GT - 1913
UNC - 1927
Virginia - 1931
Miami - 1987
Pitt - 2001
BC -1957
Wake - 1968
Duke 1929

The Dome(1980) is the 4th newest stadium in the ACC!! And it's the 2nd newest college stadium in the league as Pitt and Miami are NFL stadiums.

Who decided it's "aging"?

I suspect that almost all of those older stadiums have had *major* renovations since 1980 though.

I know from experience that Alumni Stadium at BC bears zero resemblance to its original construction. It might as well be listed as having been built in 2000.

The Dome may not need replacing, but it could use a serious facelift.

OrangeDW said:
Clemson - 1942 FSU - 1950 Virginia Tech -1965 L'ville - 1998 NC State - 1966 GT - 1913 UNC - 1927 Virginia - 1931 Miami - 1987 Pitt - 2001 BC -1957 Wake - 1968 Duke 1929 The Dome(1980) is the 4th newest stadium in the ACC!! And it's the 2nd newest college stadium in the league as Pitt and Miami are NFL stadiums. Who decided it's "aging"?

The roof.

I'm curious to know what they pegged the product lifecycle of the roof at when they pitched the idea of teflon inflatable roof. Can these be produced by any manufacturer? Is there only one? And now since the dome is the only one left they dont want to be in the roof biz anymore? Shouldnt SU have been making these contigincie plans in 1999 when they last replaced it.

I'm curious to know what they pegged the product lifecycle of the roof at when they pitched the idea of teflon inflatable roof. Can these be produced by any manufacturer? Is there only one? And now since the dome is the only one left they dont want to be in the roof biz anymore? Shouldnt SU have been making these contigincie plans in 1999 when they last replaced it.

Birdair is the company that made the roofs for all the inflatable domes ... and they are still in the roof panel business.

http://www.birdair.com/

If SU wants to order new Teflon panels I don't believe that it would be a problem.

im in for Season Tickets for hoop at the Garden.

where do i sign???!!!!

epic......

Looks like all the anti-newstadium crowd will get their wish: No SU home games for up to 2 years , or maybe that wasn't what they really wanted.

Was anyone able to go to this and would you be willing to give a report? I Had a schedule conflict.

Clemson - 1942
FSU - 1950
Virginia Tech -1965
L'ville - 1998
NC State - 1966
GT - 1913
UNC - 1927
Virginia - 1931
Miami - 1987
Pitt - 2001
BC -1957
Wake - 1968
Duke 1929

The Dome(1980) is the 4th newest stadium in the ACC!! And it's the 2nd newest college stadium in the league as Pitt and Miami are NFL stadiums.

Who decided it's "aging"?

That certainly doesn't tell the whole story.

"And while the group discussed the possible alternate venues, like the Ralph Wilson Stadium for a football game, or Madison Square Garden for basketball, they say getting a concrete backup plan ahead of time is impossible."

This seems quite dramatic but the fact this is even discussed means they need to figure something out yesterday.

I guess I don't understand.

As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with the Dome - nothing.

It's the best football venue I have ever experienced - and I have been to many.

There is nothing better than a night SU Football game in the Dome - with a full house or close to a full house.

Best sight lines in football - not a bad location in the house. In the middle of campus.

I'm really tired of all the eulogies we seem to be hearing for the Carrier Dome.

That certainly doesn't tell the whole story.

No, I'm aware that all the really old ones have added new seating, and renovated, and that that would be very difficult(and really not necessary anyway) at the Dome due to the structure.

I like the Dome the way it is, none of the "improvements" people want really do anything for me. I want a good seat(check) where I can drink a cold beer(check) and watch and see the game(check) and an exciting atmosphere with a loud crowd(sometimes a check).

There is nothing better than a night SU Football game in the Dome - with a full house or close to a full house.

Best sight lines in football - not a bad location in the house. In the middle of campus.

I'm really tired of all the eulogies we seem to be hearing for the Carrier Dome.

The push from some to be able to sit in a big ugly parking lot for hours, is baffling to me. Stadiums in the middle of nowhere, with big parking lots around them suck. Go to Marshall St. and pregame, then get your butt in the Dome and get your beers and be there for when the team comes out and WATCH THE GAME.

Can't stand the fans who want to hang out in the parking lot until right before gametime and then show up right as the game starts, and then get up to get beer and pee 17 times. Go to Buffalo for that crap.

The push from some to be able to sit in a big ugly parking lot for hours, is baffling to me. Stadiums in the middle of nowhere, with big parking lots around them suck. Go to Marshall St. and pregame, then get your butt in the Dome and get your beers and be there for when the team comes out and WATCH THE GAME.

Can't stand the fans who want to hang out in the parking lot until right before gametime and then show up right as the game starts, and then get up to get beer and pee 17 times. Go to Buffalo for that crap.
and people who want to tailgate, can! best of both worlds. there are enough lots around for everyone to do whatever it is they want to do

There is certainly one thing wrong. The air-supported fabric roof is vulnerable to rips. That's why it is the only one of its kind remaining. A rip at the wrong time will result in a bit of chaos and revenue lost for the university and CNY businesses while waiting for it to be fixed. I agree with it being a good place to watch a game. I love the dome too but the roof is an accident waiting to happen especially in the winter during basketball season.

There is certainly one thing wrong. The air-supported fabric roof is vulnerable to rips. That's why it is the only one of its kind remaining. A rip at the wrong time will result in a bit of chaos and revenue lost for the university and CNY businesses while waiting for it to be fixed. I agree with it being a good place to watch a game. I love the dome too but the roof is an accident waiting to happen especially in the winter during basketball season.

Yes, I guess anything is possible.

But, in 34 years the roof has worked well.

There is certainly one thing wrong. The air-supported fabric roof is vulnerable to rips. That's why it is the only one of its kind remaining.

Not entirely true. The Carrier Dome is the only one of the four that wasn't built for the NFL.

NFL teams routinely demand new stadiums every 30 years or so. It's not surprising that the Colts, Vikings, and Lions wanted new stadiums anymore than the Eagles, Steelers, Bengals, Cowboys, Broncos, Giants and Jets all "needed" new facilities at the same time (the 30 year mark). Of the 31 stadiums currently in use by NFL teams today ... 25 were built in 1987 or later.

The Lions moved from Pontiac back to Detroit in 2002. The Colts broke ground Lucas Oil Stadium back in 2005. Long before the Metrodome had a roof issue in 2010.

On the other hand, colleges keep their football stadiums forever. If a half dozen domes were built on college campuses during the 70's-80's, there's really no way to know how many of them would still be in use today.

Not entirely true. The Carrier Dome is the only one of the four that wasn't built for the NFL.

NFL teams routinely demand new stadiums every 30 years or so. It's not surprising that the Colts, Vikings, and Lions wanted new stadiums anymore than the Eagles, Steelers, Bengals, Cowboys, Broncos, Giants and Jets all "needed" new facilities at the same time (the 30 year mark). Of the 31 stadiums currently in use by NFL teams today ... 25 were built in 1987 or later.

The Lions moved from Pontiac back to Detroit in 2002. The Colts broke ground Lucas Oil Stadium back in 2005. Long before the Metrodome had a roof issue in 2010.

On the other hand, colleges keep their football stadiums forever. If a half dozen domes were built on college campuses during the 70's-80's, there's really no way to know how many of them would still be in use today.
True, but the pattern of catastrophic failure with air supported Domes is surely the reason none have been built since what, the RCA Dome in 1984? Air supported domes are far cheaper to build than fixed roof facilities, but, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for...

True, but the pattern of catastrophic failure with air supported Domes is surely the reason none have been built since what, the RCA Dome in 1984? Air supported domes are far cheaper to build than fixed roof facilities, but, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for...
money is no object to most NFL domes so lets not pretend like they must be passing on cheaper air supported domes because of safety.

your post is surely inaccurate and misleading.

domes are rare to begin with and the ones that are built tend to be retractable

and no one is saying that if we were building the dome from scratch that we'd choose air supported

do people burn their houses down if they're stuck with something they would change if they could do it all over again?

Tastes and technology change.

Cookie cutter multi-purpose stadiums were all the rage in the 60's and 70's (Shea, The Vet, Three Rivers, Riverfront, Busch). 30 years later, every MLB team wanted "friendlier confines", so more intimate stadiums were build (Citi, CBP, PNC, Great American, Busch II).

In the NFL. the only stadiums built in the 80's-90's were either outdoor (Sun Life, BoA, FedEx, M&T, RayJames, First Energy, LP, PBS, Mile High), or fixed roof domes (Georgia, Ed Jones).

I'm not sure the technology needed for the Georgia Dome (opened 1992) or the Edward Jones Dome (1995) was readily available in 1979 when the Carrier Dome was built. At least not for $27 mil.

In the 21st Century, even fixed roof domes have been supplanted by retractable roof facilities (Reliant, UofP, Lucas, ATT).

Who knows what the rage will be in the next 15-30 years?

Last edited:
money is no object to most NFL domes so lets not pretend like they must be passing on cheaper air supported domes because of safety.

your post is surely inaccurate and misleading.
not misleading. here's the key point: there is a pattern failure with air supported Domes

This creates significant risk.

Yes, I guess anything is possible.

But, in 34 years the roof has worked well.

Possible?

while others have had rips

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/12/manager_of_syracuses_carrier_d.html

“It’s our worst nightmare,” Sala said of the Metrodome’s collapse under 2 feet of snow early Sunday morning. “Those guys are going through hell right now.”

Sala said what happened in Minnesota could just as easily happen in Syracuse. “I’ve been telling everybody at the university,” said Sala, “you’re as vulnerable as the next big snowstorm.”

A major snowstorm walloped the Central New York region just last week, dumping roughly 4 feet of snow on Syracuse over the course of four days. “I didn’t sleep from Sunday night to Thursday,” Sala said. “You get so stressed out, it’s just incredible. It’s a nightmare.”

In Minneapolis, workers were on the Metrodome’s roof for seven straight hours on Saturday. But on Saturday evening, high winds forced workers to come down off the roof around 6 p.m. The roof collapsed around 5 a.m. on Sunday.

“They did everything they should have done,” Sala said of the Metrodome officials.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom