H0T Takes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

H0T Takes

I'm not the X's and O's guy many of you are but to me the genius of boehiem's system was that it wasnt using the zone to cover weakness but to take advantage of strengths, especially given the types of players he liked to have to run his offense. Running opportunistically is great but his best teams also ran very good half court offense. When both offense and defense compliment each other it has been great to watch.

Neither is the surface. Baseball players play for 20 years. Basketball players play 10-12 years.
No idea where you got that stat that baseball players play for 20 years. The average career is 5 years. It's but a handful that play 20 years, like basically no one. And besides, the era when baseball players complained about the hard turf lasted just a few years. New technology has made the turf feel pretty much just like the real stuff.

It is a different game when sitting there, especially to hear all the interactions among players when on defense. The seats also have some magic--I have caught errant passes twice. Too bad it isn't baseball where you get to keep the ball.

No idea where you got that stat that baseball players play for 20 years. The average career is 5 years. It's but a handful that play 20 years, like basically no one. And besides, the era when baseball players complained about the hard turf lasted just a few years. New technology has made the turf feel pretty much just like the real stuff.

I got that stat from the fact that baseball players can play for 20 years and basketball players can't, unless they are centers who don't run the court. Are you seriously questioning that is requires comparable physical effort to play a game on grass with short bursts of action in between long periods of inaction than a constant action sport where you run and jump on a floor?

It doesn't matter at all how long players can play, it matters how long on average they do play. Can and do aren't the same thing. I think the better question is are you seriously questioning playing 162 games over six months or 27 out of 30 days month in and month out with basically no days off unless you're hurt isn't a greater physical effort than short bursts of action with a series of extended rests from jumping and running and playing 3.5x a week. It ain't close.

It doesn't matter at all how long players can play, it matters how long on average they do play. Can and do aren't the same thing. I think the better question is are you seriously questioning playing 162 games over six months or 27 out of 30 days month in and month out with basically no days off unless you're hurt isn't a greater physical effort than short bursts of action with a series of extended rests from jumping and running and playing 3.5x a week. It ain't close.

Lol Bartolo Colon and CC Sabathia are Major League Baseball players. Sabathia may miss Spring Training because of ):&@ing Coronary Artery Disease.

Lol Bartolo Colon and CC Sabathia are Major League Baseball players. Sabathia may miss Spring Training because of ):&@ing Coronary Artery Disease.
Vince Carter is 41 and can barely walk let alone run and jump

Yeah, it ain’t close. Baseball is a ‘marathon,’ but it is in no way more grueling than an nba schedule. Baseball players ‘play’ every day, but how much of that is actual action. It’s a non-contact sport. In a defensive half of an inning, unless you’re a pitcher or catcher, you may not have to move. In an offensive half of an inning, you likely do not have to move. And ‘injuries’ in baseball are a much more sensitive matter. You get pulled from a game for the slightest tweak. Managers rush to the field if you simply stretch after being involved in a play.

Shocking, that you’re characterizing basketball players as taking “a series of extended rests” in a contrast with baseball players. Even taking into consideration ‘backing up’ other players, baseballers are inert a lot of game time.

I'm saying that it takes more effort to play a basketball game than a baseball game and it's more punishing on the body: that's why baseball players can play so many more games and so many more years.

I'm saying that it takes more effort to play a basketball game than a baseball game and it's more punishing on the body: that's why baseball players can play so many more games and so many more years.
Seems obvious to me. I've played Football, basketball, and baseball+softball. I have some sort of condition that affects my endurance, and basketball was always a problem. Football was short bursts of sprint, and i could deal with that, but it adds high impact contact. Baseball, though? Leisurely by comparison. You have to worry about avoiding contact with an opponent really only if you're a middle infielder or catcher, and even that is only a few times per game. In the other two sports, on every play you have a conflict with a person or multiple persons trying to affect you on a physical basis. I wonder if there's a survey of the types of injuries most common/frequent in the various sports...

I've played all the major sports and I think tennis is the toughest when it comes to stamina. Just my opinion.

Players complaining about artificial turf? They were right and currently there are only two major league baseball stadiums with artificial turf.

I don't care what sport we're talking about, player's health should be a high priority. Not always the case.

I've played all the major sports and I think tennis is the toughest when it comes to stamina. Just my opinion.

Players complaining about artificial turf? They were right and currently there are only two major league baseball stadiums with artificial turf.

I don't care what sport we're talking about, player's health should be a high priority. Not always the case.

I read an article someplace a few years ago that said the same, tennis is the toughest.

Yeah tennis is incredibly taxing, so is boxing. Full court basketball is tough too. But you guys are under selling how grueling 162 games is. Everyday for 8 months, counting Spring training. Outfielders and 1B have it the easiest but for middle infielders and 3B it's a real grind. Not to mention catchers... That's why what Cal Ripken did was so incredible.

Yeah tennis is incredibly taxing, so is boxing. Full court basketball is tough too. But you guys are under selling how grueling 162 games is. Everyday for 8 months, counting Spring training. Outfielders and 1B have it the easiest but for middle infielders and 3B it's a real grind. Not to mention catchers... That's why what Cal Ripken did was so incredible.
I am not trying to take anything away from Ripken as it was a truly remarkable feat, but purely from an athletic viewpoint, I don't believe there is any way baseball is as physically challenging as tennis, basketball, football, and others.

Putting aside the skill of hitting/throwing a baseball, I can jog into and from the outfield and catch a ball. I could not play football or tennis at a high level.

I am reminded of John Kruk's wonderful quote - "We're not athletes, we're baseball players!"

I am not trying to take anything away from Ripken as it was a truly remarkable feat, but purely from an athletic viewpoint, I don't believe there is any way baseball is as physically challenging as tennis, basketball, football, and others.

Putting aside the skill of hitting/throwing a baseball, I can jog into and from the outfield and catch a ball. I could not play football or tennis at a high level.

I am reminded of John Kruk's wonderful quote - "We're not athletes, we're baseball players!"

Ah yes that high level athlete John Kruk.

Boo.
My favorite baseball player. Not because of the streak, but because of the way he conducted himself.
He's one of my heroes.

Boo.
My favorite baseball player. Not because of the streak, but because of the way he conducted himself.
He's one of my heroes.
Where did I belittle Ripken and elicit a 'Boo'?

I would think the worst artificial turf would not be as damaging to joints as a hardwood floor.

Lol I know. I just wanted to get that in there. Was also gonna post a pic but got lazy.

Not sure this “John Kruk, Super Athlete” gif totally underscores your point but it’s funny.
567773FE-0CF4-40A4-A3B1-AA7C0C5B1E56.gif

I’m honestly still thinking about how C.C. may miss Spring Training because he has to have a Coronary Artery stented.

Dude probably has gout too.

Where did I belittle Ripken and elicit a 'Boo'?
It was the "not trying to take anything away" part. Maybe I'm sensitive about my dude.
No offense intended and Merry Holidays.:)