Hardwood Club Dinner Report | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hardwood Club Dinner Report

Great recap. Only thing missing was what the old Chinese woman was doing...

Wonderful recap. Thank you TC.

This is one of the reasons I love this board!

As always a true treat. Thank you Tom

Thanks for sharing. It means a lot to me to be able to feel apart of the night through your words. It's great to see one of my all time favorite players Josh Pace being mentioned and acknowledged. Thanks again

For the love of God, Tomcat, WHAT WAS THE BOB SURA INCIDENT???
Bob Sura was a high school All American basketball player who grew up in Wilkes Barre, PA, just a hop, a skip and a jump from Scranton, PA. He ended up attending Florida State, had a good career there, was drafted in the 1st round of the 1995 draft by the Cavs and ended up playing in the NBA for 11 years. He was the big name in basketball in NEPA when a certain Irish kid from Scranton was growing up and that kid idolized him, as much as say, TC idolized GMac growing up.

One day, Gerry ran into Sura and saw him face to face. Thrilled, he went up to Bob and asked him as politely as possible for an autograph. Sura rudely refused his request, embarrassing GMac and breaking his heart. It was the day the music died.

Gerry swore to himself on that day that if he ever became the star basketball player he dreaming of becoming, he would never turn down an autograph request (this expanded to picture requests as cell phones with cameras became ubiquitous in future years).

Everyone knows the story from that point: Gerry became the most celebrated HS basketball player in NEPA history, played a key role in getting SU an NC, became the most popular player in the history of the program...and he kept his promise. To this day, if someone asks him for an autograph or a picture, you can bet he will honor that request, and do so in the most positive and engaging way possible. It is one of those things that is at the core of his soul, and is surely one of the many reasons he is so beloved in CNY and beyond.

Thank you Tom, great story. It's funny how we sometimes learn important lessons from people how not to conduct ourselves in life. Good for GMac.

Reactions: cto
cuseguy said:
Wonder why the Post Standard never covers the Hardwood Dinner???

Because they'd have to do work and pay money to go...

I'm sure they will now though that Tom has posted his recap.

Bob Sura was a high school All American basketball player who grew up in Wilkes Barre, PA, just a hop, a skip and a jump from Scranton, PA. He ended up attending Florida State, had a good career there, was drafted in the 1st round of the 1995 draft by the Cavs and ended up playing in the NBA for 11 years. He was the big name in basketball in NEPA when a certain Irish kid from Scranton was growing up and that kid idolized him, as much as say, TC idolized GMac growing up.

One day, Gerry ran into Sura and saw him face to face. Thrilled, he went up to Bob and asked him as politely as possible for an autograph. Sura rudely refused his request, embarrassing GMac and breaking his heart. It was the day the music died.

Gerry swore to himself on that day that if he ever became the star basketball player he dreaming of becoming, he would never turn down an autograph request (this expanded to picture requests as cell phones with cameras became ubiquitous in future years).

Everyone knows the story from that point: Gerry became the most celebrated HS basketball player in NEPA history, played a key role in getting SU an NC, became the most popular player in the history of the program...and he kept his promise. To this day, if someone asks him for an autograph or a picture, you can bet he will honor that request, and do so in the most positive and engaging way possible. It is one of those things that is at the core of his soul, and is surely one of the many reasons he is so beloved in CNY and beyond.

Yes, I remember Bob Sura well but had never heard of this "formative" incident. What a pr - - - ding dong! Thank you for such a well-written story. In the future, if I ever run into Gerry I won't hesitate to chase him like a hound from hell until I can get a picture. <sigh> I love that guy.

so that's how Gerry let that creeper Deano get so close

I know this is considered childish per board rules, but F BOB SURA! Revenge was served cold by GMac as choruses of "Bob Sura WHO?!" Echo from the hills and valleys of NEPA.

Thank you for the amazing recap!

Great recap!!!! I wish I knew that was your table I would have said hi. I was at 81 with Cooney and Roberson sitting right behind me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom