Class of 2017 - Hameir Wright (NY) to Washington | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Hameir Wright (NY) to Washington

I think our probation has a little to do with it. However, I think the biggest factor, and one that DOES NOT seem to be brought up is the fact that we are NOT at full strength on the road recruiting due to the NCAA...

P.S.
I think people need to put the pitch forks down on GMAC, the Quade situation is what it is. Just know there were a LOT of external factors that GMAC could not control. Francis alluded to most of them, there were more...
These two sentences highlight the frustration those critical of recruiting currently have; If we are hamstrung with only two recruiters on the road, why is Gmac one of the guys being sent out? Needs to be the HC, and HCIW. If anything the probation only magnifies the need for the top two to be out.

I don't think anyone blames Gmac for Quade, but the problem, again, is if we are sending off Gerry, and Cal shows up, we are bringing a knife to an atomic war.

The HC won't be the HC for the guys we're recruiting now, if all goes to the announced plan.
What's the point? :noidea:

Hop? YES, he should be out there, a LOT.

I don't think anyone blames Gmac for Quade

... and then you go ahead and blame GMac, yet again. :rolleyes:

We could send out JB, Hop, Jim Brown, Floyd Little, Bob Costas, Joe Biden, Vanessa Williams, Megyn Kelly, and that Brazillian supermodel fan, and it wouldn't matter -
because PayPal Cal can send out WorldWide We$ and a UK gym bag full of ca$h. Oh Lord

IMG_3199.PNG
So we still have a chance with him now

These two sentences highlight the frustration those critical of recruiting currently have; If we are hamstrung with only two recruiters on the road, why is Gmac one of the guys being sent out? Needs to be the HC, and HCIW. If anything the probation only magnifies the need for the top two to be out.

I don't think anyone blames Gmac for Quade, but the problem, again, is if we are sending off Gerry, and Cal shows up, we are bringing a knife to an atomic war.
We were "hamstrung"...AND ...two of them were out of the country. I might add, not recruiting in Brazil...lol

I haven't really followed this much...why does Hop leaving = Ham is more likely to come here?

Theoretically means that Boeheim is staying longer, thus he could play for JB.

Don't post too often. Been reading this board since the very start of it. The constant critic of the staffs work ethic compelled me to put some thoughts down regarding the coaches work ethic.

I think our probation has a little to do with it. However, I think the biggest factor, and one that DOES NOT seem to be brought up is the fact that we are NOT at full strength on the road recruiting due to the NCAA... For whatever reason, many posters seem to either leave this (major) detail out OR completely fail to recognize what a hinderance this is... I'd be curious to know, how are two coaches supposed to cover the entire east coast which includes dealing with the logistics of recruits game times, travel schedules along with the coaches practices schedules, game planning etc... I think, and this is just my opinion, the majority of fans are minimizing what a hinderance not being at full strength on the recruiting trail is.

I'm not trying to make excuses. I'm just as frustrated as anyone else... I do think we as fans need to step back and take a minute to realize what are our resources and limitations are currently on the recruiting trail... It's not like these guys forgot how to recruit... I haven't touched on the fact a Hall of Fame coach and living legend will be stepping down in 2018. How many recruits have said that "playing for a hall of fame coach" is mentioned? It's pretty much every single one.

P.S.
I think people need to put the pitch forks down on GMAC, the Quade situation is what it is. Just know there were a LOT of external factors that GMAC could not control. Francis alluded to most of them, there were more...

P.P.S
Francis03 love your pod man, always look forward to listening to it.

Great stuff. Post more often!

Don't post too often. Been reading this board since the very start of it. The constant critic of the staffs work ethic compelled me to put some thoughts down regarding the coaches work ethic.

I think our probation has a little to do with it. However, I think the biggest factor, and one that DOES NOT seem to be brought up is the fact that we are NOT at full strength on the road recruiting due to the NCAA... For whatever reason, many posters seem to either leave this (major) detail out OR completely fail to recognize what a hinderance this is... I'd be curious to know, how are two coaches supposed to cover the entire east coast which includes dealing with the logistics of recruits game times, travel schedules along with the coaches practices schedules, game planning etc... I think, and this is just my opinion, the majority of fans are minimizing what a hinderance not being at full strength on the recruiting trail is.

I'm not trying to make excuses. I'm just as frustrated as anyone else... I do think we as fans need to step back and take a minute to realize what are our resources and limitations are currently on the recruiting trail... It's not like these guys forgot how to recruit... I haven't touched on the fact a Hall of Fame coach and living legend will be stepping down in 2018. How many recruits have said that "playing for a hall of fame coach" is mentioned? It's pretty much every single one.

P.S.

P.P.S
Francis03 love your pod man, always look forward to listening to it.

Most realize that that is a hindrance. The problem is that our head coach hasn't done much, if any, recruiting and Hop wasn't out watching recruits (and I guess we understand why now). It's been up to AA (ok there) and Gmac (little experience, little success thus far) to fight full staffs and the Caliparis of the world. Our staff should've been grinding harder and smarter knowing they couldn't send everyone out, but that didn't seem to happen.

As Francis has mentioned in a number of the threads, our staff hasn't even bothered to see some of the kids we should be targeting (I think Quinerly, for example) or visiting the schools.

JB doesn't even seem to regard recruiting as an issue right now, and seems ready to add an assistant to replace Hop that is more big man coach than recruiter. Think about it, if we go from Hop/Red/Gmac to Red/Gmac/big man coach, our recruiting punch takes an even bigger hit. And if JB isn't going to get out on the grind, we seemingly have issues here that are completely unrelated to sanctions. Luckily, 2 months from now we'll see if anything changes when the restriction ends.

Most realize that that is a hindrance. The problem is that our head coach hasn't done much, if any, recruiting and Hop wasn't out watching recruits (and I guess we understand why now). It's been up to AA (ok there) and Gmac (little experience, little success thus far) to fight full staffs and the Caliparis of the world. Our staff should've been grinding harder and smarter knowing they couldn't send everyone out, but that didn't seem to happen.

As Francis has mentioned in a number of the threads, our staff hasn't even bothered to see some of the kids we should be targeting (I think Quinerly, for example) or visiting the schools.

JB doesn't even seem to regard recruiting as an issue right now, and seems ready to add an assistant to replace Hop that is more big man coach than recruiter. Think about it, if we go from Hop/Red/Gmac to Red/Gmac/big man coach, our recruiting punch takes an even bigger hit. And if JB isn't going to get out on the grind, we seemingly have issues here that are completely unrelated to sanctions. Luckily, 2 months from now we'll see if anything changes when the restriction ends.

That's kind of what I was getting at, let's wait until the Summer circuit when we can get back to full strength on the recruiting trail before we say the staff isn't "grinding." If we're still not in recruits ears by August then that will be an issue.

That's kind of what I was getting at, let's wait until the Summer circuit when we can get back to full strength on the recruiting trail before we say the staff isn't "grinding." If we're still not in recruits ears by August then that will be an issue.
But I think it's more than fair to say whatever plan they've had recently has not been what we all want to see.

Do we really expect JB to get back out there this summer like he used to? If we don't hire an assistant with a strong recruiting background, how is anything going to be different come June 1? That's my concern.

I'm happy to see that the door has possibly reopened for Wright, since Boeheim is now sticking around past 2018. After reading a bunch of posts on this thread I began to wonder. Someone brought up the aspect of the sanctions where the number of coaches on the recruiting trail is limited.

Ok, What kind of punishment is that?! You vacate wins, stupid, but whatever, then you take away schollies, fine... but you can't have more than one coach on the recruiting trail? And I began to wonder... why would the NCAA do something so specific and trivial? Answer- to make sure JB wouldn't snag a title in his last three years of coaching here. Those guys did absolutely everything they could to shut Boeheim down in the twilight of his coaching career. I'm absolutely convinced of that. I was excited on Sunday that we could see a big name replacement instead of Hopkins. Now I am shifting gears and have a newfound excitement for certain doors reopening for recruits, and my just realized BOEHEIM REVENGE FACTOR. Go get it JB.

Lol But let's get him out of here tonight.

Unfortunately, because he doesn't get out on the road and recruit, most recruits don't realize that he is still the coach. :) Maybe the publicity around the extension will change that.

I'm happy to see that the door has possibly reopened for Wright, since Boeheim is now sticking around past 2018. After reading a bunch of posts on this thread I began to wonder. Someone brought up the aspect of the sanctions where the number of coaches on the recruiting trail is limited.

