Gymnastics | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gymnastics

SUFaninNJ said:
Laurie Hernandez is from my town here in Jersey. I'll probably watch a bit of it because of her.

She is great. A real contender for an all around medal, if she can hold off Gabby Douglas.

Has anyone started paying attention to gymnastics leading up to the Olympics yet?

dudes who watch gymnastics drive white windowless vans

lucky-threadz-green-tee-shirt.png

dudes who watch gymnastics drive white windowless vans

lucky-threadz-green-tee-shirt.png
I know you're joking, but if you don't watch Olympic gymnastics, you should. Our women's team is dominant and Simone Biles is going to be one of the huge stars going in to the Olympics and she will be even bigger after she wins the All Around Gold, Team Gold, and possibly three event golds.

Thanks Jordoo. These girls work incredibly hard.

Yes they have to to reach any sort of competitive level. My friends younger sister was a pretty good gymnast but she got chesty very early and ended up transitioning to dance. Unbelievable amount of time spent in the gym practicing. She was a little muscle ball and could do some body strength things that were crazy.

Yes they have to to reach any sort of competitive level. My friends younger sister was a pretty good gymnast but she got chesty very early and ended up transitioning to dance. Unbelievable amount of time spent in the gym practicing. She was a little muscle ball and could do some body strength things that were crazy.
Yeah, there are tons of girls that end up stopping gymnastics for one reason or another, but often they move on to other sports and excel, because of the strength and flexibility as well as the work ethic they learn in gymnastics. Many end up divers and do very well. I know one girl that is training to become a luger.

I actually love watching it. My daughter did gymnastics for a couple years. She didn't even try Hard and had a six pack at 7.

SUFaninNJ said:
Laurie Hernandez is from my town here in Jersey. I'll probably watch a bit of it because of her.

Your girl, Laurie Hernandez, is getting a bit of a raw deal in qualifying.

SUFaninNJ said:

Your girl, Laurie Hernandez, is getting a bit of a raw deal in qualifying.

Wow, America dominated like no team ever before. Top score in every single event, Simone Biles on floor, beam and vault and Madison Kocean on bars. The US could sweep the golds in women's gymnastics and have multiple medal winners in the all around and a couple individual events. The three US women competing in all four events in qualifying finished 1-2-3, that is just nuts. Too bad only two get to compete for the all around.

orangefog said:
Wow, America dominated like no team ever before. Top score in every single event, Simone Biles on floor, beam and vault and Madison Kocean on bars. The US could sweep the golds in women's gymnastics and have multiple medal winners in the all around and a couple individual events. The three US women competing in all four events in qualifying finished 1-2-3, that is just nuts. Too bad only two get to compete for the all around.

Looks like it won't even be close. Love it

Looks like it won't even be close. Love it
The US has lapped the competition, it is unreal. We are a machine. Nastia Liuken has said that we could send two teams of 5 and they would win gold and silver. If Lauren Hernandez did all four events, she would have been in the top four with the other three Americans. It is really impressive.

orangefog said:
The US has lapped the competition, it is unreal. We are a machine. Nastia Liuken has said that we could send two teams of 5 and they would win gold and silver. If Lauren Hernandez did all four events, she would have been in the top four with the other three Americans. It is really impressive.

And one Romanian. Did a piece last night on them. Hard to believe they didn't even field a team a while back. So dominant once.

And one Romanian. Did a piece last night on them. Hard to believe they didn't even field a team a while back. So dominant once.
Yeah, it's crazy Romania has fallen so far. Besides all the Americans, I am rooting for Oksana Chusovitina in the vault final. This is her 7th Olympics, she is 41. Somebody better make a movie about her life or at least a 30 for 30.

I know most don't care about gymnastics, but those that do, don't forget to tune in tonight. I won't spoil it, but it will be entertaining.

OrangeXtreme said:
Its a shame that Gus Johnson doesn't broadcast gymnastics.

He would be way better than Al Trautwig.

So the overall points difference between Biles and second place in the all around competition is greater than the points difference between first and second place for the years 1980-2012 COMBINED.

So the overall points difference between Biles and second place in the all around competition is greater than the points difference between first and second place for the years 1980-2012 COMBINED.
She has dominated the sport since shortly after the end of the London Olympics in 2012. And then Aly Raisman beat Mustafina by 1.4. These numbers are astronomical in this sport. If it were allowed, Gabby Douglas and/or Laurie Hernandez would have won the bronze or maybe even displaced Aly for the silver. The event finals will be fun to watch. Simone, if she can remain focused, could win three more gold medals. And each of our other four young women are also going for event medals.

SPOILER ALERT:

After a bit of a hiccup on the balance beam. Simone Biles put up an astronomical score on the floor exercise. Nobody could match it, the closest was Aly Raisman. We went Gold/Silver to finish off meet for the American women. They finished with the gold for team, gold and silver for individual all-around, Gold on Vault, Silver on Uneven Bars, Silver and Bronze on Balance Beam and Gold and Silver on Floor Exercise. Not a bad tally.

Last edited:
orangefog said:
After a bit of a hiccup on the balance beam. Simone Biles put up an astronomical score on the floor exercise. Nobody could match it, the closest was Aly Raisman. We went Gold/Silver to finish off meet for the American women. They finished with the gold for team, gold and silver for individual all-around, Gold on Vault, Silver on Uneven Bars, Silver and Bronze on Balance Beam and Gold and Silver on Floor Exercise. Not a bad tally.

Hey how bout a spoiler alert warning?

Thanks for blowing my entertainment for the evening.

Hey how bout a spoiler alert warning?

Thanks for blowing my entertainment for the evening.
OMG, I am sorry. I added a "SPOILER ALERT" heading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom