Have defended JB for decades... | Syracusefan.com

Have defended JB for decades...

DoctorBombay

Hall of Fame
...but this year will really test my limits.
I’ve come on this board and called people “negatoids” and the like. Yet lately all of my own posts have trended that way.
I just can’t figure why we have a team of square pegs, constantly being fitted for round holes. We probably played less people today than GTown had available. Why?
We couldn’t throw a press on them, maybe try to wear them out? We couldn’t try something, anything, other than the same old “rinse and repeat, & damn the torpedoes” coaching ethos we’ve seen this year? No flexibility, no adjustments, no...anything.
Yes, we’re not a good team, but in all honesty, I’m not sure this HC, the same man who’s assembled this ishtshow, can get anything out of this year, especially if there’s no willingness to change. I sincerely hope that by March, I’ll be proven wrong...but i seriously doubt it.
Meanwhile, I’ve become the very thing that I’ve decried for years- feeling very “negatoid” right now. (End Rant)

Last edited:
I’ve come on this board and called people “negatoids” and the like. Yet lately all of my own posts have trended that way.
I just can’t think figure why we have a team of square pegs, constantly being fitted for round holes. We probably played less people today than GTown had available. Why?
We couldn’t throw a press on them, maybe try to wear them out? We couldn’t try something, anything, other than the same old “rinse and repeat, & damn the torpedoes” coaching ethos we’ve seen this year? No flexibility, no adjustments, no...anything.
Yes, we’re not a good team, but in all honesty, I’m not sure this HC, the same man who’s assembled this ishtshow, can get anything out of this year, especially if there’s no willingness to change. I sincere hope that by March, I’ll be proven wrong...but i seriously doubt it.
Meanwhile, I’ve become the very thing that I’ve decried for years- feeling very “negatoid” right now. (End Rant)
It's not just this season, it's been like this for awhile. JB is too stubborn to change.

I just can’t think figure why we have a team of square pegs, constantly being fitted for round holes. We probably played less people today than GTown had available. Why?
Yes, we’re not a good team, but in all honesty, I’m not sure this HC, the same man who’s assembled this ishtshow, can get anything out of this year, especially if there’s no willingness to change. I sincere hope that by March, I’ll be proven wrong...but i seriously doubt it.

Um, can you say sanctions! ;):rolleyes:

Decades?

Your defense must have been a real struggle in 03, 10, 12, 13, 16. My condolences.
Yes, decades. Our fanbase has always had a tendency to gripe on JB. I turned around in the late 80’s and realized the quality we had on the bench, so every time someone bitched about “Boeheim’s not a good coach”, I’d readily defend him.
The issue today is not whether he has been a great coach, it’s more about, like every legend since time immemorial, if he can actually change his philosophies to fit the times in front of him.
Today's game, our approach to this young season, with this team & personnel, is indicating that he will NOT. And that’s what I’m coming to grips with.

Last edited:
Yes, we’re not a good team, but in all honesty, I’m not sure this HC, the same man who’s assembled this ishtshow, can get anything out of this year, especially if there’s no willingness to change. I sincerely hope that by March, I’ll be proven wrong...but i seriously doubt it.
Re: pressing — JB just made a point of saying we are a bad pressing team. In the radio show, I think... Quite a bit of emphasis on how it’s going to be a negative for us this year. Trying to “wear them out,” I dunno. Maybe. But at what expense? A lot of easy buckets the other way before they get worn out and then we have an even bigger hill to climb. I thought we stayed in it better than I expected. Thought we were on the verge of losing by 20 at different points.

I’m all for “change,” but I don’t see how the personnel fits that now. Buddy is the reason why it was even a ten point game in the second half, and he would not have been ideal for pressing.

Re: pressing — JB just made a point of saying we are a bad pressing team. In the radio show, I think... Quite a bit of emphasis on how it’s going to be a negative for us this year. Trying to “wear them out,” I dunno. Maybe. But at what expense? A lot of easy buckets the other way before they get worn out and then we have an even bigger hill to climb. I thought we stayed in it better than I expected. Thought we were on the verge of losing by 20 at different points.

I’m all for “change,” but I don’t see how the personnel fits that now. Buddy is the reason why it was even a ten point game in the second half, and he would not have been ideal for pressing.
You don’t have to full court press. You can 3/4 press and fall back to a zone to eat shot clock and make their guards expend some energy moving the ball up the court.

With the new shot clock, we should always do that with the zone, but I digress.

Here’s the thing: Like many here, I’m totally at a loss. However, I just don’t believe in doing the same thing, and expecting different results. He’s put together this ishtshow of a team & the only solution is what, more of the same?
Again, maybe I’m still in denial, transitioning to bargaining, but not yet at the acceptance stage...at least for a few more games.

You don’t have to full court press. You can 3/4 press and fall back to a zone to eat shot clock and make their guards expend some energy moving the ball up the court.

I’ll buy that for a dollar. Good point. I’d be for that. It has worked against us before. But I think jb still thinks we would give up easy baskets. There’s nothing to stop a team from pushing it all the way. Also, when we need to do this, it’s at a point when we don’t want them to eat the entire shot clock. We press to end possessions quickly, hopefully. But it works against us when those possessions end quickly with points against us.

his brain is over riding all logic like the 737 MAX flight controller.

I feel ya my friend. Syracuse men's basketball is the NCAA's version of Ground Hog Day. God bless JB but the program has become fossilized, stuck in amber like a 50 million year old insect. How many more years are we going to play zone D come hell or high water; run a thin as gruel offense that hangs on the perimeter before someone chucks up a three or tries to force a move inside when there is nothing there (are you old enough to remember the days when we had a wicked fastbreak?); have a "big" in the middle that is an offensive liability and doesn't offer too much more on defense; always play a very short bench and any youngsters that do get some PT get the hook at even the slightest mistake (unfortunately you can't teach experience) etc, etc. I mean it really is the same exact numbing routine that stopped paying dividends about half a decade ago . . . except for that 2016 miracle Final Four, for which I still send a box of chocolates to Middle Tennessee State every March since. Time is not fixing these issues, we actually seem to be going in reverse. It really is well past time for some meaningful changes. Just saying

I've been saying this. It is such a no-brainer.

Decades?

Your defense must have been a real struggle in 03, 10, 12, 13, 16. My condolences.
Well from 2013 - present it has been a real struggle outside of a couple weeks in March twice in that span of 7+ years. Amazing how in the eyes of some a couple improbable March runs can erase 7-years of annual 13+ losses with barely any ACCT wins, along with historical losses to teams like Old Dominion or St Bonaventure in the Dome.

why would you need to defend JAB from 1976-2014?

Free Throws 31-9 Syracuse 5-9 , McClug was 9-10 Himself

Yep. That's what happens when you have a bad defense whose defenders are constantly getting beat off the dribble on top being slow afoot, etc. and the ensuing issues that creates on the interior. They have to foul or give up an easy FG. It's similar to a defender in football being burnt and having no choice but to grab a receiver and get flagged for PI or else give up an easy TD, etc.

Additionally, many of those fouls also occurred due to our normal rebounding woes and the opponents 2nd and 3rd chance opportunities due to our immense inside defensive weaknesses. Our fouls are causally related to our poor defense, and athletic deficiencies. Moreover, we don't get the foul line as we can't break down the opposing D off the dribble like many of our better opponents do to us nor do we have any semblance of an inside threat. We pass the ball around the perimeter until the shot clock is near its end and then launch 3's, not exactly how fouls are drawn. It's the precise recipe of what transpired yesterday and the objective reason for the large discrepancy you point out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom