H0T Takes | Syracusefan.com

H0T Takes

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
I was very fortunate to be able to watch the game from the uber seats (thank you) and when you are 5 feet from the court, things are sometimes much different both in sound and sight. I even caught a ball that went out of bounds and was promptly reprimanded (jokingly) by the ref as I gave him a bounce pass and he said I passed it a bit behind him and needed to lead him a bit. lol.

- we pushed the ball 85%-90%+ of the time, both halves.

- in the half court, we called and ran a play pretty much 100% of the time. I remember the names of about 5 of them.

- even though he missed a couple easy inside baskets, chewy had a very nice game.

- frank is another coach on the court. even on the sidelines in discussions with jb and assts.

- these guys bust their butts on defense and hustled all over.

- they all root very hard for each other and encourage each other.

Nice to hear a new perspective. I still have an issue with the offense. I'm not sure if its execution or lack of a good play set but something is off to me.

I will say the play I saw I like was in the first half (only saw the first half). Buddy had the ball drove to the right dished to Hughes who pumped faked and got his guy in the air then made the extra pass back to buddy wide open 3. He missed but that is how I imagine we play 80 percent of offense.

I have thought also that JB doesn't allow younger players to work through mistakes when we have depth. I don't know if that is always the best coaching technique. Kids sometimes start thinking too much.

I was very fortunate to be able to watch the game from the uber seats (thank you) and when you are 5 feet from the court, things are sometimes much different both in sound and sight. I even caught a ball that went out of bounds and was promptly reprimanded (jokingly) by the ref as I gave him a bounce pass and he said I passed it a bit behind him and needed to lead him a bit. lol.

- in the half court, we called and ran a play pretty much 100% of the time. I remember the names of about 5 of them.

- even though he missed a couple easy inside baskets, chewy had a very nice game.

- frank is another coach on the court. even on the sidelines in discussions with jb and assts.

How do I know this isn't fake news?

We looked a lot better tonight. Much more aggressive going to the basket. There was a backdoor cut fed by a bouce pass I can't remember seeing in quite a while and most of our 3's came off of passes after the ball first went inside. We'll see how that translates going forward.

Bees, you braggart! Well done! It is so amazing how what you take in is influenced by where you are sitting. I liked that you were able to hear Frank talking, we called plays, and that they were all encouraging each other. That is not always something you can tell even from the tv production, let alone 3rd tier. So, for example, up in 309 I could have sworn in the second half that Battle was mad at himself, that he had angry body language. But maybe he was just fired up?

One thing I was pleased to see was that when Buddy finally hit a three, Boeheim slapped his hands together hard and almost gave a fist pump. He wants his son to do well, and frankly, we need him to do well.

Thank you for taking the time to post, even though you are clearly in the middle of some kind of Christmas orgy.

As i said to JB on his show, it's hard to criticize the system when it's being so badly executed that you don't even know what it's supposed to look like. We got a peak at it today.

I've never sat in the seats Bees did but I have sat near the court for some NCAA, (in the old days) and NIT games instead of my normal third-level seat and what has always impressed me was the degree of physical effort needed to play the game. And baseball player complain about running on artificial turf.

As i said to JB on his show, it's hard to criticize the system when it's being so badly executed that you don't even know what it's supposed to look like. We got a peak at it today.

I've never sat in the seats Bees did but I have sat near the court for some NCAA, (in the old days) and NIT games instead of my normal third-level seat and what has always impressed me was the degree of physical effort needed to play the game. And baseball player complain about running on artificial turf.
Baseball players play every day for six months straight (and some for seven). Not comparable.

Baseball players play every day for six months straight (and some for seven). Not comparable.

Neither is the surface. Baseball players play for 20 years. Basketball players play 10-12 years.

Nice to see 82 points. The way Syracuse has played over the last number of years I cannot help but to draw parallels with those John Chaney Temple teams of the 80's and 90's. They won games, but Temple basketball was synonamous with the 2-3 matchup zone they played and seemed to be the only defining element of the program. I would be hard pressed to think of the name of even one player they had. I never saw Temple as an elite program, they were a bit of a novelty to me with a gimmicky defense that kept them in games against better competition. They would turn games into low scoring slogs that were ugly to watch. Yes Syracuse is also known for the 2-3 zone but historically has had elite talent that could also outscore an opponent if needed. I'd rather not have to rely on an opponent's inability to execute against the zone to win games, it would be nice to get back to a balanced approach that can adapt to win games in multiple ways.

Nice to see 82 points. The way Syracuse has played over the last number of years I cannot help but to draw parallels with those John Chaney Temple teams of the 80's and 90's. They won games, but Temple basketball was synonamous with the 2-3 matchup zone they played and seemed to be the only defining element of the program. I would be hard pressed to think of the name of even one player they had. I never saw Temple as an elite program, they were a bit of a novelty to me with a gimmicky defense that kept them in games against better competition. They would turn games into low scoring slogs that were ugly to watch. Yes Syracuse is also known for the 2-3 zone but historically has had elite talent that could also outscore an opponent if needed. I'd rather not have to rely on an opponent's inability to execute against the zone to win games, it would be nice to get back to a balanced approach that can adapt to win games in multiple ways.
Quick name for temple...Mark Macon

I missed about the first 8 minutes of the game cus YES (damn yankees!) Insisted on showing the end of the Georgetown () game which went into OT (double ). Frowned seeing SU down like 9. Took a few minutes to see SU was busting butt to get back in it. It wasn't until the 2nd half that I noticed the high post sets with Brissett. Just what I was thinking since the UB game. Perfect offense for him. Even have Hughes or MD there. Also actually tried to get Chewie and all the centers actively involved. If JB wants more O from them then he has to get them involved. Team was more energetic on both ends, pushing the action, forcing the issue. Hope it wasn't just due to the competition. We'll see in 2 weeks.

The last number of years the sanctions and subsequent loss of scholarships has left Boeheim with little bench, last year having just 6 available players for much of the season. How would it have been a good idea to go uptempo and burn the them out and risk injuries which would have made matters worse? This year, Howard was out early in the season and when he came back he was playing on an injured foot. Without Frank in the lineup, there is no true point guard, playing a fast paced offense in that situation is not a good idea and would instill sloppy concepts. Now that he is gaining form and the new pieces are fitting better together, you can push the play.

LOL. The () had the double finger emoji for GT, edit took it out
I missed about the first 8 minutes of the game cus YES (damn yankees!) Insisted on showing the end of the Georgetown () game which went into OT (double ). Frowned seeing SU down like 9. Took a few minutes to see SU was busting butt to get back in it. It wasn't until the 2nd half that I noticed the high post sets with Brissett. Just what I was thinking since the UB game. Perfect offense for him. Even have Hughes or MD there. Also actually tried to get Chewie and all the centers actively involved. If JB wants more O from them then he has to get them involved. Team was more energetic on both ends, pushing the action, forcing the issue. Hope it wasn't just due to the competition. We'll see in 2 weeks.

YES did you a favor.

Chaney got off to a great start at Temple but his last couple of decades there look like what we are going through now: John Chaney (basketball, born 1932) - Wikipedia

The zone is a great equalizer for a team with limited talent but I'd rather have the talent.

I think we do have talent but it seems constrained by our limited offense. And we may have less talent than we used to because we don't get out and run the way we used to.