H0T Takes | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

H0T Takes

It was the "not trying to take anything away" part. Maybe I'm sensitive about my dude.
I meant I wasn't belittling his accomplishment at all. Maybe I didn't say it clearly.

I'm not sure where to put this but I just read an ESPN article about Pitino coaching his frist game in Greece:

Pitino reminded of Kentucky after Euro debut win

My message to them was that, in watching five films, you can't win playing the type of defense that you're playing," he said. "The second thing I told them is, 'Everybody says you guys can't shoot. That's not true' -- I put them through some shooting drills. I said, 'You guys can shoot, the problem is you can't pass.' I said, 'Because you're averaging 13 assists per game and four guys are watching one. If you get ball movement and you constantly pass the basketball, you'll outshoot them from the 3-point line. And tonight we had 20 assists, we outshot them by 3 points, and they're an outstanding shooting team.
"So it's not the shooting woes, it's the passing woes,
and tonight they were great."

Can someone get Rick on the phone with Jim???

Pitino could very well be talking about the Orange, imo.

I believe that gif is missing the pitch right before this one where RJ steamed one 102 mph BEHIND Kruks head...hence the swing

Lol yes!
B3BBEFC2-60A9-44E0-9610-A2F65C4A9ACE.gif

Pitino is a great coach, would have luved to have had him replace JB if JB decided to retire 12 years ago. His baggage is another thing.

I'm not sure where to put this but I just read an ESPN article aboPut Pitino coaching his frist game in Greece:

Pitino reminded of Kentucky after Euro debut win

My message to them was that, in watching five films, you can't win playing the type of defense that you're playing," he said. "The second thing I told them is, 'Everybody says you guys can't shoot. That's not true' -- I put them through some shooting drills. I said, 'You guys can shoot, the problem is you can't pass.' I said, 'Because you're averaging 13 assists per game and four guys are watching one. If you get ball movement and you constantly pass the basketball, you'll outshoot them from the 3-point line. And tonight we had 20 assists, we outshot them by 3 points, and they're an outstanding shooting team.
"So it's not the shooting woes, it's the passing woes,
and tonight they were great."

Can someone get Rick on the phone with Jim???

Pitino could very well be talking about the Orange, imo.

Pitino is a great coach, would have luved to have had him replace JB if JB decided to retire 12 years ago. His baggage is another thing.
I don't mind him great coach and weird dude.

What's weird to me is it is almost like they heard what Pitino said somehow in the st bonaventure game! - the team was passing much more than they had in any other game this year - and they shot 58% for the game!!

better passing = better shooting

The loss of “h0t take” from the board lexicon is the greatest robbery since the 2012 East Regional Final and yeah I’m gonna keep banging that drum.

Do we have an answer on where it went and why? I’m still baffled.

Nice to see 82 points. The way Syracuse has played over the last number of years I cannot help but to draw parallels with those John Chaney Temple teams of the 80's and 90's. They won games, but Temple basketball was synonamous with the 2-3 matchup zone they played and seemed to be the only defining element of the program. I would be hard pressed to think of the name of even one player they had. I never saw Temple as an elite program, they were a bit of a novelty to me with a gimmicky defense that kept them in games against better competition. They would turn games into low scoring slogs that were ugly to watch. Yes Syracuse is also known for the 2-3 zone but historically has had elite talent that could also outscore an opponent if needed. I'd rather not have to rely on an opponent's inability to execute against the zone to win games, it would be nice to get back to a balanced approach that can adapt to win games in multiple ways.

Temple's zone goes back further than John Chaney. Harry Litwack ran a zone during his long tenure. Litwack is credited with inventing the box-and-one. Another Temple name -- Johnny Baum

Temple's zone goes back further than John Chaney. Harry Litwack ran a zone during his long tenure. Litwack is credited with inventing the box-and-one. Another Temple name -- Johnny Baum
Perhaps, but Chaney is credited with being the mastermind behind the particular 2-3 matchup zone they used during his tenure. My point was simply that, at least from my recollection, that when he was coaching there Temple seemed defined almost entirely by the use of the zone. I have this fear that the Syracuse program has grown stale and that's exactly how people will view Syracuse. As that team that plays zone and turns games into rock fights. Others may not agree about that nor my perception of what Temple was. But, that is what I see.

Nice to see 82 points. The way Syracuse has played over the last number of years I cannot help but to draw parallels with those John Chaney Temple teams of the 80's and 90's. They won games, but Temple basketball was synonamous with the 2-3 matchup zone they played and seemed to be the only defining element of the program. I would be hard pressed to think of the name of even one player they had. I never saw Temple as an elite program, they were a bit of a novelty to me with a gimmicky defense that kept them in games against better competition. They would turn games into low scoring slogs that were ugly to watch. Yes Syracuse is also known for the 2-3 zone but historically has had elite talent that could also outscore an opponent if needed. I'd rather not have to rely on an opponent's inability to execute against the zone to win games, it would be nice to get back to a balanced approach that can adapt to win games in multiple ways.

Maybe it’s just how old I was at the time but I thought the 2000 team with Pepe Sanchez was elite.

FWIW Temple also hasn’t approached the level of success they’ve had since Chaney left.

Maybe it’s just how old I was at the time but I thought the 2000 team with Pepe Sanchez was elite.

FWIW Temple also hasn’t approached the level of success they’ve had since Chaney left.
And you may be correct. I never saw Temple as being on the same level as the Dukes or UNCs. I saw them as a team you didn't like to see in your bracket because of the style they played.

Hey rrlbees, can you change the name so I'm not confused as to which H0T Takes thread I'm responding to? Maybe this one could be the H0t H00ps takes?