Have to get Benny easy buckets | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Have to get Benny easy buckets

He has to be out there for us to be good.
I'm going to be direct about this in the interest of full disclosure - are you related to Benny or do you have a friendship with him? That's fine if you do, but I can't help but notice you have no issue criticizing anyone else, but everyone is always being unfair to him.

That's not to say I don't like Benny as a person from what I know. I admire how he has handled adversity thus far.

I’d rather we find easy buckets for the kids who can score. I’m not sure right now if Benny is a P5 player. There doesn’t seem to be any improvement over last year and his deer in the headlights is far worse than Jalen Carey ever was.

I do wonder how long Coach is going to stick with him. There are four players on the bench who are better.

Benny posted up low a few times in the beginning of the second half, and I thought that was a good spot for him on offense. He drew a second defender, and others got an easy shot off.

Gotta wonder what IS the issue with Benny. He may have all the talent and athleticism in the world
but when little shows up in the boxscore...?
Is this kind of like a Roberson redux? Team can't afford this. I think Benny played something like 23 minutes last night. A coach should sit down with Benny and review those minutes and ask Benny just what is going through his head? Walk through the tape of the Duke game from last year...compare the 2.
Do something, if a coach hasn't already...

Benny has to take some responsibility for his play and create his own opportunities on the court. Right now plays should be ran for Edwards, JGIII, and Judah everyone else should play off of those guys. Benny needs to use this "atheleticism" to create his own chances throughout the game. Until he proves we can give him the ball and he can get his like the other three he shouldn't be getting any ISO chances.

Why? What has he shown that makes him a difference maker on our success?
Like a few are able to see, it looks like Brown is going to have trouble against actual D1 players moving forward. Benny has the tools aside from a broken jumper.

Jim needs to run something to get him going, instead of putting him in spots that don’t cater to his play.

I'm going to be direct about this in the interest of full disclosure - are you related to Benny or do you have a friendship with him? That's fine if you do, but I can't help but notice you have no issue criticizing anyone else, but everyone is always being unfair to him.

That's not to say I don't like Benny as a person from what I know. I admire how he has handled adversity thus far.
Have I ever done anything but praise Edwards? Even Girard I don’t say anything about. He is what he is. Symir is good. Judah i love but don’t see an NBA player as of this yr. Love what Hima has shown. Bunch isn’t ready IMHO. JT’s defense and inconsistent shot is a concern. Cope, who knows… Benny has been a victim of the JB doghouse, and a worse version than the past, due to having to play Jim Jr last yr. Fans that understand the game know that we need Benny in order to be good. Someone like Maliq that walks around flat footed isn’t going to cut it in ACC play. Maliq may be the best of frosh forwards but to talk about him taking Benny’s spot after a bad game against Lehigh is nuts. Look at Benny vs IUP.

Last edited:
This is the Edwards PARADOX
He makes other forwards and centers look small yet he himself is smaller than those he Makes look small.
He’s listed at 6’11” yet dwarfs Our backup centers, also listed at 6’11.

I had high hopes for Benny at the start of the game when he made a strong move right off of the tip off, then just missed the shot.

He's a snowball player. A bad thing happens, then he makes another mistake. He took some bad shots, made some poor choices with the ball. It snowballs on him.

We need that snowball to roll in a better direction. I don't know what you do. Last season I felt like he was frozen out of what the offense was trying to do and he wasn't really getting opportunities. This year the opportunities are there. At a certain point a player just has to make some plays.

He can turn it around. Needs to keep his confidence intact. Remove the bad shots, get a little smarter with the ball... he might not be that far from being solid.

I had high hopes for Benny at the start of the game when he made a strong move right off of the tip off, then just missed the shot.

He's a snowball player. A bad thing happens, then he makes another mistake. He took some bad shots, made some poor choices with the ball. It snowballs on him.

We need that snowball to roll in a better direction. I don't know what you do. Last season I felt like he was frozen out of what the offense was trying to do and he wasn't really getting opportunities. This year the opportunities are there. At a certain point a player just has to make some plays.

He can turn it around. Needs to keep his confidence intact. Remove the bad shots, get a little smarter with the ball... he might not be that far from being solid.
Hire Stuart Smalley for pep talks . He’s available

I don't see it as people "giving up" on Benny. I think many were hoping that he'd make the sophomore leap, and build upon what he did against Duke.

But pragmatically, he doesn't appear to have made the jump. That was my concern when he played in the summer tour, and struggled. And despite the flashes of inconsistent solid play in the exhibition games, yesterday was a step backwards.

I was hoping that his one exhibition game, where he scored and amassed a bunch of rebounds, that would be a performance he could build upon and never look back. He needs to bounce back in game 2. But I'm fearing that he's going to be a yo-yo of inconsistency all season long.

And if he doesn't straighten out, then he's at risk of losing PT to other teammates [like Brown] who produce more consistency.

Benny is going to get plenty of chances to make his case to get major PT all year.

However, Brown to me is the type of player JB likes and trusts. He surprised me last night. I think he’s a very real candidate to steal minutes from Benny, maybe as early as the Richmond game. I don’t think JB would hesitate to give Brown 20 minutes a game. That puts a little bit more pressure on Benny now to perform

If there is someone on the bench who's playing better than Benny, they deserve to play. This should not become a situation we saw previously where PT was pre-configured. We have plenty of options and Benny hasn't earned some sort of permanent spot. Hopefully he kicks it in and has a great Game 2

I don't see it as people "giving up" on Benny. I think many were hoping that he'd make the sophomore leap, and build upon what he did against Duke.

But pragmatically, he doesn't appear to have made the jump. That was my concern when he played in the summer tour, and struggled. And despite the flashes of inconsistent solid play in the exhibition games, yesterday was a step backwards.

I was hoping that his one exhibition game, where he scored and amassed a bunch of rebounds, that would be a performance he could build upon and never look back. He needs to bounce back in game 2. But I'm fearing that he's going to be a yo-yo of inconsistency all season long.

And if he doesn't straighten out, then he's at risk of losing PT to other teammates [like Brown] who produce more consistency.
Brown has played in garbage minutes in 3 games ever. Why is he already more consistent?

Have I ever done anything but praise Edwards? Even Girard I don’t say anything about. He is what he is. Symir is good. Judah i love but don’t see an NBA player as of this yr. Love what Hima has shown. Bunch isn’t ready IMHO. JT’s defense and inconsistent shot is a concern. Cope, who knows… Benny has been a victim of the JB doghouse, and a worse version than the past, due to having to play Jim Jr last yr. Fans that understand the game know that we need Benny in order to be good. Someone like Maliq that walks around flat footed isn’t going to cut it in ACC play. Maliq may be the best of frosh forwards but to talk about him taking Benny’s spot after a bad game against Lehigh is nuts. Look at Benny vs IUP.
You didn't entirely answer my question, but that's ok if you don't want to disclose that. Thanks for the replay on the other stuff.

You didn't entirely answer my question, but that's ok if you don't want to disclose that. Thanks for the replay on the other stuff.
Not related. Nor do I know him or his family. Don’t root for the kid when he’s doing well, please. Just root for him as a person and his ability to overcome adversity.

Not related. Nor do I know him or his family. Don’t root for the kid when he’s doing well, please. Just root for him as a person and his ability to overcome adversity.
I really admire him as a person and how he has handled adversity so I'm rooting for him also, just without the bias you have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom