Hard not to love this staff. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hard not to love this staff.

Damien Mallory was a Parade All American.

For the people who don't want to be debbie downers that's totally fair, as we all want to win real games and not the mythical championships that rutgers wins between january and august.

But the alternative could be a bunch of coaches who don't create any buzz their first 2/3 weeks on the job. I'll take the guys who start out of the gate creating some buzz and getting people excited. These guys came in and immediately won recruiting battles for kids who are officially visiting other BCS programs.

Its more positive than not, lets hope it translate to W's.

It seems like we have guys who actually love to recruit. Why, I have no idea. I think it sounds like the worst job in the world, to be honest. Unless I were Spurrier and was so skilled at delegating it, I would take an NFL job any day of the week.

I also like that McDonald is on twitter. Not one of those dinosaurs on twitter either who is doing it because someone twisted his arm. Seems like the kind of guy that relates to players well.

That's the optimistic side. The wait and see side is, yeah, these guys will need to produce that winning team on the field. This program is in a much better place than where Marrone found it. They need to continue that momentum. Perfect opportunity to make a splash with that opener.

if they pull in a Top 25 class next year, this place isn't going to know what to do with itself as signing day approaches - folks will be bouncing off the virtual walls in this joint :)
My guess is we'll have people reminding us that stars don't matter.

Stars do matter...But not for the reason you think. Stars matter to create national buzz. If we start turning up top 25 classes we will create a massive amount of buzz and become a place people want to go to especially the big name local kids. You can not get big time recruiting classes without taking the "star system" into account.

My guess is we'll have people reminding us that stars don't matter.

No doubt. Get a 2 star, stars dint matter. Reel in a 5 star, there will be 100 threads about it.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

No doubt. Get a 2 star, stars dint matter. Reel in a 5 star, there will be 100 threads about it.

Discussion about how much stars matter is reserved for boards that support teams that don't sign guys with a lot of stars.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

And another thing. McDonald isn't hard wired to spend his time meticulously searching for diamonds in the rough. He's going to spend his time at the best football schools talking to the best highschool football coaches that have the best players.

He won't get all of them but he's going to get more than we're used to.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'm enthused too, but don't get your expectations for 5-stars too high. There's only a few of them each year and they almost all go to the factories - what they can offer is just too much. Only exceptions I noticed on a quick scan of this years list is a kid from Mississippi going to Miss. State and another from Louisville staying home with the Cardinals. I'd say our only hope is the same - either a local kid, CNY transplant, or lifelong SU fan from somewhere.

Has this area ever produced a 5-star besides Paulus (local kid who ended up at SU btw)?
Frank Guifre of Canastota/CBA was a 5 star dreamteamer per Prepstars.

This coach has a sense of history and some connections.

George McDonald@CoachGMcDonald
@CoachHammock @jamesfranklinvu @GarrickMcGee @coachlocks thanks for paving the way #mentors #Feb1st

2/1/1960.
I also follow Vandy, who is getting their second top 25 class in row. When that begins to happen here, this board will not be able to, I don't know what. You get spoiled quick, begin to question whether a 3* guy with multiple D1 offers is worthy.

Vandy, IMO is one of those unique schools like Stanford. They will go up and down depending on the talent pool with the requisite academic qualifications. They really can't afford to miss on the guys that should have enough brains to go there. I pull for them because I still think academics matter.

I also follow Vandy, who is getting their second top 25 class in row. When that begins to happen here, this board will not be able to, I don't know what. You get spoiled quick, begin to question whether a 3* guy with multiple D1 offers is worthy.

But how will anyone know we have a top 25 class? Based on what? It will be interesting to see if some posters tout that (if it happens).

Wins and losses are the only ranking that matter. That said everyone will feel better in the off season if we are recruiting well and competing with other BCS programs for recruits. I like the under he radar guys as well, I think you will see a nice blend of both.

I think this is the best recruiting staff we have had in years... We shall see

Vandy's climb to recruiting excellence in such a short time period leaves me scratching my head a bit but good for them, I can only imagine what it takes to compete in the SEC

Vandy's climb to recruiting excellence in such a short time period leaves me scratching my head a bit but good for them, I can only imagine what it takes to compete in the SEC

Franklin

good coach, best conference, great academics.

I am always amazed how certain schools have great classes each and every year and not have it show up on the field. Just shows that these are kids and they may have raw talent but need good coaching to be skilled at their positions.

ND comes to mind until Kelly arrived. Franklin at Vandy doing a tremendous job and it will show even more this year.

ND comes to mind until Kelly arrived. Franklin at Vandy doing a tremendous job and it will show even more this year.

kind of funny how both of these teams seemed to have taken off since bringing in highly rated recruiting classes. it isn't a coincidence that the schools with the more highly rated players are usually the schools in the top 25. the star system matters, especially when considering 4 and 5 star kids. sure some regions, and smaller division schools can fall through the cracks, but people seem to be kidding themselves by saying the start system is irrelevant.

It is not a question of irrelevance but rather over emphasis. Coaches matter more than star ratings. The best coaches are able to spot talent and develop it into a team. How often have we seen it happen when a new coach comes in a wins with the other guys players? How do we explain a TCU and KSU - or SU 2012 for that matter.

Very few teams have top classes every year AND get top results.

The star system matters. I would like for us to always land 3 stars and up but what you really want to look at are two things. First kids that camp and are offered are in my opinion always solid regardless of stars. The coaches have a chance to see them up close and to also get a feel for them as people. Second what other offers does the kid have. Those two factors mean more to me than Stars.

kind of funny how both of these teams seemed to have taken off since bringing in highly rated recruiting classes. it isn't a coincidence that the schools with the more highly rated players are usually the schools in the top 25. the star system matters, especially when considering 4 and 5 star kids. sure some regions, and smaller division schools can fall through the cracks, but people seem to be kidding themselves by saying the start system is irrelevant.
Its funny I wished I had said that to Doug Marrone when he ripped the star system here in LA when visited prior to his first season. I though of this after the fact and I was pissed at myself for not saying "Coach the schools that bring in these high star players are the ones that are consistently top ten teams. I turns out that his thinking was the limits being self imposed on the program. I believe that stops with Scott's approach.:confused:

I see the same level of enthusiasm in this coaching staff as I see in the vandy staff. Much more than the Marrone staff. I know a lot of people have mixed feeling s about the star ranking, but I see the overall star ranking going up. Then, they just need to coach'em up