Class of 2017 - Hameir Wright (NY) to Washington | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Hameir Wright (NY) to Washington

Right, my post is "solidly" in tin foil hat territory lol. Can you cite several cases where this penalty has been imposed? According to you it's common, so it should be easy. I believe that this rule is used to limit a coach-in-waiting's competitive advantage on the recruiting trail, according to my link below. However, can you cite a situation where this particular penalty was imposed on a sitting coaching staff with no outside coach in waiting?

New NCAA rule limiting head coaches in waiting on the recruiting trail affects Texas, Maryland

I never knew this but would explain why Hopkins has not been on the road. Right ?

I've read also sorts of theories on the board but then there is this...

from that article

"Because of a new NCAA guideline that requires designated coaches in waiting to follow the same recruiting rules as the current head coach. The rule passed at the NCAA convention last month, about two weeks before National Signing Day."

I never knew this but would explain why Hopkins has not been on the road. Right ?

I've read also sorts of theories on the board but then there is this...

from that article

"Because of a new NCAA guideline that requires designated coaches in waiting to follow the same recruiting rules as the current head coach. The rule passed at the NCAA convention last month, about two weeks before National Signing Day."
True but the NCAA went beyond this in its ruling against Syracuse.

I don't know what to say to people that don't think the NCAA or someone in that organization wasn't targeting JB. They investigated us for 8 years and found squat in comparison to how long they investigated. They then hit us with a post season ban, massive ship reduction, recruiting restrictions and went out of their way to discredit his pending 1000 wins by taking away a ridiculous amount of games. 8 years of sniffing around compared to the list of infractions they came up with makes me think we must run one of the cleanest high level bball programs in the country.

I don't think people are saying JB doesn't recruit at all. People are saying he only goes to AAU events and doesn't visit kids at their school which does matter. Are you saying you read an article that JB is in Canada visiting Brissett at his school. If so I would love to see it. I also disagree regarding our history and what we are currently doing. We recruited Philadelphia hard and it resulted in recruits like Rak, Scoop, Dion and Ric Jackson coming here. Lonnie Walker made comments we didn't even call him for good stretches of time let alone come and see him play regularly. We needed him and didn't put the effort in to have a reasonable shot because I'm guessing we thought he would just go to Nova which didn't happen. I agree 2 people on the road is a big problem and part of it. The other thing people say is that JB doesn't have the same fire to recruit that K, Cal and Self have which I think is probably true and a problem since we got up against them for the top kids. I love JB and I'm the ultimate JB guy but these are real problems. Also Francis isn't the only one saying these things.

No the article said he was in Canada conducting an in-home visit. So I assume it was last fall. I'll find the article. Point is, he is out visiting doing what needs to be done.

Do we even know if JB is allowed off campus to recruit?

"The other thing people say is that JB doesn't have the same fire to recruit..."

How would anybody know this to be true?

Coaches Face Recruiting Penalties

For the 1999-2000 recruiting period, the University will limit Neuheisel's off-campus recruiting visits to nine. Under NCAA rules he could have made up to 29 visits.

Missouri admits to 'major' NCAA violations during Haith's tenure as coach

The former associate head men's basketball coach, Fuller, was prohibited from off-campus recruiting for a period of three months during the review process.

and i'm done with this

Were these penalties in response to recruiting violations? I don't believe we had any recruiting violations sighted. I can understand limiting ships to an extent but why limit our ability to recruit if we didn't have any actual recruiting infractions?

No the article said he was in Canada conducting an in-home visit. So I assume it was last fall. I'll find the article. Point is, he is out visiting doing what needs to be done.

Do we even know if JB is allowed off campus to recruit?

"The other thing people say is that JB doesn't have the same fire to recruit..."

How would anybody know this to be true?

Those seem to contradict each other.

Those seem to contradict each other.

yes they do, except i would assume it excludes in-home visits. it would seem pretty death penalty-ish if you didn't allow the head coach to conduct and in-home visit with the family.

yes they do, except i would assume it excludes in-home visits. it would seem pretty death penalty-ish if you didn't allow the head coach to conduct and in-home visit with the family.

Yea, agreed. I am pretty sure that JB hasn't been banned from going out and recruiting.

Admittedly, I'm one of the ones who have been harsh on the staff's recruiting efforts. Limiting the number of coaches who can be out on the road recruiting is obviously a hindrance. However, even if you can only have 1 or 2 guys out there watching a recruit play that is still plenty. I attend some NEPSAC games and you see coaches there all the time and I have never seen more than 2 coaches watching a recruit's game at once. Usually it's just one assistant watching by himself or occasionally a head coach. So for some to use the excuse that our staff hasn't been out watching recruits play because all 4 of them can't go doesn't hold much water.

