Guards Posting Low.. | Syracusefan.com

Guards Posting Low..

sdorange

Walk On
With the hand-wringing with our guard situation why not turn the tables and post Battle low against the smaller guards, this includes UCONN and moving forward with a healthy Frank, or even EH at the 2..

I'm sure I saw Battle post his man on Saturday, can't remember if he scored or was fouled ( entry from Hughes I believe) I know JB runs the high ISO, but, just makes sense that if tall guards are an advantage in the 2-3, posting low would create mismatches, higher fg % , foul trouble, and would entice a double team for a kickout 3 or a player slashing to the hole.

With the hand-wringing with our guard situation why not turn the tables and post Battle low against the smaller guards, this includes UCONN and moving forward with a healthy Frank, or even EH at the 2..

I'm sure I saw Battle post his man on Saturday, can't remember if he scored or was fouled ( entry from Hughes I believe) I know JB runs the high ISO, but, just makes sense that if tall guards are an advantage in the 2-3, posting low would create mismatches, higher fg % , foul trouble, and would entice a double team for a kickout 3 or a player slashing to the hole.
Great idea that I hope we see

He definitely did that once against Morehead. Great play and idea. Hope to utilize this as well Thursday. Might help combat and neutralize some ballhandling woes/discombobulation at times I expect to see Thurs.

Last edited:
Can post Battle if Hughes & Buddy, or Hughes & Carey, can handle the ball on the perimeter when closely guarded and make the entry pass. And have to get Chukwu to move away and have his defender follow. So, not as easy as it might appear.

You get the same size advantage against UConn's three guard lineup by having Hughes or Battle drive or pull-up against smallish defenders.

Driving to the rim frequently will be a huge asset too as with really just one guy to protect the rim, the weak side is open for put backs all night. Morehead attacked the offensive glass and weakside vs UConn a lot and that did wonders for them. We should be able to do the same to them inside.

I would expect Carey, being the gritty NYC guard and basketball junkie he is to take advantage of the on the ball pressure as well going straight to the rim. We really shouldn't need to be shooting many threes in this one unless invited to do so.

Driving to the rim frequently will be a huge asset too as with really just one guy to protect the rim, the weak side is open for put backs all night. Morehead attacked the offensive glass and weakside vs UConn a lot and that did wonders for them. We should be able to do the same to them inside.

I would expect Carey, being the gritty NYC guard and basketball junkie he is to take advantage of the on the ball pressure as well going straight to the rim. We really shouldn't need to be shooting many threes in this one unless invited to do so.

Hopefully so. We gotta stay aggressive. Also, gotta make the extra pass. Too often we see guys just barreling into the extra help defender with reckless abandon.

Tom Crean is still having nightmares about MCW posting up his midget guards...

...along with wondering how to score against a Syracuse 2-3 zone. ;)
34263_h.png

Can post Battle if Hughes & Buddy, or Hughes & Carey, can handle the ball on the perimeter when closely guarded and make the entry pass. And have to get Chukwu to move away and have his defender follow. So, not as easy as it might appear.

You get the same size advantage against UConn's three guard lineup by having Hughes or Battle drive or pull-up against smallish defenders.

Posting up Battle is different than driving or pulling up, it also provides Battle a read/react opportunity to get others involved, which frankly has not been his strong-suit from the perimeter. As an aside, I'm thinking part of his decision to return was to showcase an ability to make others better, which in this case is a win-win for he and Syracuse. As to Chukwu clearing out, Brissett has been very successful at posting when inclined to do so

Posting up Battle is different than driving or pulling up, it also provides Battle a read/react opportunity to get others involved, which frankly has not been his strong-suit from the perimeter. As an aside, I'm thinking part of his decision to return was to showcase an ability to make others better, which in this case is a win-win for he and Syracuse. As to Chukwu clearing out, Brissett has been very successful at posting when inclined to do so

Sure it is different, but it is more likely that Battle (and Hughes) will use their size advantage by driving against UConn's smaller guards. Battle does need to improve his playmaking -- but I expect the NBA is looking for him to do that from his guard role, not in posting up.

Will we see. Expecting a very competitive game or two in MSG -- chance to see what our guys can do.

Seems like we've had tall guards forever that could post their man in many games. It almost never happens. Guess it's not on JB's radar.
It takes us out of our base offense and unless a forward rotates over, leaves us exposed for fast breaks. Most guards aren't great at it either.

That said, Billy Edelin was awesome at it and abused Chris Thomas of Notre Dame repeatedly in several games. It was awesome to watch.

There are definitely challenges involved. But guards posting up is definitely becoming a super important part of lots of NBA offenses. You see the best offenses doing it a lot, especially Golden State with Livingston and Thompson. The way that they get around the challenges is to run action away from the play to distract. If the Golden State's center is setting an off ball pick for Steph Curry on one side of the floor, there's not much attention that his defender can spare for the post-up that Livingston is setting up on the other side. And the post up is less about scoring in the post now as it is about opening up possibilities for cutters and shooters.

Sure it is different, but it is more likely that Battle (and Hughes) will use their size advantage by driving against UConn's smaller guards. Battle does need to improve his playmaking -- but I expect the NBA is looking for him to do that from his guard role, not in posting up.

Will we see. Expecting a very competitive game or two in MSG -- chance to see what our guys can do.[/QUOTE/]

I expect there to be some struggles with Tyus and Hughes getting by their guys. Adams and Vital are shorter sure but they are quick and put together. The posting up might need to be utilized more than usual which is fine. This game worries me.

I don't share that concern about Hughes. He is a comfortable enough handler to make teams pay for overplaying him defensively by pushing it in the open court and finishing / creating for others. I agree that these things aren't the strengths of Tyus's game.