Ok, What kind of punishment is that?! You vacate wins, stupid, but whatever, then you take away schollies, fine... but you can't have more than one coach on the recruiting trail? And I began to wonder... why would the NCAA do something so specific and trivial? Answer- to make sure JB wouldn't snag a title in his last three years of coaching here. Those guys did absolutely everything they could to shut Boeheim down in the twilight of his coaching career. I'm absolutely convinced of that. I was excited on Sunday that we could see a big name replacement instead of Hopkins. Now I am shifting gears and have a newfound excitement for certain doors reopening for recruits, and my just realized BOEHEIM REVENGE FACTOR. Go get it JB.
limiting the number of coaches who can recruit off campus is a common penalty imposed by the NCAA. It isn't unique and specific to Syracuse, and to suggest it was the result of some conspiracy to "shut Boeheim down in the twilight of his career" is solidly in tin foil hat territory.

With all due respect Francis has no idea what goes on in the basketball office and who's ranked where on their recruiting board. And the narrative that JB does little if any recruiting these days is such a crock of sheet. An article I read yesterday mentioned JB in Canada recruiting Brisset.

The Syracuse staff has never cast a wide net like all these other schools. They've historically focused on just a few kids and have by and large been successful with the kids they've targeted. Sure it'd be great if they kissed every kids butt at every AAU event but it's not necessary, not imo, and a waste of resources. It's also very difficult to only be able to send 2 coaches on the road.

If you want to say they've focused on the wrong kids - Patterson, BJ Johnson, Kaleb Joseph etc that's valid, but the false narrative that's now an internet fact is tiring.

Last edited:
limiting the number of coaches who can recruit off campus is a common penalty imposed by the NCAA. It isn't unique and specific to Syracuse, and to suggest it was the result of some conspiracy to "shut Boeheim down in the twilight of his career" is solidly in tin foil hat territory.
Right, my post is "solidly" in tin foil hat territory lol. Can you cite several cases where this penalty has been imposed? According to you it's common, so it should be easy. I believe that this rule is used to limit a coach-in-waiting's competitive advantage on the recruiting trail, according to my link below. However, can you cite a situation where this particular penalty was imposed on a sitting coaching staff with no outside coach in waiting?

New NCAA rule limiting head coaches in waiting on the recruiting trail affects Texas, Maryland

Last edited:
With all due respect Francis has no idea what goes on in the basketball office and who's ranked where on their recruiting board. And the narrative that JB does little if any recruiting these days is such a crock of sheet. An article I read yesterday mentioned JB in Canada recruiting Brisset.

The Syracuse staff has never cast a wide net like all these other schools. They've historically focused on just a few kids and have by and large been successful with the kids they've targeted. Sure it'd be great if they kissed every kids butt at every AAU event but it's not necessary, not imo, and a waste resources. It's also very difficult to only be able to send 2 coaches on the road.

If you want to say they've focused on the wrong kids - Patterson, BJ Johnson, Kaleb Joseph etc that's valid, but the false narrative that's now an internet fact is tiring.
I don't think people are saying JB doesn't recruit at all. People are saying he only goes to AAU events and doesn't visit kids at their school which does matter. Are you saying you read an article that JB is in Canada visiting Brissett at his school. If so I would love to see it. I also disagree regarding our history and what we are currently doing. We recruited Philadelphia hard and it resulted in recruits like Rak, Scoop, Dion and Ric Jackson coming here. Lonnie Walker made comments we didn't even call him for good stretches of time let alone come and see him play regularly. We needed him and didn't put the effort in to have a reasonable shot because I'm guessing we thought he would just go to Nova which didn't happen. I agree 2 people on the road is a big problem and part of it. The other thing people say is that JB doesn't have the same fire to recruit that K, Cal and Self have which I think is probably true and a problem since we got up against them for the top kids. I love JB and I'm the ultimate JB guy but these are real problems. Also Francis isn't the only one saying these things.

I did some googling,

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/West Virginia Public Inf Decision.pdf

"The number of recruiters off campus during the recruiting period beginning September 9, 2013, and ending November 10, 2013, was reduced by one to no more than three off campus at any time." That's only for a few months though.

IU's Sampson sanctioned by NCAA

NCAA bars Calhoun for 3 future Big East games

Not quite the same, UConn also faces a reduction of the number of men's basketball off-campus recruiting days by 40, from 130 to 90, for the 2010-11, 2011-12 and 2012-13 recruiting periods.