I did some googling,

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/West Virginia Public Inf Decision.pdf

"The number of recruiters off campus during the recruiting period beginning September 9, 2013, and ending November 10, 2013, was reduced by one to no more than three off campus at any time." That's only for a few months though.

IU's Sampson sanctioned by NCAA

NCAA bars Calhoun for 3 future Big East games

Not quite the same, UConn also faces a reduction of the number of men's basketball off-campus recruiting days by 40, from 130 to 90, for the 2010-11, 2011-12 and 2012-13 recruiting periods.
Right and what they did here does not compare to what they did to Syracuse. Like jordoo says in his post, it's very difficult to assume JB wasn't targeted. It's obvious to me that the NCAA attempted to stop him from getting a title in the twilight of his coaching career. No tin foil hat in sight here.

Yea, agreed. I am pretty sure that JB hasn't been banned from going out and recruiting.

Admittedly, I'm one of the ones who have been harsh on the staff's recruiting efforts. Limiting the number of coaches who can be out on the road recruiting is obviously a hindrance. However, even if you can only have 1 or 2 guys out there watching a recruit play that is still plenty. I attend some NEPSAC games and you see coaches there all the time and I have never seen more than 2 coaches watching a recruit's game at once. Usually it's just one assistant watching by himself or occasionally a head coach. So for some to use the excuse that our staff hasn't been out watching recruits play because all 4 of them can't go doesn't hold much water.
Agree and it's even more frustrating that, while facing recruiting restrictions during this past 2017 recruiting cycle, which has been marked as one of the most important years for the past 2-3 years, we send G-Smack to be the face of the program for top-40 players. And we wonder why these kids go elsewhere. If we're only allowed 2 coaches on the road, it should have been only JB and Hop, and Autry when appropriate, such as in his area of expertise. It makes zero sense to send G-Mac anywhere to try to build relationships with the current state of the program. Keep him locked in a gym teaching our guys how to shoot free throws.

With all due respect Francis has no idea what goes on in the basketball office and who's ranked where on their recruiting board. And the narrative that JB does little if any recruiting these days is such a crock of sheet. An article I read yesterday mentioned JB in Canada recruiting Brisset.

The Syracuse staff has never cast a wide net like all these other schools. They've historically focused on just a few kids and have by and large been successful with the kids they've targeted. Sure it'd be great if they kissed every kids butt at every AAU event but it's not necessary, not imo, and a waste of resources. It's also very difficult to only be able to send 2 coaches on the road.

If you want to say they've focused on the wrong kids - Patterson, BJ Johnson, Kaleb Joseph etc that's valid, but the false narrative that's now an internet fact is tiring.

I'm sure JB is still "recruiting" but is he out there watching kids nearly as much as he used to? All indications say no. If you have different info than what is out there, that would be good news.

We all understand the difficulties of only being able to send 2 coaches out at a time. The issue some of us have is that it's basically just been Red and GMac doing that. Do we really want our least experienced recruiter out there against Calipari or whoever? Or do we want to send the top dogs out to see these kids more? Now that Hop is gone, it could get tougher.

I think we can all agree that targeting the wrong kids has been an issue. But isn't that player evaluation a problem then? That seems like a lot of misses over the last 3-5 years.

But the biggest concern is the philosophy that seems to be in place...targeting zone fits above all, putting all our eggs in the Quade basket, sticking to a narrower recruiting area (as you mentioned, may not be a huge issue, but when you look for specific kids, it is probably best to expand your reach), not recruiting more guards. etc.

Hopefully, this Hop thing will motivate JB to really crush the next year on the recruiting front. 2018 is a critical class and all hands should be on deck. We hope JB is ready to help make up for the loss of Hop instead of just relying on the two assistants still in place. The new assistant hire will be big, too.

Were these penalties in response to recruiting violations? I don't believe we had any recruiting violations sighted. I can understand limiting ships to an extent but why limit our ability to recruit if we didn't have any actual recruiting infractions?
100% spot on and a big aspect of my post about this. Thanks for adding to it.

Agree and it's even more frustrating that, while facing recruiting restrictions during this past 2017 recruiting cycle, which has been marked as one of the most important years for the past 2-3 years, we send G-Smack to be the face of the program for top-40 players. And we wonder why these kids go elsewhere. If we're only allowed 2 coaches on the road, it should have been only JB and Hop, and Autry when appropriate, such as in his area of expertise. It makes zero sense to send G-Mac anywhere to try to build relationships with the current state of the program. Keep him locked in a gym teaching our guys how to shoot free throws.

That was puzzling while it was going on and then played out pretty much exactly like we all expected.

It doesn't make sense to me how so many people seem to just excuse or accept JB's lack of involvement in recruiting lately. It's a huge part of his job that he's paid a lot of money to do and just doesn't feel like doing anymore I guess but it's supposed to be just accepted because?

There is a post on the Boneyard saying UConn is trying to get involved. They think he is a strong lean to Syracuse right now...

With all due respect Francis has no idea what goes on in the basketball office and who's ranked where on their recruiting board. And the narrative that JB does little if any recruiting these days is such a crock of sheet. An article I read yesterday mentioned JB in Canada recruiting Brisset.

The Syracuse staff has never cast a wide net like all these other schools. They've historically focused on just a few kids and have by and large been successful with the kids they've targeted. Sure it'd be great if they kissed every kids butt at every AAU event but it's not necessary, not imo, and a waste of resources. It's also very difficult to only be able to send 2 coaches on the road.

If you want to say they've focused on the wrong kids - Patterson, BJ Johnson, Kaleb Joseph etc that's valid, but the false narrative that's now an internet fact is tiring.
Believe what you want papi. Glad you know that I have no clue what goes on behind the scenes better than myself.
C2V2H5DW8AAjSgo.gif

https://basketballrecruiting./news/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
This mentions him as a heavy lean.

But I think it's more than fair to say whatever plan they've had recently has not been what we all want to see.

Do we really expect JB to get back out there this summer like he used to? If we don't hire an assistant with a strong recruiting background, how is anything going to be different come June 1? That's my concern.

Serious question. How strong do you need to be? If I'm Gerry or AA then I'm out there grinding everyone I can. You are a former player, it's Syracuse basketball, we play in the dome in front of HUGE crowds, we are in the best conference in the country, we make the tournament almost every year, and we open a paths to NBA. If you think kids on the fence get him up there, if you cant get him up there call in your HOF coach to come visit.

I think some of this situation is due to complacency and not attending to things that will always need attending to no matter how good of a program we are.

This mentions him as a heavy lean.

It might be difficult to say that Syracuse is a favorite for anyone in the 2018 class, but it can be seen heavily in the mix for many top prospects from the Northeast.

Eric Ayala, a potential reclass into the 2017 class, has spoken favorably about the Orange in recent months as his relationship with assistant coach Gerry McNamara could be the helping hand in Ayala’s commitment to the ACC program.

Hameir Wright might be the most favorable and heaviest lean when it comes to a capable Syracuse commit in 2018. Reclassing back a year, Wright has always been a favorite of the Orange and while he does still need to become more consistent with his play, he does bring favorable traits as a combo forward that has excelled in the past at Syracuse.

The Orange haven’t had much of a facilitating point guard since Tyler Ennis. Thus, their affection for Jahvon Quinerly is real as the Hudson Catholic guard has cemented his standing as one of the best guards this winter and with it, has seen his stock soar in the eyes of the Orange’s coaching staff. Others to keep tabs on include Carmody, Jalen Smith, AJ Reeves, Cam Reddish and Naz Reid.

Last edited:

If you don't send a young coach out on the recruiting trail, he won't get better at recruiting. With Hop's departure, it's a darn good thing we had Gmac getting out on the road because we're going to need him on the recruiting trail in the coming years. Most programs have the assistant coaches do 90% of the leg work and then the HC closes. Coach K is not flying around the country every other weekend watching kids play basketball; he has guys under him that get paid to do that. Sanctions or not, there's little value in JB being the one watching the games. Players care about which teams are watching them play and which teams are making the right pitches; they don't care about which coach is the one watching them.

Also with no disrespect intended, I think there is some truth to this. Nobody can knock Francis' contributions to the board; he's plugged into recruiting better than probably any other fan here. He's a legend. But, that doesn't mean his word is gospel.

His comments about Boeheim's recruiting, or lack thereof, are at least partially opinion. Yes, he likely knows who is on the road and when most of the time, but he doesn't know the inner workings of the coaching staff as much as people think he does or perhaps as much as he thinks he does (unless he's on the coaching staff). There are primary sources and secondary sources. When Francis evaluates a recruit and gives us info about him, he's a primary source. When he tells us what the coaching staff thinks of the recruit or their plans for recruiting, he's a secondary source. Like a game of Telephone, secondary sources are going to miss out on some information.

Jim Boeheim does not fly all over the place hunting down recruits. Safe to say that's true. But that's not out of the ordinary. To then say that this, maybe with the addition of some other factors, means JB is disinterested in recruiting or flat out doesn't care about it is a subjective opinion. It's an inference based on limited information on JB's actions.

Making that inference is fine, but now we have half the board parroting it as established fact, then each poster is adding more inferences of their own as we go further down the rabbit hole. I think some posters need to take a step back and re-evaluate the likelihood that JB just recently decided to phone it in. A lot of this, in my opinion, is a result of the struggles on the court. People think because the team has had a few bad seasons that the coaches must not be doing their job. Bad seasons happen, especially on the heels of some of the harshest sanctions the NCAA has passed down on any bball program in a decade or more.

I'm not going out on a limb when I say it's more likely than not that JB and his coaching staff will do exactly what needs to be done to right the ship, and I know that's what everybody here is hoping for. We have history on our side in a big way.

I would really love to see Hameir play for SU. I think it would be an awesome get.

I think we should have a separate thread about coaches and recruiting. But I think Hameir will be a great player, and the kind of kid SU needs.

Also with no disrespect intended, I think there is some truth to this. Nobody can knock Francis' contributions to the board; he's plugged into recruiting better than probably any other fan here. He's a legend. But, that doesn't mean his word is gospel.

His comments about Boeheim's recruiting, or lack thereof, are at least partially opinion. Yes, he likely knows who is on the road and when most of the time, but he doesn't know the inner workings of the coaching staff as much as people think he does or perhaps as much as he thinks he does (unless he's on the coaching staff). There are primary sources and secondary sources. When Francis evaluates a recruit and gives us info about him, he's a primary source. When he tells us what the coaching staff thinks of the recruit or their plans for recruiting, he's a secondary source. Like a game of Telephone, secondary sources are going to miss out on some information.

Jim Boeheim does not fly all over the place hunting down recruits. Safe to say that's true. But that's not out of the ordinary. To then say that this, maybe with the addition of some other factors, means JB is disinterested in recruiting or flat out doesn't care about it is a subjective opinion. It's an inference based on limited information on JB's actions.

Making that inference is fine, but now we have half the board parroting it as established fact, then each poster is adding more inferences of their own as we go further down the rabbit hole. I think some posters need to take a step back and re-evaluate the likelihood that JB just recently decided to phone it in. A lot of this, in my opinion, is a result of the struggles on the court. People think because the team has had a few bad seasons that the coaches must not be doing their job. Bad seasons happen, especially on the heels of some of the harshest sanctions the NCAA has passed down on any bball program in a decade or more.

I'm not going out on a limb when I say it's more likely than not that JB and his coaching staff will do exactly what needs to be done to right the ship, and I know that's what everybody here is hoping for. We have history on our side in a big way.
AMEN:)

It might be difficult to say that Syracuse is a favorite for anyone in the 2018 class, but it can be seen heavily in the mix for many top prospects from the Northeast.

Eric Ayala, a potential reclass into the 2017 class, has spoken favorably about the Orange in recent months as his relationship with assistant coach Gerry McNamara could be the helping hand in Ayala’s commitment to the ACC program.

Hameir Wright might be the most favorable and heaviest lean when it comes to a capable Syracuse commit in 2018. Reclassing back a year, Wright has always been a favorite of the Orange and while he does still need to become more consistent with his play, he does bring favorable traits as a combo forward that has excelled in the past at Syracuse.

The Orange haven’t had much of a facilitating point guard since Tyler Ennis. Thus, their affection for Jahvon Quinerly is real as the Hudson Catholic guard has cemented his standing as one of the best guards this winter and with it, has seen his stock soar in the eyes of the Orange’s coaching staff. Others to keep tabs on include Carmody, Jalen Smith, AJ Reeves, Cam Reddish and Naz Reid.

Francis, I'm curious what you think about this report. I won't pretend to know everything you've written, but the impression that I've gotten from you (to my recollection) is:

Ayala - seem to have a pretty good shot at him
Wright - kind of up in the air after Hop left, but still trying?
Quinerly - not really trying for him
Carmody, Jalen, Reeves - don't really recall
Reddish - probably missed the boat on him already
Naz Reid - don't remember, but I'm guessing the same as Reddish?