Hate to be a wet blanket but there are going to be 5-8 NFL jobs open | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hate to be a wet blanket but there are going to be 5-8 NFL jobs open

i would also give the job to shafer this late in the game

You don't want to do that. You'd be replacing him again in a couple of years.

He's going back to the MW.

44cuse

You don't want to do that. You'd be replacing him again in a couple of years.

He's going back to the MW.

44cuse
Im pretty sure that Shaffer would jump all over a 5 year deal. Who knows by that time we could be replacing Shaffer with Hack now wouldnt that be something! I would have to eat a flock of crows!

Jumping to the NFL would be a pretty remarkable accomplishment for a coach with a .500 record. If he's really in play his stock must be very high. If he wants it at all and has the opportunity he should absolutely go.

Consider our ability to hire now vs when Marrone came in. Program is stronger and has a much better image. Talent on the roster is deeper. Facilities are better. Conference is better. $$$ are better. If Marrone considers his job to be done here I'm hard pressed to disagree. He's leaving everything in better shape than he found it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Jumping to the NFL would be a pretty remarkable accomplishment for a coach with a .500 record. If he's really in play his stock must be very high. If he wants it at all and has the opportunity he should absolutely go.

Consider our ability to hire now vs when Marrone came in. Program is stronger and has a much better image. Talent on the roster is deeper. Facilities are better. Conference is better. $$$ are better. If Marrone considers his job to be done here I'm hard pressed to disagree. He's leaving everything in better shape than he found it.

The job's not done yet.

Greg Schiano was 68-67 at Rutgers...got an NFL job

He also landed that gig after Bill Belichick told the Bucs brass that he would be a good hire.

He also landed that gig after Bill Belichick told the Bucs brass that he would be a good hire.
So if someone asked Sean Payton about DM Payton would not give a good word?

The job's not done yet.
Yeah. You're right. Silly me making a statement like "if Marrone considers the job done" before checking if the job is done with the board sages.

I want Doug & Co. to stay here for the longterm. But this is the cost of building a winning program. There are very few Frank Beamers and Jim Boeheims left in this world.

If you want a coach to stay longterm, pray for sustained mediocrity. Not good enough to be called up yet not bad enough to replace...ala Coach P.

We haven't had "sustained mediocrity" under JB. If we had that with Marrone, he wouldn't be here long term.

Im pretty sure that Shaffer would jump all over a 5 year deal. Who knows by that time we could be replacing Shaffer with Hack now wouldnt that be something! I would have to eat a flock of crows!

I just don't think it's going to happen. The majority of his contacts are in the MW and apparently his designs have always been to get back there.

44cuse

Doug was looked at when he was with NO. He actually said no thanks then. He only wanted the Syracuse job. That was his dream job. Who ever above used JB and Frank Beamer as examples can add Doug Marrone to that list. He came to Syracuse to bring our program back to prominence. While he has taken a giant step in that direction, in no way is he satisfied yet with what he has accomplished. He is not leaving Syracuse on the brink of greatness. He is taking us another step or two in the right direction, and will not leave the program until he thinks it is stable and can withstand change. I understand that he and his family is very happy in Syracuse. Doug is not your average coach. I don't think it is just about the money. I think he is very comfortable where he is, and he and his family are very comfortable in Syracuse at the moment. Most of this is based on what I learned when he was hired, but I see it in his character over and over. He bleeds Orange, and will bleed Orange a little longer. I also think he relishes his opportunity to shape young men's lives which college football provides him that opportunity much more than the NFL will.

I agree with this. I think that he believes he's just getting started. I also imagine that he'd really like to play against the ACC teams. Lots of big names coming up on our schedule these next few years.

Saw HCDM today at the Dome, he sat about 10 rows in front of me. TGD was chatting him up for a while. Just behind HCDM was the Michael Jordan of men's lax. Quite a few people were getting pics with him and shaking his hand. Mr. Excitement introduced him to the crowd and he got a nice ovation.

Marrone is not going anywhere. Kill the noise!!!!!

1. Lay off the exclamation points
2. You have no idea if he is or isn't 2 days after our bowl victory and 7 NFL jobs opened up.

1. Lay off the exclamation points
2. You have no idea if he is or isn't 2 days after our bowl victory and 7 NFL jobs opened up.

It's crazy to go off the deep end when all you have is speculation.

It's crazy to go off the deep end when all you have is speculation.

Who is going off the deep end? He's being talked about on the NFL Network (by Charlie Casserly), he's being written about, and he's being tweeted about. He's being discussed. Certainly fair game to discuss on a Syracuse message board, don't ya think?

For the record, I don't think he's going anywhere this year, but I'm not going to be floored if he does either.

He's interviewing with Buffalo & Cleveland and has recieved endorsements from the Big Tuna & Sean Payton.

He's interviewing with Buffalo & Cleveland and has recieved endorsements from the Big Tuna & Sean Payton.

Doug Marrone is interviewing with Buffalo and Cleveland? Not just being mentioned?

Doug Marrone is interviewing with Buffalo and Cleveland? Not just being mentioned?

You don't read the board?