guards' 2pt % | Syracusefan.com

guards' 2pt %

Millhouse

Living Legend
girard was .385 last year .324 this year inside the 3 pt line
it's cooney-esque who was 34% from *two* his senior year
Gerry was .385 and .375 his last two years and i can't believe that's ancient history

there is something broken about the offense some years - why are they even taking these shots?

it's obviously not alwyas this way - triche, waiters, jardine,

girard was .385 last year .324 this year inside the 3 pt line
it's cooney-esque who was 34% from *two* his senior year
Gerry was .385 and .375 his last two years and i can't believe that's ancient history

there is something broken about the offense some years - why are they even taking these shots?

it's obviously not alwyas this way - triche, waiters, jardine,
this is the biggest reason I hate the slow down offense at the end of games...milking the clock to protect leads can work with a great point guard and veteran team that is "gelled" and performing optimally.

However, nowadays, and with a PG like Gerard A SG like buddy ...players who struggle to create their won shots...

giving the team 5 seconds to magically create something often leads to horrible shots and a dearth of scoring.

yeah you milk the clock but it seems that opposing teams have won the last 5-10 minutes a lot this season.

Only part of the reason JG3 has a bad shooting %...but it is a part of it for sure.

Too early to tell if Joe’s percentage will stay that low. As for why they take the shots, they’re usually open (probably not unintentionally so). When you get into the teeth of the defense, you either pass or shoot. If you can’t pass, you shoot.

more than half of girard's game have been below .333 from inside the 3 pt line, both for his career and this year alone.

i can't look up how uncommon that is like i used to - stathead is pretty darn expensive, if you ask me

more than half of girard's game have been below .333 from inside the 3 pt line, both for his career and this year alone.

i can't look up how uncommon that is like i used to - stathead is pretty darn expensive, if you ask me
Really a bummer that's not free anymore of bballreference... really great data in there.

Would love to know Girard’s shooting percentage from catch and shoot versus off the dribble.

He’s just not a PG at all who can create and distribute versus start an offense. He’s be a killer 6th man off ball.

It’s notable that we’re talking about a bad percentage on very low volume. GMac was 42%. Joe is 37%. That difference is a whopping 0.4ppg. Not much significance.

Assuming Joe finishes the year at like 34% (not an unfair assumption), we’re still only talking about half a point per game.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s notable that we’re talking about a bad percentage on very low volume. GMac was 42%. Joe is 37%. That difference is a whopping 0.4ppg. Not much significance.

Assuming Joe finishes the year at like 34% (not an unfair assumption), we’re still only talking about half a point per game.
Yeah, I'm sure boeheim intuitively gets it - he always does. He would've been a great ceo. But it does show a big weakness in the offense.

Last edited:
Would love to know Girard’s shooting percentage from catch and shoot versus off the dribble.

He’s just not a PG at all who can create and distribute versus start an offense. He’s be a killer 6th man off ball.
Girard and boeheim are just not compliments at all. What can you do, would've been hard to say no to Girard.

Girard and boeheim are just not compliments at all. What can you do, would've been hard to say no to Girard.
When we had Dion Waters, Brandon Triche, and Scoop Jardine.
The coach would start Triche-Jardine
Bring Waiters in to play with Jardine.
Sub Jardine for Triche.
Finish the game half/game with whoever played the best. Typically Waiters and one of the other 2.
They all averaged 23-28 MPG nobody played a lot more than the other.

Now we have Buddy-Girard start.
Typically they play the first 10-12 minutes. Then Richmond gets minutes for Joe, then Joe will come in for Buddy.
Each will sit 3-4 minutes and then Buddy-Girard finish the half/game.

Instead of the minutes being
BB-37
JG-26
KR- 17

The minutes should be
BB-30
JG- 25
KR-25

Let KR-BB and KR-JG play together more. So BB-JG don’t play as much together.

Sub Jardine for Triche.
Finish the game half/game with whoever played the best. Typically Waiters and one of the other 2.

Typically they play the first 10-12 minutes. Then Richmond gets minutes for Joe, then Joe will come in for Buddy.

BB-37
JG-26
KR- 17

The minutes should be
BB-30
JG- 25
KR-25

Personally I would go:

Buddy 35 (not because I believe this is best, but because you know how Boeheim do)
Kadary 30
Joey G 15

Yeah, I'm sure boeheim intuitively gets it - he always does. He would've been a great ceo. But it does show a big weeks in the offense.

It’s a weakness but player specific. I don’t think it’s a design flaw in the offense or anything along those lines. Guys who had good 2pt shooting percentages were bigger and/or more athletic. Well, Scoop is probably less athletic than Joe, but a better ball handler, at least in transition. They weren’t necessarily operating in more functional offenses by way of scheme. Their offenses were better because the talent was better. On this roster, Kadary is the only alternative, which just flips the weakness to a different spot (3pt shooting).

Sub Jardine for Triche.

BB-37
JG-26
KR- 17

The minutes should be
BB-30
JG- 25
KR-25

As a freshman, Dion played 16. Triche played 29 and Scoop played 32.

I know Triche and Scoop were better than Buddy and Joe. At that point in their careers, not a tonnn better, but better. Anyway, Kadary is on pace - based on games with Joe and Buddy in the lineup - to play as many or more minutes per game than Dion did as a freshman.

35-Buddy
25-Joe
20-Kadary

is how I’d do it

It’s a weakness but player specific. I don’t think it’s a design flaw in the offense or anything along those lines. Guys who had good 2pt shooting percentages were bigger and/or more athletic. Well, Scoop is probably less athletic than Joe, but a better ball handler, at least in transition. They weren’t necessarily operating in more functional offenses by way of scheme. Their offenses were better because the talent was better. On this roster, Kadary is the only alternative, which just flips the weakness to a different spot (3pt shooting).
We have enough shooters to at least give it a try

Personally I would go:

Buddy 35 (not because I believe this is best, but because you know how Boeheim do)
Kadary 30
Joey G 15
Its really sad we have to say but because you know how JB do but you are correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom