Guards for 2012-13 | Syracusefan.com

Guards for 2012-13

stumpy78

Walk On
I might be missing something, but assuming that Fab and Dion move on, will we not only have 3 scholarship guards on next years team (TC, MCW, BT)? I understand you can never have too many good bigs, but is there an urgent need for a fourth guard. Is Grant the fourth if injury hits one of the three? I don't see anyone else on our roster next year that can slide into the "2" slot.

Southerland or Fair as the emergency 4th guard?

Not a good solution...but am not worried..Grant is a point forward...and the three we got...are very good

We must have at least 150 posts on this topic in the last two months. Three guys who can start for almost any D1 program is far more than 95% of the programs can even dream of having. You saw the rare exception in a JB rotation with 4 guards this year.

We must have at least 150 posts on this topic in the last two months. Three guys who can start for almost any D1 program is far more than 95% of the programs can even dream of having. You saw the rare exception in a JB rotation with 4 guards this year.

Its all about depth, yea the quality is great dont get me wrong but one injury and were in big trouble

i dont think that is what a majority of the people are concerned with. I think what scares most its what happens if one of those three gets hurt? Then it becomes an issue.

Not a good solution...but am not worried..Grant is a point forward...and the three we got...are very good
I know you said it's not a good option but how do you figure that he is a point forward? When have you seen him run the point forward position? I know it wasn't at Dematha or on team takeover. James Robinson has the ball in his hands 90 percent of the time on those squads. Good player but not sure how he is considered a point forward

just wait for the threads next year, "why isn't cooney getting more than 11 mpg?"

just wait for the threads next year, "why isn't cooney getting more than 11 mpg?"
This. We have 4 guards now and 2 are getting the majority of the minutes. In fact, you could say we have 3 guards..

I was just about to create a post mentioning my concerns about our lack of gaurd depth next yr. I feel Cooney will be a starter next yr and will have an immediate impact on the team. The kid is going to be great. MCW will be out 6th man off the bench.

I was just about to create a post mentioning my concerns about our lack of gaurd depth next yr. I feel Cooney will be a starter next yr and will have an immediate impact on the team. The kid is going to be great. MCW will be out 6th man off the bench.
not happening

If MCW is not starting here next year it'll be because he transferred.

When I think of point forward I think of Lebron in the NBA and remember that guy from that one school in Kentucky 3 years ago Terrence Williams... Grant is a prototypical Beoheim forward. I see more Hakim Warrick than Carmelo Anthony in his game.

Yeah lets play 2 SGs together and bench our highest rated PG recruit ever.

Ummm, yea cooney is a SG but you mind telling me who the 2nd SG is that would be starting? LOL if you think triche is a pure SG.

Yeah lets play 2 SGs together and bench our highest rated PG recruit ever.

triche is a pg and will play pg next year.

No question that if we have an injury to Triche, MCW or Cooney we would be in trouble, but you can't have an A+ option for every contingency. If that were to occur the two uninjured guards would be force fed more traditional JB-starter minutes and Mookie would have to fill in at the off guard. If it were MCW or Triche that were injured we would have an exceptionally difficult time against good pressing teams and defenses that like to get in your shorts.

If Mookie isn't here next year, than the risk becomes greater, but I still not sure you bring someone else in...who, exactly would you bring in? Maybe go out and get a David Patrick, Sam Spann quality guard....I might prefer to take my chances with the more talented forward trying to fill in and let the chips fall where they may.