has anyone done less with more than roy williams? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

has anyone done less with more than roy williams?

WHA??? :confused:

He's in the HALL OF FAME.
Has coached on the US Olympic team multiple times.
Has appeared in 4 Final Fours, and won a NC.
He has now coached for FORTY YEARS. At the same school.

We got grossly outrebounded by Pitt because:
A - it's what they do
B - JB hasn't managed to recruit any great rebounders since the prior game. :p
C - Roberson - our best rebounder - apparently wasn't interested in playing hard yesterday.
He's been ineffective, at best, since the Duke game.

Pitt is a terrible matchup for us, because of how they play, vs. how we play.

When Pitt ever even gets to a Final Four, you can tell us how much better Dixon is overall, than JB.

Your post is a joke... Classic case of having blinders on.

He's in Hall of fame because he took a job at Syracuse whereby the carrier dome attracted all the top talent, whereby any coach off the street could've stayed as long as he has, and rack up wins. The kids came to play for the dome, and big east, and national tv... Not because of Boeheim. And he's reaped the benefits of all future players Since its inception... And still he manages to flame out in most years... 6 elite 8s in 4o years is elite coaching? With the talent he's been given all these years??? What a joke.

He's coached on the Olympic team cuz his buddy-buddy relationship with coach K... Who btw is a much better coach than jimmy. An Olympic, hall of fame coach would know when to change out zone or try different things, or make halftime adjustments at both ends of the court. Not just do the same thing every game. Tell me what game adjustments he makes? I'd love to hear...

Btw, Carmelo won the title, not jimmy. There's nothing jimmy did to coach that team to a title. It's like saying anyone who coaches Lebron James had an impact on how James plays or what he does on the court. I could coach Melo n get the same result.

40 years... so what? He's been a decent coach, but wouldn't have been playing in the Dome all these years?? What other school would ever want him as a coach? Tell me when he makes a top 10 lists of top coaches in the sport, or is even mentioned. He overachieved in 1996 (more or less got help with Drexel n Georgia giving him a relative "easy" walk to the elite 8).

And you make excuses why we got out rebounded... "It's what Pitt does"???? Gimme a break. It's what they do cuz jimmy doesn't switch up defense or try anything else to be able to box out. How many games does Pitt routinely out rebound opponents by 20? Go find em. Or maybe other teams realize how to counter Pitts rebounding. And if I were Roberson, after jimmys remarks, I'd tell him to F off, and either transfer or not bother to play for this clown of a coach. Show me other coaches who completely trash their players like that.

Pitt being a terrible matchup is more excuses. Basically, you're saying we just expect to lose to em, so no big deal. Dixon being 7-2 in the dome is perfectly fine. There's nothing we can do to win. Lol. How bout you adjust your game plan to Pitt instead of doing the same thing every game!

I don't care about Pitt goin to a final 4. Compare Pitt talent n recruits to jimmy so over the years. Jimmy vastly has the better recruits on paper. Dixon owns Boeheim. Period. And Boeheim just places blame on anyone but himself. He's a complete a-hole with local media most days. The game has long since passed him by. I fully believe that the bigs just sleep through any practices because clearly your HoF Boeheim hasn't developed them since they first arrived on campus as freshmen. Otherwise we would have a basic inside game.

This is going to be good. :eat popcorn:

The funny thing is there are legitimate points in there.

He's in Hall of fame because he took a job at Syracuse whereby the carrier dome attracted all the top talent, whereby any coach off the street could've stayed as long as he has, and rack up wins. The kids came to play for the dome, and big east, and national tv... Not because of Boeheim. And he's reaped the benefits of all future players Since its inception... And still he manages to flame out in most years... 6 elite 8s in 4o years is elite coaching? With the talent he's been given all these years??? What a joke.

He's coached on the Olympic team cuz his buddy-buddy relationship with coach K... Who btw is a much better coach than jimmy. An Olympic, hall of fame coach would know when to change out zone or try different things, or make halftime adjustments at both ends of the court. Not just do the same thing every game. Tell me what game adjustments he makes? I'd love to hear...

Btw, Carmelo won the title, not jimmy. There's nothing jimmy did to coach that team to a title. It's like saying anyone who coaches Lebron James had an impact on how James plays or what he does on the court. I could coach Melo n get the same result.

40 years... so what? He's been a decent coach, but wouldn't have been playing in the Dome all these years?? What other school would ever want him as a coach? Tell me when he makes a top 10 lists of top coaches in the sport, or is even mentioned. He overachieved in 1996 (more or less got help with Drexel n Georgia giving him a relative "easy" walk to the elite 8).

And you make excuses why we got out rebounded... "It's what Pitt does"???? Gimme a break. It's what they do cuz jimmy doesn't switch up defense or try anything else to be able to box out. How many games does Pitt routinely out rebound opponents by 20? Go find em. Or maybe other teams realize how to counter Pitts rebounding. And if I were Roberson, after jimmys remarks, I'd tell him to F off, and either transfer or not bother to play for this clown of a coach. Show me other coaches who completely trash their players like that.

Pitt being a terrible matchup is more excuses. Basically, you're saying we just expect to lose to em, so no big deal. Dixon being 7-2 in the dome is perfectly fine. There's nothing we can do to win. Lol. How bout you adjust your game plan to Pitt instead of doing the same thing every game!

I don't care about Pitt goin to a final 4. Compare Pitt talent n recruits to jimmy so over the years. Jimmy vastly has the better recruits on paper. Dixon owns Boeheim. Period. And Boeheim just places blame on anyone but himself. He's a complete a-hole with local media most days. The game has long since passed him by. I fully believe that the bigs just sleep through any practices because clearly your HoF Boeheim hasn't developed them since they first arrived on campus as freshmen. Otherwise we would have a basic inside game.

HOT DAMN. I burned my finger hitting the "reply" button! So HOTTTT.

Syracuse.com comments section level posting^^^^^

WHA??? :confused:

He's in the HALL OF FAME.
Has coached on the US Olympic team multiple times.
Has appeared in 4 Final Fours, and won a NC.
He has now coached for FORTY YEARS. At the same school.

We got grossly outrebounded by Pitt because:
A - it's what they do
B - JB hasn't managed to recruit any great rebounders since the prior game. :p
C - Roberson - our best rebounder - apparently wasn't interested in playing hard yesterday.
He's been ineffective, at best, since the Duke game.

Pitt is a terrible matchup for us, because of how they play, vs. how we play.

When Pitt ever even gets to a Final Four, you can tell us how much better Dixon is overall, than JB.
The only thing you left off is the 900+ wins, F the NCAA's revisionist history. Second all time.

He can't recruit.

He can't win with the first rate talent he has to work with.

Pick one of the above, not both.

To the OP... look no further than Boeheim for the answer. All the talent/recruits that the Dome gave Jimmy in the late 80's and not a single 1 seed, nor anything beyond 1 Final Four (Coleman, Owens, Douglas, Thompson, etc), way more losses than should've ever happened back then, and numerous early exits/upsets. Take away Melo, and he'd be the most overrated coach in hoops. There's a reason he's not mentioned as a top coach in the game.

Oh, and apparently when losing to Pitt, he completely throws Roberson under the bus. How about you blame your coaching and game strategy besides the same ole nonsense of finding a scapegoat. Pitt grossly outrebounded you in the first meeting, and yet you made zero adjustments. Dixon owns you in the Dome. OWNS. Maybe if you tried something different on defense, you wouldn't get outrebounded by 20 and give Pitt 2nd chance points. Maybe if you ran some resemblance of an offense besides 1-on-1, and strictly 3pt shooting... maybe if you utilized Lydon more in the offense, or developed the big men with a basic low-post game... maybe you'd see better results. All teams have players leave early for the NBA and still find ways to survive... can't make excuses if you're a top program.

You've got a rotation of 7 kids who are all 4-5* recruits. 2McD AA's. Primarily Top 80 players in their classes. And this is the best you do with the talent?
I'm disappointed that this post didn't generate more discussion. I can't deny there are valid observations here. In light of all the "we don't match up with Pitt" stuff, one should question the same-old approach ( 40 minutes of 2-3 zone)

That final play was just way too easy for Nova ... how could Archie get the ball that easily and then be able to turn around before any pressure comes. And then no balance to pick up the trailer on a great shooting team.

upload_2016-4-4_23-56-11.png

This is a very mean thread. Whoever told you to post this, is a very mean person.

Bayside44 said:
Roy looks like he's aged 15 years in 10 minutes.

I thought the same thing. He looked bad in that presser.

That final play was just way too easy for Nova ... how could Archie get the ball that easily and then be able to turn around before any pressure comes. And then no balance to pick up the trailer on a great shooting team.

I saw Duke steal a few wins from him in Chapel Hill these past few years. I think his greatest skill is wearing a UNC jacket when he goes recruiting. I know it's not an easy thing to do in that situation, but he's been doing this for a long time, and in a way it's disappointing to watch him fumble in those big moments.

I saw Duke steal a few wins from him in Chapel Hill these past few years. I think his greatest skill is wearing a UNC jacket when he goes recruiting. I know it's not an easy thing to do in that situation, but he's been doing this for a long time, and in a way it's disappointing to watch him fumble in those big moments.

I was a defender of him for years, now I am starting to come to the conclusion that he just isn't a very good game coach.

I was a defender of him for years, now I am starting to come to the conclusion that he just isn't a very good game coach.

He just lost in the national championship. What the hell?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom