Handicapping This Thing..... | Syracusefan.com

Handicapping This Thing.....

newmexicuse

All Conference
It seems as if support is building for Bernie. The credability of the accusers appears to be weakening.

Though there are questions I have raised in other threads that I would like to have answered, it does appear that the worst is behind us in terms of the Davis accusation. I think it will take more accusers or a smoking gun of some sort to for this not to pass.

At this point I say the odds are 90% nothing comes of it sooner or later. However, if it plays out that way, the besmirching of Bernie's name and reputation will have been a real shame. An especial shame on ESPN for airing this thing with no real corroborating evidence.

I hope it plays out that way & Bernie can sue them big-time.

It seems as if support is building for Bernie. The credability of the accusers appears to be weakening.

Though there are questions I have raised in other threads that I would like to have answered, it does appear that the worst is behind us in terms of the Davis accusation. I think it will take more accusers or a smoking gun of some sort to for this not to pass.

At this point I say the odds are 90% nothing comes of it sooner or later. However, if it plays out that way, the besmirching of Bernie's name and reputation will have been a real shame. An especial shame on ESPN for airing this thing with no real corroboarting evidence.

I hope it play sout that way & Bernie can sue them big-time.

Let me say this: if any fraction of the accusations are true, then I hope Bernie Fine is prosecuted to the full extent of the law and spends the rest of his life in prison.

If they aren't true, then I think the program will avoid any major impacts--just like last year when the "story" broke about Scoop point shaving. That seemed like it would turn into a big deal, but was quickly dismissed as nothing more than poor journalism. I am starting to feel more comfortable that this might be a similar outcome. Dust up--abso-freaking-lutely--but not one that has any lasting impact.

That is, except for Bernie Fine. I think he's done, no matter how this turns out, and he'll have to live with the stigma associated with these accusations. If he's innocent, that is really too bad.

In my mind, this all hinges on the text I've highlighted in red above. If any more accusers come forward, then this is going to get very, very, very, very ugly for SU / Boeheim. If not, then I'd almost expect the majority of public perception impact to blow over fairly quickly, pending the lengthier police investigation and any follow up university investigation.

At this point what is the "fullest extent of the law"? It happened a long time ago. If some evidence comes forward to make this into more then a he said/ she said then i'd imagine Fine would lose his job and possibly Boeheim would have to step down after making all these public statements backing him.

Let me say this: if any fraction of the accusations are true, then I hope Bernie Fine is prosecuted to the full extent of the law and spends the rest of his life in prison.

If they aren't true, then I think the program will avoid any major impacts--just like last year when the "story" broke about Scoop point shaving. That seemed like it would turn into a big deal, but was quickly dismissed as nothing more than poor journalism. I am starting to feel more comfortable that this might be a similar outcome. Dust up--abso-freaking-lutely--but not one that has any lasting impact.

That is, except for Bernie Fine. I think he's done, no matter how this turns out, and he'll have to live with the stigma associated with these accusations. If he's innocent, that is really too bad.

In my mind, this all hinges on the text I've highlighted in red above. If any more accusers come forward, then this is going to get very, very, very, very ugly for SU / Boeheim. If not, then I'd almost expect the majority of public perception impact to blow over fairly quickly, pending the lengthier police investigation and any follow up university investigation.

I do not agree about Bernie being done. If nothing more comes of this JB will not cast Bernie aside nor should the university. To do so would imply doubt and/or guilt.

As to the stigma remaining that will depend on how this plays out. In particular, assuming no other accusers or smoking guns, if Davis and Lang are fully discredited more of the stigma will be on ESPN for airing the story than will be on Bernie. But, yes, when something like this happens the there will always be some who will never view Bernie the same way, and that would be a real shame.

I do not agree about Bernie being done. If nothing more comes of this JB will not cast Bernie aside nor should the university. To do so would imply doubt and/or guilt.

As to the stigma remaining that will depend on how this plays out. In particular, assuming no other accusers or smoking guns, if Davis and Lang are fully discredited more of the stigma will be on ESPN for airing the story than will be on Bernie. But, yes, when something like this happens the there will always be some who will never view Bernie the same way, and that would be a real shame.

Here's why I think he's finished: he's a coach, on a team that relies upon recruiting high school kids to fill the roster. I just don't see how Fine will be allowed to continue when that can be used negatively against us in dirty recruiting.

If cleared [whatever that means], I expect Fine to retire and move on--not be fired, but possibly forced out.

This has already come up twice [to my knowledge]--2005 and 2011--and I doubt that the University is going to leave an opportunity to see this resurface again down the road.

Here's why I think he's finished: he's a coach, on a team that relies upon recruiting high school kids to fill the roster. I just don't see how Fine will be allowed to continue when that can be used negatively against us in dirty recruiting.

If cleared [whatever that means], I expect Fine to retire and move on--not be fired, but possibly forced out.

Agree

This has already come up twice [to my knowledge]--2005 and 2011--and I doubt that the University is going to leave an opportunity to see this resurface again down the road.

Speaking of recruiting, when exactly was Fine taken off the road? It coincided with Troy Murphy's arrival right? It was not in the same time frame as the discovery of these allegations, no?

I think if that happens JB will be moving on as well.

I still find it impossible to reconcile these two FACTS:

1) Lang said that the PSU incident inspired him to come forward with the allegations.
2) When Davis, Lang's own step-brother, made the same allegations in 2005 and couldn't get support or corroboration from anyone ... his own step-brother wasn't inspired to step forward then.

So apparently it's OK if your relative is hung out to dry when you could back him up and support him ... but if something like it happens elsewhere, you're suddenly motivated?

The fact that a relative that could have helped his case in 2005 didn't come forward until after Davis was told by two media outlets that they needed a second witness/acuser to run the story is overwhelmingly incomprehensible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom