has anyone done less with more than roy williams? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

has anyone done less with more than roy williams?

Nine games and the first he has had as a head coach versus a 20 year career as an elite head coach. Give the Hopkins tenure a frigging rest already.

are you serious?

he didn't call TO's. I can't talk about that? I literally said or referenced NOTHING else.

re frigging lax dude.

I think everyone was in awe that he didn't call a TO on the last possession. 20 seconds and 3 TO's left, why wouldn't you draw up a play? And they choked and didn't get have a decent opportunity to get off a decent shot, poor decision.

I actually laugh because he never ever uses his TO's. It's like he can't wait for the game to be over with. Maybe he gets nervous during games and has to take a poop.
If there's less than 10 seconds on the clock and things are helter skelter, then generally I'm in favor of Not calling a TO. However, it was not helter skelter and there was 20 seconds left. Of course you call a time out there. You have 2 left in case you have trouble in bounding the ball. He's an idiot.

I don't have sympathy for him re the latter. The charges are systemic academic fraud and he's been the coach for a decade now. He owns the problem.
Shucks

are you serious?

he didn't call TO's. I can't talk about that? I literally said or referenced NOTHING else.

re frigging lax dude.
Dude is a lady. And she has a point about yet another Hopkins discussion breaking out in this thread for no apparent reason.

Dude is a lady. And she has a point about yet another Hopkins discussion breaking out in this thread for no apparent reason.

no apparent reason? just read the post a little harder next time. no apparent reason?! it was a direct response. it wasnt out of thin air! no apparent reason!!! what?!

there literally is no chance you read my post. you must have only read her post which made it look like i was responding to "has anyone done less with more?" (because the post i quoted isnt included when someone else quotes me ) which i obviously wasnt. i was responding to something about a coach not calling TO's.

no apparent reason? just read the post a little harder next time. no apparent reason?! it was a direct response. it wasnt out of thin air! no apparent reason!!! what?!

there literally is no chance you read my post. you must have only read her post which made it look like i was responding to "has anyone done less with more?" - which i obviously wasnt. i was responding to something about a coach not calling TO's.
I did read your post that she responded to. This thread was about coaches who are perceived to underachieve relative to the talent they have to work with. Someone commented on Roy not making use of time outs, and you brought Hopkins into the conversation so you could take a gratuitous shot at him.

I did read your post that she responded to. This thread was about coaches who are perceived to underachieve relative to the talent they have to work with. Someone commented on Roy not making use of time outs, and you brought Hopkins into the conversation so you could take a gratuitous shot at him.

a gratuitous shot at him? my god - i have wanted him to be our next coach from day 1 and i still want him to be our next coach.

but he didnt call many to's. thats it. thats a fact. thats all i said.

and i still want him to be our coach. and i still love him.

maybe an overreaction? yep. it was.

a gratuitous shot at him? my god - i have wanted him to be our next coach from day 1 and i still want him to be our next coach.

It's all good. You are free to discuss Hop and how he used his time outs while he was standing in for JB. I just found it odd to see it turn up in this thread when there have been countless other threads discussing all things Hopkins.

He has 2 rings and a boatload of Final Fours. Takes a lot to win.

One of the years he won, he had 6 players who were all the top rated player at their position on the same team, plus 4 other top 25 recruits. His second unit would have been a final four team with any halfway decent coach. They could have put a mannequin in front of the bench and won the title that year.

One of the years he won, he had 6 players who were all the top rated player at their position on the same team, plus 4 other top 25 recruits. His second unit would have been a final four team with any halfway decent coach. They could have put a mannequin in front of the bench and won the title that year.

if your are talking 05 (with marvin, felton, mccants and may - who are the other 2 that were #1?) they for all intents and purposes lost to nova. The only people who disagree are UNC fans and the refs.

if your are talking 05 (with marvin, felton, mccants and may - who are the other 2 that were #1?) they for all intents and purposes lost to nova. The only people who disagree are UNC fans and the refs.
I was at that game if they don't call a travel that game at best goes to OT. That shot wouldn't have given the Nova the win as UNC was up 3.

I was at that game if they don't call a travel that game at best goes to OT. That shot wouldn't have given the Nova the win as UNC was up 3.

ah, you are right. thought it was 1 for some reason.

still a shame. nova was up big for the 1st 30ish min

this thread turned out awesome.

roy is a fraud. I think the one consensus we can all come to here is that any of us, dressed as a clown with a whistle, could have coached at least 2 of roy Williams rosters to a national title.

roy is a fraud. I think the one consensus we can all come to here is that any of us, dressed as a clown with a whistle, could have coached at least 2 of roy Williams rosters to a national title.

Tad over the top there

That's funny I was just thinking Guy Lewis. Living in Seattle I would also say Lorenzo Romar. He had a team with Nate Robinson and Brandon Roy and a bunch of really good college players that couldn't make it out of the sweet 16. He has had other teams that could be really good. I've watched them play before and wondered if they even scout opponents.
Ahh, Romar, my friend. I have always been a big supporter, but that ship has sailed. Went to the Zona game, and we held tough until the end. Last night's loss to California means they probably have to win the conference tourney now.

Ahh, Romar, my friend. I have always been a big supporter, but that ship has sailed. Went to the Zona game, and we held tough until the end. Last night's loss to California means they probably have to win the conference tourney now.

we?

You could say the same and more about Guy Lewis, who didn't win.

Final Fours and rings are what it's all about.

Well if you truly love Hop then perhaps you might forgive, and more importantly forget, the errors in judgment he made while temporary head coach.

Nope. I certainly couldn't. Never played the game other than in junior high and HS gym class, and briefly in a girls CYO league, in the mid 70s. I don't recall learning much if anything about the specifics of the game, which is why I still have trouble identifying what a pick and roll is, or why we get called for moving screens. I thank the members of this board for teaching me a lot, as well as the announcers of the games I watch.

Well if you truly love Hop then perhaps you might forgive, and more importantly forget, the errors in judgment he made while temporary head coach.
:bang:

To the OP... look no further than Boeheim for the answer. All the talent/recruits that the Dome gave Jimmy in the late 80's and not a single 1 seed, nor anything beyond 1 Final Four (Coleman, Owens, Douglas, Thompson, etc), way more losses than should've ever happened back then, and numerous early exits/upsets. Take away Melo, and he'd be the most overrated coach in hoops. There's a reason he's not mentioned as a top coach in the game.

Oh, and apparently when losing to Pitt, he completely throws Roberson under the bus. How about you blame your coaching and game strategy besides the same ole nonsense of finding a scapegoat. Pitt grossly outrebounded you in the first meeting, and yet you made zero adjustments. Dixon owns you in the Dome. OWNS. Maybe if you tried something different on defense, you wouldn't get outrebounded by 20 and give Pitt 2nd chance points. Maybe if you ran some resemblance of an offense besides 1-on-1, and strictly 3pt shooting... maybe if you utilized Lydon more in the offense, or developed the big men with a basic low-post game... maybe you'd see better results. All teams have players leave early for the NBA and still find ways to survive... can't make excuses if you're a top program.

You've got a rotation of 7 kids who are all 4-5* recruits. 2McD AA's. Primarily Top 80 players in their classes. And this is the best you do with the talent?

To the OP... look no further than Boeheim for the answer. All the talent/recruits that the Dome gave Jimmy in the late 80's and not a single 1 seed, nor anything beyond 1 Final Four (Coleman, Owens, Douglas, Thompson, etc), way more losses than should've ever happened back then, and numerous early exits/upsets. Take away Melo, and he'd be the most overrated coach in hoops.
There's a reason he's not mentioned as a top coach in the game.

Oh, and apparently when losing to Pitt, he completely throws Roberson under the bus. How about you blame your coaching and game strategy besides the same ole nonsense of finding a scapegoat. Pitt grossly outrebounded you in the first meeting, and yet you made zero adjustments. Dixon owns you in the Dome. OWNS. Maybe if you tried something different on defense, you wouldn't get outrebounded by 20 and give Pitt 2nd chance points. Maybe if you ran some resemblance of an offense besides 1-on-1, and strictly 3pt shooting... maybe if you utilized Lydon more in the offense, or developed the big men with a basic low-post game... maybe you'd see better results.
All teams have players leave early for the NBA and still find ways to survive... can't make excuses if you're a top program.

You've got a rotation of 7 kids who are all 4-5* recruits. 2McD AA's. Primarily Top 80 players in their classes. And this is the best you do with the talent?

WHA??? :confused:

He's in the HALL OF FAME.
Has coached on the US Olympic team multiple times.
Has appeared in 4 Final Fours, and won a NC.
He has now coached for FORTY YEARS. At the same school.

We got grossly outrebounded by Pitt because:
A - it's what they do
B - JB hasn't managed to recruit any great rebounders since the prior game. :p
C - Roberson - our best rebounder - apparently wasn't interested in playing hard yesterday.
He's been ineffective, at best, since the Duke game.

Pitt is a terrible matchup for us, because of how they play, vs. how we play.

When Pitt ever even gets to a Final Four, you can tell us how much better Dixon is overall, than JB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom