Happy Bobby Bonilla Day | Syracusefan.com

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day

Happy Bobby Bonilla day to you as well, will he be showing us the upper east side?

52920354_2709438102408348_7691742495297765376_n.jpg

Bobby Bo might have played cards with Rickey Henderson in the clubhouse while the Mets frittered away the 1999 pennant, and he might've used the dugout phone to yell at Jay Horwitz because the scorekeeper gave him at error, but at least he never threw girlie-slaps at a teammate in the dugout like this knucklehead.

the mets have several of these long term deferred deals. they are paying bret saberhagen until 2029. but the funniest one is daryl strawberry's deal, in which the mets cut a monthly check for about $9k every month until 2033. but daryl doesn't get the check. he got in tax trouble a few years back & the irs seized his deferred contract & auctioned. there has been some random dude out there cashing daryl's checks for the last 4-5 years and will continue to do so for another 14 years

the mets have several of these long term deferred deals. they are paying bret saberhagen until 2029. but the funniest one is daryl strawberry's deal, in which the mets cut a monthly check for about $9k every month until 2033. but daryl doesn't get the check. he got in tax trouble a few years back & the irs seized his deferred contract & auctioned. there has been some random dude out there cashing daryl's checks for the last 4-5 years and will continue to do so for another 14 years

Wow, news to me, but you're right about that one: IRS gets $1.3 million for Darryl Strawberry’s Mets annuity

its such a weird story, a lot of teams have deferred money.

This game up in my YouTube suggested videos, I watched it, and found it way too entertaining. Bobby Bonilla Day mention at the 2:40 mark.

Other than "Because they're the Mets!", why did the Mets think it was a good idea to pay Bonilla $29 million (when they're finally done) than just eat the $5 million, letting him sit, but be done with him?

Which begs the question, "Why don't the Yankees just pay Ellsbury and be done with him?"

Other than "Because they're the Mets!", why did the Mets think it was a good idea to pay Bonilla $29 million (when they're finally done) than just eat the $5 million, letting him sit, but be done with him?

Which begs the question, "Why don't the Yankees just pay Ellsbury and be done with him?"

They couldn’t afford it when it was originally due because they lost their shirt in the Madoff Ponzi scheme.

This was a smart deal apparently for reasons I don’t understand.

As a kid I went to a game at Three Rivers on bat day and got a bat with Bobby Bonilla’s autograph imprinted on it.

I still have it. Actually keep it in a special place in case I ever have an unwelcome intruder.

This was a smart deal apparently for reasons I don’t understand.

They paid him 8% interest, so if you could make more than 8% (hello madoff!) then you would be net positive.

I think (?) the Wilpons ended up getting most of their money from Madoff back, so they may have done ok here. It's not ridiculous to think they did, but its also not a lock they did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom