Hats off to the defense | Syracusefan.com

Hats off to the defense

GoSU96

Living Legend
without their two best players, give up 305 yds and 19 points on NINETY FIVE PLAYS !!!! That is nuts. I know it's Rutgers playing their 4th true freshman QB and a total of 8 different QB in 3yrs, but still, that should win you the game.

5 sacks, 6 other TFL's, 5 hurries, 5 yds rushing on 38 attempts.

Scott, Leon, Anderson all did a very good job defending those go routes in man.

The LB's played very well today. The DT's were excellent against the run.

Love the fact that there is a constant rotation of the on the DL and LB.

Still a lot of work to be done. Have to do a better job of getting off the field, they had an opportunity to essentially win the game with a 4th and long stop on the TD drive. Bad penalties extending possessions.

without their two best players, give up 305 yds and 19 points on NINETY FIVE PLAYS !!!! That is nuts. I know it's Rutgers playing their 4th true freshman QB and a total of 8 different QB in 3yrs, but still, that should win you the game.

Still a lot of work to be done. Have to do a better job of getting off the field, they had an opportunity to essentially win the game with a 4th and long stop on the TD drive. Bad penalties extending possessions.
and yet some people on the board are blaming defensive players for not scoring MORE

and yet some people on the board are blaming defensive players for not scoring MORE

P Thomas did drop a no brainer, I could have run int the endzone had he caught it, even with his mummy legs

Good post -- hats off to the defense.
It is even better than that, though. They held Rutgers to 13 points in normal game time. Should have won the game, with any support from the offense. In OT, they held Rutgers to two FGs, and put the team in a position to win. Davis, Lynch, even Amene had good games as did Marinovich.

The starting Rutgers QB missed a lot of open receivers, so that was a help. But Rutgers has a lot of size and talent on offense, and yet the SU defense held them in check. Gives us some hope for the season.

I think the point is that in a game where you are stuggling on offense dropping a guranteed TD is not a good thing. SU just wanted to make one more play on any of 10 opportunities at a minimum and they win. That's just one.

Instead of call the slant on 1st and 4, take three knees and kick a FG and it's game over. Better snap on the FG that was line drived and it's game over. Pooch punt instead of going for a 44 yd FG and it's probably game over. Take the ball at the 50 instead of going for a punt block and who knows. Get a little more air under the missed deep ball to Chew and it's game over.

Good post -- hats off to the defense.
It is even better than that, though. They held Rutgers to 13 points in normal game time. Should have won the game, with any support from the offense. In OT, they held Rutgers to two FGs, and put the team in a position to win. Davis, Lynch, even Amene had good games as did Marinovich.

The starting Rutgers QB missed a lot of open receivers, so that was a help. But Rutgers has a lot of size and talent on offense, and yet the SU defense held them in check. Gives us some hope for the season.

This defense is playing a bunch of 1st and 2nd year players that are rail thin. But they can run, they aren't afraid to hit, and they are tough.

I've tried not to talk about this game. I had to go take a nap to keep from walking around snapping at everybody for any little thing. I say this often...and i am going to say it again...I am tired of being lied to about the "offense" that is almost here, or, "it's close" or "next year we'll be able to..." by three coaches now and several coordinator's. It always seems to be "defense save us", "defense get us in good field position", "defense get us a turnover", "defense we need the ball 10x to mount 1 long drive that takes time off the clock (forget about scoring)", "defense we know your exhausted but suck it up we know you can do it" and on and on it goes. It doesn't matter if our defense is young, inexperienced, weak, whatever. I drank the kool-aid and actually thought this was the year an inexperienced D would be helped by a more offensive team. The defense played a game that came outta i don't know where given there circumstances. The funny thing is there were a few more drops that would have resulted in scoring opportunities either td's or at least easy field goals. I am so proud of their effort and grit yesterday. I can only blame them for one thing...they didn't deliver the game wrapped up in a bow for us. They quite possibly could have.

I'll agree that the D remains a bright spot but stop the bone head penalties. They are killing us when combined with an O that can't seem to get out of it's own way.

The defense was simply outstanding knowing that 2 of our probably 3 best D players were out. Davis is going to be a stud. I love Spruill but I think Davis might have a higher ceiling. It wasn't just that first hit either, he had several great plays. Lyn might become our next great DB. Kid did a great job on Sanu which caused Rutgers to use Sanu in motion a lot to get away from Lyn's one on one coverage. And the other DB's did a great job downfield and where it eems we never turn our heads to look for the ball, they all seemed to time their turns just right yesterday.

And to think most of us were worried about the D yesterday and fell confident the O would put up 30+. With all the self inflicted mistakes on offense, the play of the defense shows that we are fr better than rutgers. That wasn't 2 evenly matched teams out there yesterday.

The defense was simply outstanding knowing that 2 of our probably 3 best D players were out. Davis is going to be a stud. I love Spruill but I think Davis might have a higher ceiling. It wasn't just that first hit either, he had several great plays. Lyn might become our next great DB. Kid did a great job on Sanu which caused Rutgers to use Sanu in motion a lot to get away from Lyn's one on one coverage. And the other DB's did a great job downfield and where it eems we never turn our heads to look for the ball, they all seemed to time their turns just right yesterday.

And to think most of us were worried about the D yesterday and fell confident the O would put up 30+. With all the self inflicted mistakes on offense, the play of the defense shows that we are fr better than rutgers. That wasn't 2 evenly matched teams out there yesterday.

Good post -- agree wholeheartedly. And re: Lyn, I've been saying it all along, he's our best corner in 15 years. And Dyshawn, wow. That LB corps looks pretty damn good for the next 3 or 4 years with him and Lynch. And you are 100% right about not being evenly matched.

Yes I did. Just because SU's offense isn't scoring doesn't mean that Phil Thomas should be dropping points in his hands. Take points whenever you can get them on D, O or ST. He doesn't deserve praise for that drop.

The fear going into the year was getting steamrolled on run defense. Hasn't happened yet. The defense is improving, and will get a boost when those three guys can go. Regarding the offense, Rutgers has a very good defense, could be the best in the league.

As for who has the best freshmen, Schiano loves Freshmen, in particular QB's. He played true freshmen Savage and Sanu in '09 at QB, Dodd and Deering (along with Sanu and Savage) last year, and Nova (along with Dodd) this year. He's been doing the same with his tailbacks. And he swapped out two linemen for freshmen last week. It's almost like he feels compelled to start from scratch every year. That's one way you can say you have a young team every year for 11 years.

P Thomas did drop a no brainer, I could have run int the endzone had he caught it, even with his mummy legs
until the syracuse offense can outscore the syracuse defense, i'm going to focus more on the offense not scoring

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom