this isn't the reason

The problem with NJ and the surrounding Tri-State are the HS coaches are mostly "prima donnas"

Very high maintenance and it is so relationship intensive...but it can also be very rewarding.
Cuse Staff is not built correctly to fully realize NJ's recruits. We have NYC and LI covered well though.

The problem with NJ and the surrounding Tri-State are the HS coaches are mostly "prima donnas"

Very high maintenance and it is so relationship intensive...but it can also be highly rewarded.
Cuse Staff is not built correctly to fully realized NJ's recruits. We have NYC and LI covered well though.
I have heard rumblings on this board about SU/NJ that things were not well but I was hoping things were starting to improve. I am not in love with NJ football like a lot of people seem to be personally I will take VA all day over them but I do realize they have some special players. I guess all in all I just hate hearing we aren't in with a state that has solid recruits. I know we can't please everyone but I was hoping the states we didn't do well in would be one's that didn't matter like WV dear lord that state is awful to watch a high school game

The thing about this story no one is talking about -- and I'm sure it's been discussed elsewhere -- but how is Ped State landing anyone? I know they're still a strong program, etc., but that would be the only school I would tell my kid, "You know what, let's look elsewhere." Seriously, it's a cover-up of a child rapist we're talking about. I find this insane.

While I resect DeepThrowIt's comments and insight, the comments reflect the attitude of NJ HS Football in general. It is still very much an old boys network driven by insiders and ego. I coached had the opportunity to coach with a NJ HS coacing legend years ago and he had a lot of funny stories to tell about coaches, athletic training schools, etc.

I'm not so sure this staff has the desire (right or wrong), or resources to go full speed ahead in NJ right now. They are going to continue to hit the rust belt hard and continue to sprinkle in kids from the newly opened ACC states like GA, FL. There is also more focus on VA and MD now than earlier in Marrone's tenure.

While I resect DeepThrowIt's comments and insight, the comments reflect the attitude of NJ HS Football in general. It is still very much an old boys network driven by insiders and ego. I coached had the opportunity to coach with a NJ HS coacing legend years ago and he had a lot of funny stories to tell about coaches, athletic training schools, etc.

I'm not so sure this staff has the desire (right or wrong), or resources to go full speed ahead in NJ right now. They are going to continue to hit the rust belt hard and continue to sprinkle in kids from the newly opened ACC states like GA, FL. There is also more focus on VA and MD now than earlier in Marrone's tenure.

This is a good take. I tend to agree that you have to pick your battles and it makes sense that certain areas of the country might be fruitless to spend much time in. I also think this approach would make sense given the fact that Marrone doesn't seem terribly inclined to dance for pain in the a$$ high school coaches (pure conjecture on my part -- just deductive reasoning).

The counter-point I would make, however, is just that abandoning Jersey, for all intents and purposes, seems strange based on it's location and the density of it's population. Basically 9M in 7,800 square miles of land -- which makes for a lot of competition and a lot of talent in a small area. So, even if it breaks down to generally picking up second-tier kids, it would seem to make sense that keeping a halfway decent presence in NJ should be something of a priority.

Very high maintenance and it is so relationship intensive...but it can also be very rewarding.
Cuse Staff is not built correctly to fully realize NJ's recruits. We have NYC and LI covered well though.

Very true, Mark. However, you will find these prima donnas everywhere, especially as you start moving south.

I also agree with how the staff is built. It just my opinion, but I wish it was set up to be more of a factor in NJ than NYC and LI. NYC and LI rarely produce the kind of talent NJ does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom