Have to get Benny easy buckets | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Have to get Benny easy buckets

Brown has played in garbage minutes in 3 games ever. Why is he already more consistent?

That's valid -- but did you watch last night's game?

I don't know WHY he seems to produce, beyond the fact that he displays a better feel for the game than Benny does at a point further along his developmental curve.

Let’s reassess the Benny/Brown after we play someone decent.
Yes, we need to wait at least a few games (not including exhibition) before giving up on Benny. His defensive energy was good last night. Struggled offensively and started to lose confidence.

If we were to base things off a single game and the knee jerk reactions and comments posted on here, we would have a different lineup every game. Perfect example - Mintz was killed on the board after the second exhibition game. Now everyone is back on the Mintz wagon.

This clearly was not his coming out party. He still looks like a big 2 star prospect.

Listen, I know many have already given up on him… the dude is massive and athletic. He has confidence issues. Why can’t we run the slip screens that we run for Jesse for Benny? Get him going and who knows.
If he has confidence issues, then get him a sports psychologist. I truly sympathize - I really do. Succeeding at sports, or anything, is all about confidence.

But if he can't turn it around before the conference schedule, then we need to move in a different direction with his minutes.

Yes, we need to wait at least a few games (not including exhibition) before giving up on Benny. His defensive energy was good last night. Struggled offensively and started to lose confidence.

If we were to base things off a single game and the knee jerk reactions and comments posted on here, we would have a different lineup every game. Perfect example - Mintz was killed on the board after the second exhibition game. Now everyone is back on the Mintz wagon.
different lineup every game sounds fine to me

and why not??

eventually it will all shake out and the lineup will settle.

play good keep your spot...get outperformed and lose it...its not that hard...or unfair.

off game 1 - I would start brown. If he ain't it...give benny a start...but Brown looks solid imo

He turns it over 50% of the time he touches the ball on offense. I'd rather just take our lumps with the 3 freshmen at forward and hope they improve for conference play they have a nice combination of skills Taylor physically looks a lot older and is pretty well rounded Bell can stroke it Brown is an effective PF and will get points in the paint (which Williams struggles to do.)

Guard and Center we are all set.

Look, Brown may be fine down the road, but he is just laying the ball in, in fortunate situations.
Brown is a nice dependable player who’s able to contribute now and can spell Benny when he’s not playing well. He has a chance to be really good in a few years. But I’m with you, NYC. The reason we need Benny to emerge is his elite size and athleticism. Brown doesn’t have that. If the Coaches can get Benny going and have him finally figure out what he needs to be doing on the court and focus on that, he has a higher ceiling.

Brown is a nice dependable player who’s able to contribute now and can spell Benny when he’s not playing well. He has a chance to be really good in a few years. But I’m with you, NYC. The reason we need Benny to emerge is his elite size and athleticism. Brown doesn’t have that. If the Coaches can get Benny going and have him finally figure out what he needs to be doing on the court and focus on that, he has a higher ceiling.
Well said. With Brown, he may be able to spell him in these games, I’m just cautious going forward against real bodies. Good post.

That's valid -- but did you watch last night's game?

I don't know WHY he seems to produce, beyond the fact that he displays a better feel for the game than Benny does at a point further along his developmental curve.
I think Benny spends too much time close to or beyond the three point line. This limits his offensive rebound opportunities and also his availability for accepting passes close to the basket for easy buckets. In contrast, Brown seems to stay close to the paint.

I think Benny spends too much time close to or beyond the three point line. This limits his offensive rebound opportunities and also his availability for accepting passes close to the basket for easy buckets. In contrast, Brown seems to stay close to the paint.
Coaches have to do something

If there was a college development league, that is where Benny would be. He needs lots of PT but he does not deserve lots of PT
Some might trivialize the Brown comparison saying that he got easy baskets. How come Benny does not get these easy baskets?

If there was a college development league, that is where Benny would be. He needs lots of PT but he does not deserve lots of PT
Some might trivialize the Brown comparison saying that he got easy baskets. How come Benny does not get these easy baskets?
I think some of it has to do with where Benny is (spread out on the wing at the 3pt line) on the court a large portion of the time

I think some of it has to do with where Benny is (spread out on the wing at the 3pt line) on the court a large portion of the time
A nd who's fault is that? JB tells him to rebound.

A nd who's fault is that? JB tells him to rebound.
I would say some of the blame falls on the coaching staff. If they don't view him as a shooter or someone that can truly space the floor, why run a 4 out type of offense or several sets that put him out on the wing?

None of the blame falls on the coaching staff for Benny floating around. The offensive sets do not change for Benny. Using the same sets, Brown gets points down low.

I hate the title of this thread and the whole idea behind it. Benny has to hustle his arse off and play to his strength. Play good D and hit the boards. The more active he is on the glass the better he will play.

Easy buckets are always great for any player.

Benny has plus athleticism. He was a 5 star.

He needs to figure out how to get easy, medium, and hard buckets.

The staff needs to run the right sort of plays for him for that to happen.

I like Benny and want him to be successful. However it is not like JB is keeping it a secret what he expects from Benny. Rebound, crash the glass and attack the rim for points. No outside shots. The problem seems to be Benny wants to be an outside shooter instead of an inside scorer. If he does not adjust Brown will take his PT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom