Hate to be negative but | Syracusefan.com

Hate to be negative but

storange

2023 Cali Award Rushing Touchdowns
Having despised the ACC for so long , Am I the only one that is going to have to find the nearest garbage disposal and hurl my guts out the first time I see the ACC logo staining my beloved Dome field.

Yes. It makes me sick.

I am still ecstatic. Which would be worse? Seeing the ACC logo, or not seeing the BCS one?

Having despised the ACC for so long , Am I the only one that is going to have to find the nearest garbage disposal and hurl my guts out the first time I see the ACC logo staining my beloved Dome field.

I always feel better after I hurl

If I were the BE leftovers, I'd join the Big XII (not the other way around). I'm not convinced Dan Beebe is as dumb as people like to say; he has been handcuffed by Texas. Marinatto is just clueless. And if I were a leftover, I'd want to get the Hell away from the Catholic schools.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to never see a BE logo on a football field again.

For me, the most "negative" thing about this is the "stealth" way in which it was handled. If the reports are true, we didn't even bother to notify the commissioner's office even after we had applied.

If true, that is worse than anything BC did back in 2003.

Cheers,
Neil

Last time around, when the process was transparent, we were screwed, and we looked like a jilted bride publicly. SU had every logical right to make sure it was a done deal before letting any of this get out.

I wonder what Coach Boeheim's reaction will be the first time he stands at the free throw line staring at that logo...

Unfortunately, this is a biz decision, and happens like this all the time when $$$ drives the deal. Considering the alternatives, this is the best possible option. We'll all get used to it, continue to exist as a viable BCS program, and make all necessary adjustments. Hell, the BE BB rivaleries won't go way, there's big bucks involved here, too. So we'll see GT and Nova as regular non-conf opponents, I'm sure. Do I like the Tobacco Road powers to be running the show? No, but we'll get used to it, just like we had to cope with Providence's buggling, BB favortism and expansion indecisions.

Cheers,
Neil

Not announcing your intentions is WORSE than reassuring your conference mates you are NOT leaving while secretly planning your exit?

For me, the most "negative" thing about this is the "stealth" way in which it was handled. If the reports are true, we didn't even bother to notify the commissioner's office even after we had applied.

Cheers,
Neil

Didn't I read someplace that the BE doesn't require you to notify the Commissioner's office when you have contact with another conference?

Would it have made a difference?

It's the best available fit and waiting is not a strategy. Maybe that enmity we feel toward almost all things ACC will lead to some rivalries.

BC by all accounts made it clear they were not on board with the 8-8 model and as early as September 21st of 2003 there were reports of them contacting the ACC if there was still interest in them being #12.

When the commissioner got the phone call about three weeks later, he was not in least bit surprised. Accounts from most everyone so far indicate this was all done in the past 48 hours taking everyone by surprise.

Sorry if you are upset that I'm not seeing this through orange-colored glasses on this particular point.

Cheers,
Neil

It beats playing on a field with a "Big East" logo as we take on scintillating conference foes like Baylor, Iowa State, Houston, East Carolina and Villanova. Because make no mistake, that is EXACTLY what we were heading for.

It beats playing on a field with a "Big East" logo as we take on scintillating conference foes like Baylor, Iowa State, Houston, East Carolina and Villanova. Because make no mistake, that is EXACTLY what we were heading for.

Which is why the Kaiser was correct (paraphrasing of course) in that anyone who thinks this was a bad move by SU needs to rethink it. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

Cheers,
Neil
If you go public you risk screwing this up. It was handled exceptionally well by TGD!

I don't mind the prospects of becoming an ACC fan as much as I thought I would. The Big East is thirty years old... it encompassed my entire life, let alone my life as a college sports fan... but in the big picture, it isn't like we are talking about a century-worth of tradition here. In that time teams have come and gone, with only a handful of teams actually comprising of all that history. The Big East will always hold a place in my heart, but ten years from now the move won't be much more than an afterthought.

-Financially and brand-wise, we will see a jump in our visibility. Helping recruiting in both sports.
-Fan-wise, this is the shot in the arm we need to get fans back to the Dome on a consistent basis.
-Fooball-wise, we have always been a team that played to the level of competition, and we will adjust to getting back to playing the VT, Miami, and FSUs of the world. I believe we could compete against those teams just based on the strides Marrone has made with this club, throw in the boost in recruiting we should see, and it won't be long before we are a conference leader.
-Basketball-wise, I think the intrigue and history of the teams we will be seeing in the Dome could lead to some of the best crowds we have ever had over the coarse of a season. I also think that the ACC is perfect for us. We are a wide-open enough team to succeed against their style, but bring that Big East toughness that should make us very hard to beat. By the time we make the move, Jimmy will be toward the end of the line, but if that wasn't the case I would bet you that his NCAA tourney winning percentage would go up once playing in the new conference. The physicality of the Big East leaves a lot of our good teams beaten to a pulp by the end of the year. That, and our teams always struggle to make the transition to the decreased tolerance for contact that tourney refs display. As good as our team is, we seem to be a little stagnant, and I think these changes could breathe some fresh air into the program.

I hope we win all of our BE home games with the student section chanting ACC at the end.

Mostly that's because I hope we win all of our home BE games. That WVU passing game against our pass defense looks like something that will force us to cover our eyes.

Sorry if you are upset that I'm not seeing this through orange-colored glasses on this particular point.

Cheers,
Neil

Who said I was upset? Just looking for clarification. You're account of BC leaving seems to have been written from a distinctly BC perspective. While your account of SU leaving seems to be distinctly from everyone's perspective BUT Syracuse's. I just find that strange.

I'm wondering why you feel SU owed the BE a notification and why you think that would have been in the best interest of SU.

Who said I was upset? Just looking for clarification. You're account of BC leaving seems to have been written from a distinctly BC perspective. While your account of SU leaving seems to be distinctly from everyone's perspective BUT Syracuse's. I just find that strange.

I'm wondering why you feel SU owed the BE a notification and why you think that would have been in the best interest of SU.

It's common courtesy especially if one has been a business partner for 30+ years.

How would we be acting if the Big East conference leadership held a secret meeting with all the rest of the institutions, voted us out of the conference and then didn't tell us?

This board would be going ballistic right now.

Cheers,
Neil

Out of all of the scenarios that were possible, the move to the ACC was the best fit for SU.

1) Move to the ACC and stay in a strong basketball conference, while securing a stable football conference with the strongest exposure to our core base along the eastern seaboard. We get to play schools of similar size, academic profile. Good mix of state and private schools.

2) Pray a B1G invite comes. Sure it would have been a very stable, rich league to be in. But we would have been a small fish in a big pond. Only 1 other private school. The thought of being in a Midwestern conference sickens me. B1G basketball is boring.

3) Close our eyes and pray the BE somehow remained together. A mixed bag of old CUSA teams, BE football schools and catholic basketball schools...and now throw in a private Texas school.

4) Get stuck in the remnants of the BE and a forced marriage of survival with discards from the B12. The thought of playing Iowa State, K-State, Baylor, Cincy, USF every year...YUCK!!!

Cheers,
Neil
From my understanding at least 10 schools have applied for ACC membership in recent weeks. How many other BE teams may be included in that mix? Stealth? Maybe, but a necessary way of doing business in college sports these days. The BE, as well as very fluid outside influences, such as the aTm situation, created this stability issue. The BE was inempt in responding and was never procative. SU and Pitt realized this and had to take strategic survival measures. I give Gross 2 thumbs up on this one.

there he is!! captain bigmidwest!! :bang:

Syracuse has basically been threatening (trying) to leave the big east ever since penn st was boned. they brought in pitt to keep bc and SU happy. then they brought in miami. then they brought in the rest of the footballs...and then they all started leaving.

so therefore:
SU very publically tried to leave 8 years ago.

didnt work. :(

so SU very quietly, tried to leave this summer.

worked.:cool:

and if 10 teams applied to the ACC in recent months and YOUR SCHOOL is NOT one of them...im talking to all thats lefft in the bmw...then youve been outsmarted by the likes of memphis, ecu, cfu, fla atl and other power programs and leading minds who dont want to be left holding the bag...

:rolling:

It's common courtesy especially if one has been a business partner for 30+ years.

How would we be acting if the Big East conference leadership held a secret meeting with all the rest of the institutions, voted us out of the conference and then didn't tell us?

This board would be going ballistic right now.

Cheers,
Neil

Who exactly is it that deserves so much courtesy that there becomes a 50/50 chance the school's athletic department is plunged into an abyss? Let's take a look here... of the teams who were Big East clubs within two years of it's conception, Providence, Georgetown, St. Johns, Seton Hall, and Villanova all failed to make the necessary decisions to adapt to a landscape that was shifting heavily towards football. Of the four teams that did make football a priority, one has already left for the ACC, and two are now packing their bags. Nobody else has enough Big East history on their side to make much of a claim to betrayal. I kind of feel bad for UConn, as they are the only one with original Big East roots that may be left in the cold, and I feel bad for West Virginia because IMO they put a great product on the field and court and fit in well with the conference. But as far as the situation as a whole, I don't really feel bad about any of this. Especially since West Virginia will be fine and UConn might still end up in the ACC before everything finishes shaking out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom