Have not been this pumped up for a game since the ‘98 Tennessee game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Have not been this pumped up for a game since the ‘98 Tennessee game

Sea Bass and the Fellas agree!

Boilermakers can go kick rocks

1663274818242.png

Hale on the show before ACC PM predicted Tucker will have 100 yards rushing and receiving. Pumped for this game.

Love this take and am absolutely fired up. I’m not quite *there* with the analogy, though. In ‘98 we had built it up gradually. We had Mcnabb with bowl wins under his belt and nothing to prove from a “program relevant “ perspective.

This year is clearly is more out the blue. We’re coming off a massively disappointing season (multiple seasons) with a coach on the hotseat and a bunch of local and national apathy about the program. I’m taking it for everything it gives us but still don’t have expectations anywhere in the stratosphere of where they were in 98.

Regardless, let’s win and see where it goes.
point back then was not program relevance, we were relevant, but potentially nationally prominent top 5 relevance back in the hunt for the big things associated with college football. Like you said, regardless, lets get this program relevant again with a W tommorow to then be able keep dreaming about more than that!

If we beat Purdue on Saturday, and Louisville beats FSU tomorrow night, we deserve to be in the Top 25, period.
I don't think the lville game matters tbh. Win and be ranked.

I can’t wait for this game, I was at the Purdue game in 2004, and it was about the most painful thing to sit through ever, time for revenge and be 3-0, with two very winnable games after. This game is HUGE. Of course I have a golf tourney with a 7:50 tee time hopefully Waze app is working good because it’s gonna be 80mph plus on 81 north!

OK here’s why. This game represents a unique opportunity that we haven’t had for a long while.

That ‘98 Tn game was the last time we had potential national implications if we had won and this one does as well both locally in terms of how the population around here will respond to a win and nationally with finally reaching a level of some respect after too long a time without any.

Win the Tennessee game with that cast of talented players and literally anything would’ve been possible that year, with so much to play for on a national level I think they would’ve avoided the letdown of the NC State game.

This year with this cast of players and level of talent it similarly suggest the implications could be the same, emphasize could with a long way to go in the season certainly with a lot to play out, but win this one and the big dreams REALISTICALLY remain alive.

And the potentialities and implications of a W this weekend would set this program off in a direction that RF accurately points out has not been even sniffed since 1987 (with that statement Jeremycuse is shaking his head), but it is an accurate legit and correct statement.

Now I was crushed after that Tn game the depths of which probably wasn’t healthy fully realizing the complete utter missed opportunity for national relevance it represented and for The very real possibility of likely sustained excellence that was lost. .

Well Here we are again with a similar opportunity. That said going in fully understanding this time around with the big 10 refs coming it will likely be another hurdle needed to be overcome just like the SEC refs and their favorability towards Tennessee. Sucks yes, unfair sure, but it is what it is.

And think It’s actually an advantage going in knowing they won’t just have to beat Purdue but will have to play at a level they haven’t reached yet to meet this challenge and win this game. A tremendous challenge no doubt.

But one I think that can be met both by this talented team that just seems to have a legit decent and different vibe about it as well as for 35,000 hard cores that I expect to be there with us to help things along.

And just like like we are seeing things on the field we haven’t seen in a long long time, same too with the fans with a crowd like last game the likes of which have not been seen in the place in probably two decades. When MacDonald made that interception the noise level reminded me of Dan Conley‘s interception in 1992 against Miami. I think we see some of those moments this Saturday.

Despite being a team without the marquee name of a Notre Dame or Florida State, Make no mistake about it this Purdue game is as big as it gets in the big picture. Think both the team and us fans are gonna be up to the challenge this time around, from my mouth/keyboard to gods ears!

LFGO! WAR DAMN OTTO!

GREAT POST!!

I agree that if we win this game, we are going to be back on the national radar for the first time in a long time.

If we beat Purdue on Saturday, the road to 5-0, and dare I say a Top 25 ranking, could be within our reach. Virginia has been terrible so far.

I would quibble about saying, "for the first time since 1987", That's just silly. We were in the national conversation from 1987 until McNabb graduated. Although we lost too many early games in some of those seasons, we were a hell of a team, and played some great bowl games, beating some legendary programs along the way.

One thing your post reminded me of, is the way the SU Hoops team, despite the 1976 FInal Four, really didn't "register" on a national level until we beat Joe Barry Carroll and a highly-ranked Purdue team in West Lafayette, IN in 1980 with Louie and Bowie on a then-rare national TV game.

May this be a similar moment for the gridiron boys!! LGO!

OK here’s why. This game represents a unique opportunity that we haven’t had for a long while.

That ‘98 Tn game was the last time we had potential national implications if we had won and this one does as well both locally in terms of how the population around here will respond to a win and nationally with finally reaching a level of some respect after too long a time without any.

Win the Tennessee game with that cast of talented players and literally anything would’ve been possible that year, with so much to play for on a national level I think they would’ve avoided the letdown of the NC State game.

This year with this cast of players and level of talent it similarly suggest the implications could be the same, emphasize could with a long way to go in the season certainly with a lot to play out, but win this one and the big dreams REALISTICALLY remain alive.

And the potentialities and implications of a W this weekend would set this program off in a direction that RF accurately points out has not been even sniffed since 1987 (with that statement Jeremycuse is shaking his head), but it is an accurate legit and correct statement.

Now I was crushed after that Tn game the depths of which probably wasn’t healthy fully realizing the complete utter missed opportunity for national relevance it represented and for The very real possibility of likely sustained excellence that was lost. .

Well Here we are again with a similar opportunity. That said going in fully understanding this time around with the big 10 refs coming it will likely be another hurdle needed to be overcome just like the SEC refs and their favorability towards Tennessee. Sucks yes, unfair sure, but it is what it is.

And think It’s actually an advantage going in knowing they won’t just have to beat Purdue but will have to play at a level they haven’t reached yet to meet this challenge and win this game. A tremendous challenge no doubt.

But one I think that can be met both by this talented team that just seems to have a legit decent and different vibe about it as well as for 35,000 hard cores that I expect to be there with us to help things along.

And just like like we are seeing things on the field we haven’t seen in a long long time, same too with the fans with a crowd like last game the likes of which have not been seen in the place in probably two decades. When MacDonald made that interception the noise level reminded me of Dan Conley‘s interception in 1992 against Miami. I think we see some of those moments this Saturday.

Despite being a team without the marquee name of a Notre Dame or Florida State, Make no mistake about it this Purdue game is as big as it gets in the big picture. Think both the team and us fans are gonna be up to the challenge this time around, from my mouth/keyboard to gods ears!

LFGO! WAR DAMN OTTO!

The refs closest to the play didn't throw a flag. It came from a guy 40 yards away. That plus the BS uniform calls that have never been made sense raised people's suspicions that the fix was on. I'll never forget Steve Hyder's post game diatribe on the radio where he basically accused Phil Fulmer of bribing the refs. I thought for sure he'd be sued for libel. But maybe that's par for the course in the SEC.

But I wasn't crushed by it. The Vols ran the table and won the first BCS championship. After we blew defending AP champion Michigan out of their own place the next week and then put seven dimes on Rutgers, I had hopes of running the table ourselves, winning McNabb a Heisman and meeting the Vols again for the national title. Then came the trip to Raleigh to obtain revenge for the '97 game. That's where I was crushed. It was so painful that for the first time i wondered if it was worth it to care about a team so much.

But I still do...

Last edited:
Purdue is not at the very top of the BT as Tennessee was at the very top of the SEC back in '98, but beating Purdue would be a very big deal.

Wasn't your last Lambert Trophy back before 1998?
Could be. Without looking it up, I don’t really know. But the Lambert Trophy kind of lost it’s relevance when they started awarding it to teams like Miami and Louisville.

Oh, and they awarded to Army in 2018 rather than 10-3 Syracuse. I think the LT has lost their mission.

Could be. Without looking it up, I don’t really know. But the Lambert Trophy kind of lost it’s relevance when they started awarding it to teams like Miami and Louisville.

Oh, and they awarded to Army in 2018 rather than 10-3 Syracuse. I think the LT has lost their mission.

In 1964 we beat Penn State 21-14, were 7-3 and went to the Sugar Bowl and they gave it to Penn State, who was 6-4. The next year they gave it to Dartmouth rather than another 7-3 SU team. The same thing happened in 1970 when SU went after and 0-3 start vs. non-Eastern teams and crushed Penn State 24-7 in their own place.

LFGO! WAR DAMN OTTO!
One other thing I learned that day: Don't cook your eggs in the bacon grease leftover from the bacon you just made. Definitely didn't feel great.

And absolutely spot on. Well said CR!

44cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom