Hard not to love this staff. | Syracusefan.com

Hard not to love this staff.

Rocco

Watching you.
Signing day has more excitement than I can ever remember in the last 15 years.

There certainly is an appearance and evidence that they are working their tails off!

if they pull in a Top 25 class next year, this place isn't going to know what to do with itself as signing day approaches - folks will be bouncing off the virtual walls in this joint :)

really excited about the future of this program. Wow. Its only a matter of time before we land a 5 star guy.

Talk about getting the fan base engaged. I don't have twitter but I am considering it. This guy knows how to get a buzz going. I hope he can coach as well.

if they pull in a Top 25 class next year, this place isn't going to know what to do with itself as signing day approaches - folks will be bouncing off the virtual walls in this joint :)
I agree but also think that the sentiment will be crazy as 2014 signing day approaches.. Top 25 recruiting classes generally mean a bunch of schools will be trying to poach our commits at the last minute... we all know how fans on this board react to a little competition... I myself love it.

Hopefully they can keep the gang together for at least 3 years. If everything comes together with an exciting offense and 9+ win seasons OCGM will be long gone.

George McDonald@CoachGMcDonald
@JustDubs1 not about the stars but with 365 days and the staff that CoachShafer has put together... top 25 class in 2014 #Recruiting365:24-7

George McDonald@CoachGMcDonald
Ok deep breath in slowly exhale out set your eyes on the goal and lets finish strong! #SigningDay5DaysAway #GrindDontStop

Signing day has more excitement than I can ever remember in the last 15 years.

I love Coach McD's enthusiasm but we should probably temper our enthusiasm until we get more evidence that the new staff can deliver. Don't want to be a downer but I'm just looking for a little bit more proof before I start doing jumping jacks.

really excited about the future of this program. Wow. Its only a matter of time before we land a 5 star guy.

Assuming we can hang onto GMac for 2-3 years, I truly think we will land a blue chipper. The day that happens, this board will need to have it's own Forum dedicated to that kid.

It's fun to have a balls-out, well-connected recruiter on the recruiting trail.

I'm enthused too, but don't get your expectations for 5-stars too high. There's only a few of them each year and they almost all go to the factories - what they can offer is just too much. Only exceptions I noticed on a quick scan of this years list is a kid from Mississippi going to Miss. State and another from Louisville staying home with the Cardinals. I'd say our only hope is the same - either a local kid, CNY transplant, or lifelong SU fan from somewhere.

Has this area ever produced a 5-star besides Paulus (local kid who ended up at SU btw)?

I love Coach McD's enthusiasm but we should probably temper our enthusiasm until we get more evidence that the new staff can deliver. Don't want to be a downer but I'm just looking for a little bit more proof before I start doing jumping jacks.
Pretty good test case, no? If these guys can't do it, we should probably accept that it ain't gonna happen regardless of who we hire.

Pretty good test case, no? If these guys can't do it, we should probably accept that it ain't gonna happen regardless of who we hire.

That may be true. Here's to hoping!

Has this area ever produced a 5-star besides Paulus (local kid who ended up at SU btw)?

Green, Smith, Hollihan...and...?

I love Coach McD's enthusiasm but we should probably temper our enthusiasm until we get more evidence that the new staff can deliver. Don't want to be a downer but I'm just looking for a little bit more proof before I start doing jumping jacks.[/quote]

I agree. I like his ability to recruit and it bodes well for his time here. But he hasn't coached a single game or practice yet and some are annoiting him the king of SU football. For all we know he might not be able to coach his way out of a paper bag. If the kids buy into his system like they do his recruiting pitch then we will have some fun watching Cuse the next couple of years. But I will withhold judgement til I see what he produces on the field.

Shafer and his staff seems to have done a great job at getting back the mom entum we had to end the season. After all is settled it seems we have right the potential recruiting collapse, and possibly even enhanced it. Now we have alleged plans to announce plans for our on IPF, to go along with the recently completed renovations. Even without a start date set just having it out there that the plans are made should help, not even with recruiting, but with local support. Still with all of this going for us our first 2 games next season will be crucial for the perception of the new staff. We open up with 2 extremely difficult games even before HCSS home opener. We need to at least split those in order to keep the enthusiasm for the season since I feel the biggest task for this new staff is to continue to increase the fan support. In order for this program to truly get rolling we can't continually have a barely half full dome. We need fans in the seats. it's what recruits want to see, let alone the current players. We have a good buzz going right now, but the first 2 games will be crucial. If we can start 2-0, with a new staff, and a legit buzz, it could be a great home opener for HCSS, and a great chance of getting off to a great start, which can allow us to get a top recruiting class.

Marquise Walker.
Mike Hart unbelievably was only a 3 star.
Dorsey Levens should have been a 5 star but I don't think the 5 star rating system existed in his time. It didn't for exist for Green, Holohan, JJ Grant or even Will Smith (that I can find) either. All were huge talents that would have at least been rated high 4 star players...

Damien Mallory was a Parade All American.

For the people who don't want to be debbie downers that's totally fair, as we all want to win real games and not the mythical championships that rutgers wins between january and august.

But the alternative could be a bunch of coaches who don't create any buzz their first 2/3 weeks on the job. I'll take the guys who start out of the gate creating some buzz and getting people excited. These guys came in and immediately won recruiting battles for kids who are officially visiting other BCS programs.

Its more positive than not, lets hope it translate to W's.

Mike Hart unbelievably was only a 3 star.
Dorsey Levens should have been a 5 star but I don't think the 5 star rating system existed in his time. It didn't for exist for Green, Holohan, JJ Grant or even Will Smith (that I can find) either. All were huge talents that would have at least been rated high 4 star players...
I remember the debates on here raging about hart, me saying (he played on my nephews team many years) he's a 5 star guy, so many others saying no way he's good enough for div. 1. Now having the same (though less often lately) with respect to AB in the qb spot. Let's hope that ends the same way and hope and pray he's eating, living and drinking the playbook to give himself a chance.

Glad to see this staff may embrace the internet and social media. Make it work for you vs working against it. Create the buzz.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3