Has the Redshirt rule changed? | Syracusefan.com

Has the Redshirt rule changed?

Ragman2000

Pee-Trough Advocate
A while back, the NCAA rule was changed that a player that played in exhibition games was said to have "played" and could not redshirt that particular year.

When did the rule revert back? Just curious, because I assumed Cooney would not be able to redshirt since he played in the exhibitions.

The player loses red shirt eligibility only if he plays in a regular season game ... forgot which rule that was.

The player loses red shirt eligibility only if he plays in a regular season game ... forgot which rule that was.

Well, Freshmen only are permitted to play exhibitions and still redshirt. This is explained in the Tim Abromaitis story here. So TC will be able to redshirt by rule.

I thought they could play a certain amount of minutes and still redshirt.

I thought they could play a certain amount of minutes and still redshirt.

Rossco is right. There are two kinds of redshirts, medical and general. General is so players can do stuff like build muscle, learn the playbook in football, study, whatever... For a medical RS they can play 30% of the time and still be eligible for a redshirt. Also, they could get two redshirts, say Trevor got one this year and was injured next year and didn't play in more than 30% of the games, he could be a 6th year senior.

Rossco is right. There are two kinds of redshirts, medical and general. General is so players can do stuff like build muscle, learn the playbook in football, study, whatever... For a medical RS they can play 30% of the time and still be eligible for a redshirt. Also, they could get two redshirts, say Trevor got one this year and was injured next year and didn't play in more than 30% of the games, he could be a 6th year senior.

I thought that you only got one redshirt, and that if you used it for non-medical purposes you were screwed. You could only get a 6th year if you were hurt twice.

One other note on red shirting, say SU had a rash of injuries JB could play Trevor even though the announcement was made that he would redshirt.

I thought that you only got one redshirt, and that if you used it for non-medical purposes you were screwed. You could only get a 6th year if you were hurt twice.
I think you're right. You'll only get the sixth year if it can be proven that an injury caused the first redshirt. I think they find creative ways to do that sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom