Hate to be a wet blanket but there are going to be 5-8 NFL jobs open | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hate to be a wet blanket but there are going to be 5-8 NFL jobs open

i would also give the job to shafer this late in the game

i would also give the job to shafer this late in the game

Oh my gosh, people. Every time someone brings up a thread like this, and every time someone jumps on the bandwagon about it, it calls into question Marrone's character. This wasn't Marrone's dream job? He stated specifically that ever since he left Syracuse as a player, that every thought and decsion he made was based on being the head coach at Syracuse. He thought deeply about how to make Syracuse successful BEFORE HE EVEN CAME HERE!

So if you say he is thinking about leaving now, you are calling him a phony and a liar. I understand how some of you could believe this because I'm sure some of you would say one thing and take the bait and run at the next opportunity, so this is hard to understand for you. He would leave for the NFL? The NFL was looking at him BEFORE HE CAME TO SYRACUSE! He would leave for more money? If he's not currently, at this very moment, making a competitive salary, he will be soon. Syracuse will be bringing in $19 per year in TV money alone soon enough. He would leave for more prestige? You start going to BCS bowl games year in and out (and believe Syracuse is closer now than it ever has been) you'll have all the prestige you could ever want.

Maybe I missed this somewhere. Was the New York Jets his Alma Mater? Or was it Syracuse, as Doug would say, that transformed him into the man he would become. But, oh yeah, that's right, it's all bull****, because that's what people do, just lie. Like when Marrone said the greatest moment of his career was just being able to give back to New York City kids. This guy's gonna bolt!! Watch out!! Why? Because some of you would "go to greener pastures" if given the opportunity. Bottom line, I think these topics and threads speak more about some of our character than Doug's.

My guess is he's in the league before the end of his next contract.

NFL head coaching jobs pay a lot more money and comes along with a lot of prestige.

quote]

And a lot less job security. What is the average shelf life of an NFL coach? Even the top coaches rarely stay in one place long. At a place like SU, even Grob got 4 seasons. I can't see Marrone ever getting fired here unless he turns into G-rob.

I was listing to the WFAN this morning. Mike Francesa mentioned three names that were getting interest from NFL teams. Lot's of interest in Tom O'brien with teams (like the Browns) willing to buy out his contract (9 million). The other two names were Chip Kelly and our very own Doug Marrone.

I was listing to the WFAN this morning. Mike Francesa mentioned three names that were getting interest from NFL teams. Lot's of interest in Tom O'brien with teams (like the Browns) willing to buy out his contract (9 million). The other two names were Chip Kelly and our very own Doug Marrone.

Tom O'Brien has officially pulled out of the Brown search ... :)

I never said Marrone was going to be here forever. I said he needs to bring the program another step or two forward before he leaves. Right now he is very happy where he is. That does not say he will be here forever. But I don't think he is ready to leave this program yet. And money is not the reason. Eventually he may leave, I just don't see it now.

My guess is he's in the league before the end of his next contract.

And he would be let go before the following SU contract would expire. The guy idolizes Mac and I feel pretty confident in saying looking back Mac regrets his move to the NFL. At the time, he thought it was the right move. But there is a short shelf life in professional football. The days of Tom Landry, Chuck Noll and even John Madden are long gone. Marrone can basically call his own shots in the place he's always wanted to coach for the rest of his life he would like.

Will people come sniffing around? Absolutely. Will some money be thrown his way? No doubt. But he is so close to the lifetime annuity he has wanted for a long time; I really don't see him making this jump unless an owner like Dan Snyder was on crack and offered just stupid money. Kelly or Saban might get that; not Marrone.

Doug was looked at when he was with NO. He actually said no thanks then. He only wanted the Syracuse job. That was his dream job. Who ever above used JB and Frank Beamer as examples can add Doug Marrone to that list. He came to Syracuse to bring our program back to prominence. While he has taken a giant step in that direction, in no way is he satisfied yet with what he has accomplished. He is not leaving Syracuse on the brink of greatness. He is taking us another step or two in the right direction, and will not leave the program until he thinks it is stable and can withstand change. I understand that he and his family is very happy in Syracuse. Doug is not your average coach. I don't think it is just about the money. I think he is very comfortable where he is, and he and his family are very comfortable in Syracuse at the moment. Most of this is based on what I learned when he was hired, but I see it in his character over and over. He bleeds Orange, and will bleed Orange a little longer. I also think he relishes his opportunity to shape young men's lives which college football provides him that opportunity much more than the NFL will.

I agree with your assessment of Coach Marrone. I really hope that you are right.

Coach Marrone has really done an impressive job of changing the culture of SU Football from where it was in 2008.

After four years he has probably "turned the corner" and brought us back to respectability at the BCS level. There is still work to be done and we will certainly experience some challenges in our first few years in a new conference.

I think that we will see good things in the years to come from Syracuse Football and Head Coach Marrone.
2012_12_29_158801419.jpg

Incapable of believing good things can happen to SU football. It's a disease bred in the Salt Lake City.

I don't put too much faith in the "dream job" statements that football coaches make. Part of the job is to make people think you are into 100% because it helps with many things, like recruiting, attendance, the idea of stability, etc. There have been plenty of examples of coaches saying "XXX is my dream job" then they leave to greener pastures. Though, I don't know Marrone personally so I cannot say whether he is speaking the truth or saying what people want him to hear.

One thing that makes me think he will be around for a while revolves around the legend of his binder of names he brought to his interview for recruiting. If his plan was to stay in NFL, or to make a move there this quickly, there would be little need to even keep contacts with high schools. My guess is he kept lists of contacts with HS's because he genuinely wanted to keep contact to help with long-term recruiting.

And he would be let go before the following SU contract would expire. The guy idolizes Mac and I feel pretty confident in saying looking back Mac regrets his move to the NFL. At the time, he thought it was the right move. But there is a short shelf life in professional football. The days of Tom Landry, Chuck Noll and even John Madden are long gone. Marrone can basically call his own shots in the place he's always wanted to coach for the rest of his life he would like.

Will people come sniffing around? Absolutely. Will some money be thrown his way? No doubt. But he is so close to the lifetime annuity he has wanted for a long time; I really don't see him making this jump unless an owner like Dan Snyder was on crack and offered just stupid money. Kelly or Saban might get that; not Marrone.

Great post. I agree with your assessment on Coach Maronne's values and perspectives. I hope that you are right.

2012_12_29_158801475.jpg

I would feel a lot better in him staying if I hadn't read the post (by DaveR52, maybe?) who said based on things he had heard, he wouldn't blame Doug for leaving. Have no idea what it was, but it didn't sound good....
""Hate mail" is only the tip of the iceberg. Knowing what I know, I will NEVER hold him to the words he spoke more than four years ago when he took the job should he ever decide to leave."

You're talking an 8 figure NFL contract...given the right opportunity he should take that and set up his family for life.

Very few JB's out there. Actually, only 1 JB out there.

The other thing bait the nfl is that you don't have to win back fans. They just are always there. Unless fan support and a packed dome becomes a regular thing, with more donations coming for upgraded facilities, it may make sense to move on. In the nfl you just have to coach. Don't have to worry about donations, facilities, fan support, recruiting, etc. hope he really loves this place and stays.