Hackett or Marrone on Hot Seat? | Syracusefan.com

Hackett or Marrone on Hot Seat?

Sullycuse

Walk On
I've started to affectionately refer to the SU offensive scheme as the "Counter Intuitive Offense". When PTG looked effective in the first several weeks, they tried to shove Smith down our throats, to no avail. Today Smith looked like he was making ground and with more work could have worn down the defense a bit...so they tried to Shove a lot of east-west yardage into the game with PTG (???). Is this on Hackett? Is it time to move on from him if HCDM wants to continue to try and put a coaching staff together that takes advantage of the new recruiting/talent he has finally started bringing in? As a supporter of Marrone (because I truly believe that he has the best chance at creating a fully integrated SU football program...that means I take into account the fact that his ties to NY and SU and think they hold a lot of weight if he can create and maintain success and for that I will give him another year or so) I am starting to turn. As was brought up regularly in the game thread, player's I.Q and stupid mistaks/lack of execution is certainly on Marrone to a certain extent. But is it sufficient enough of a move to get a new O.C in here? Again as a supporter of Marrone, and wanting to give him a bit more time...I don't think moving on from him would be as bad as some think...he has thoroughly stocked the cupboards for the next guy...it wouldn't be as much of a setback/rebuilding as supporters would like to think for the sake of their/our argument.

Doug is the HC it is on him to make the coaching changes needed and if he does not then he will be gone.

Hindsight will show that DM sealed his fate by refusing to get rid of Hackett and going all in with Nassib.

I guess I was wondering where the mentality of the fanbase is: is Marrone cutting ties with Hackett enough of a change for now providing he can find a proven OC to take his place and take advantage of the talent that is now starting to come in?

I think Doug is in more trouble than just sticking with Hackett. His HC skills just are not there. The team is not prepared, the game management sucks and his ST coaching sucks. I don't know how he is goingt o fix it at this point.

I guess I was wondering where the mentality of the fanbase is: is Marrone cutting ties with Hackett enough of a change for now providing he can find a proven OC to take his place and take advantage of the talent that is now starting to come in?

It's too late now. He should have gotten rid of him at the end of last season if not before. You can't can your OC half way through the season, hire somebody else and expet to pull the plane out of the nose dive.

I think Doug is in more trouble than just sticking with Hackett. His HC skills just are not there. The team is not prepared, the game management sucks and his ST coaching sucks. I don't know how he is goingt o fix it at this point.
The staffing decisions Marrone has made in the last couple of years have been exceptionally poor. No special teams coach and having too much faith in Hackett are only the beginning. He's cut loose coaches that were doing a good job at their position (Conley), but kept around the under-performing coaches (Hackett). When you make decisions based upon things other than performance, you usually make poor decisions. Game performance should be the most heavily weighed factor when deciding on coaches. Marrone doesn't seem to care about that one bit. I guess it would be rather hypocritical of him to do so, because his game performance is rather pitiful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom