Haven't had a long post all season so I am going to go ahead and let one rip... | Syracusefan.com

Haven't had a long post all season so I am going to go ahead and let one rip...

orangefan13

Hall of Fame
These are my opinions...

Let me preface on saying I think as fans we don't believe teams can get better as the year goes on anymore. Its crazy how much of this is going on. Its perplexing. This team has so much room to grow with
1.shooting,
2. not turning the ball over, (whens the last time we averaged 15-17 a game a long time ago.)
3. finishing on offense
4.as well as defensive rotating
5. better pg play inviting pressure.
6. motion offense (hasn't even got going yet)
Its not even funny.

I think we have been spoiled by teams not losing in november and riding upperclass talent that we are not used to the team getting better. It is inconceivable to imagine by many of us. I think its crazy personally.

Whens the last time we averaged like 15-18 turnovers a game early on. Think back to the 10-11 team with soph triche and jr kjo that team only averaged like 10-14 turnovers and shot like 25% from deep for the first 12 games of the season, if I remember correctly.

I really like the overall chemistry of this team, alot of room to grow this year. More upside then 10-11 and thats the team I want to compare them to and I think they can still go to a final four with the right groth, honestly. 10-11 had freshmen baye, cj, rick jackson, jr scoop soph triche and jr joseph I still like this teams upside better imo, that team was much more inept over time with a much lower scoring ceiling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Joseph. My thoughts I know hes a freshmen and hes going to just pop or grow piece by piece to his all around game is there. Hes got a real nice jumper developing.

* I don't know If I have ever seen his pocket picked all year. His turnovers come in other ways.

1. He doesn't invite contact 2. he picks the ball up alittle to much, as a pg no need for that. 3. He makes some passes with the defender 5-8 feet off of them that don't need to be made. 4. His dribble is shaky and he knows it.

In the halfcourt Hes got to run at a different speed then the rest of the team, utilizing the court but at the same time alittle slower and in control, the rest of the team can be aggressive with transition half court offense. The team needs to get use to this.

I think JB needs to build his confidence and nows the time. Hes got to Dribble to invite the contact teach act instead of reacting, its time to.
If I am coach thats what I am doing with him. Hes going to make some turnovers anyway, reguardless would much rather see his pocket picked here and there and it will happen some but he needs to keep cracking. It will help his halfcourt attack when he does as well. Confidence Confidence Confidence.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
McCullough had his first bad game on a day he wasn't all there wasn't looking around wasn't aware of the floor at all today. He was only going 50%.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rak is really settling into his role. He was scoring off the dribble from the high instead of the mid today. Our best dribbling true PF or Bigger since John Wallace. He faces his man up best since wallace and he rolls off them back to his man on offense.

*Its time for the coaches to review every game and pick out every bad foul he had this year, and for him to sit down for a 45 minutes for a entire week and watch them. 90% chance this will make him better. As a coach I would do this.
****The mind is a funny thing you need muscle memory you can't just keep popping in a thought here and there you need to really sit down and practice it to get it into your long term memory instead of short. . Its only in his short right now, and imo thats why hes doing this not because hes not all there in the head. If he does that he will take every mess up to heart much more. I don't buy into the hes not a perfectionist talk right now. He needs to put things in his long term to be one.

Gbinije was out today with a injury hope its not serious, he and cooney can lead some with their physical nature. I like Gbinijes ability to score off alittle contact, getting back to joseph he can really benefit with gbinije and cooney getting physical with him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BJ off day, but him Roberson and McCullough attacked the offensive boards while rak was in the game. Thats a great sign and great for their confidence. Nice Job by Rak to be nice and give them all those :p

Loved what one poster was saying about cooney and floating and catching sideways on his jumper. Old cooney was back today.
** I wouldn't count on him getting those all the time though. Thats to be expected.

There will be teams that will faceguard the hell out of him. He and other players are going to have to make spot up threes on those days.

**Maybe he should point a direction when he gets open so the player can lead him in that direction instead of spotting up on rare times when he is wide open. Worst that can happen is he starts to drift that way for the catch when he is wide open and has to cut back to catch the ball and reset the offense.

One observation of his leadership today. He trapped well in the corner caused a turnvoer or two and on one play the opponent stepped through a sideline baseline double team press for a crosscourt three kickout(the most dangerous pass to shoot a three from outside the top of the key. Cooney recovered excellently on that play and the announcer gave him a gold star for it.

Roberson was a absolute monster today, minus a bad illivised forced shot and a sequence on offense and defense where he lost the fast break pass(BJ lost one also, both got a massive earfull from JB) and he fouled a guy for three in the corner late the next play to get pulled.

**I don't know what to add about him here as this was his first coming out party, but I am sure there is stuff to say about his abilities not just his aggressive nature.

Really enjoying this team. They have room to cut down on 5-6 turnovers a game and fix up the offense. When they do they could be winning some games by double digits even in the acc. Not killing decent midmajors is not a bad sign anymore, some don't understand that yet. last years team won early by small margins. Had they shot well late under some pressure they would have kept doing so.

This team is geting yelled at alot by its mistakes so they don't do it again by jb and rightfully so, They need to get this stuff in their long term memory not short. Thats called experience, it can be learned in one year.

There is no such thing as a team deserving it more in the future or the past, even a 16 seed vs a one reguardless of the name or coach. When a team clicks and finally gets it,earns it on the court, they do. Try watching games with the mindset Physical advantage is only good for 5-8 points against a team that plays hard. Instead Smart basketball and execution wins games.

Last edited:
These are my opinions...

Let me preface on saying I think as fans we don't believe teams can get better as the year goes on anymore. Its crazy how much of this is going on. Its perplexing. This team has so much room to grow with
1.shooting,
2. not turning the ball over, (whens the last time we averaged 15-17 a game a long time ago.)
3. finishing on offense
4.as well as defensive rotating
5. better pg play inviting pressure.
6. motion offense (hasn't even got going yet)
Its not even funny.

I think we have been spoiled by teams not losing in november and riding upperclass talent that we are not used to the team getting better. It is inconceivable to imagine by many of us. I think its crazy personally.

Whens the last time we averaged like 15-18 turnovers a game early on. Think back to the 10-11 team with soph triche and jr kjo that team only averaged like 10-14 turnovers and shot like 25% from deep for the first 12 games of the season, if I remember correctly.

I really like the overall chemistry of this team, alot of room to grow this year. More upside then 10-11 and thats the team I want to compare them to and I think they can still go to a final four with the right groth, honestly. 10-11 had freshmen baye, cj, rick jackson, jr scoop soph triche and jr joseph I still like this teams upside better imo, that team was much more inept over time with a much lower scoring ceiling.

On Joseph. My thoughts I know hes a freshmen and hes going to just pop or grow piece by piece to his all around game is there. Hes got a real nice jumper developing.

* I don't know If I have ever seen his pocket picked all year. His turnovers come in other ways.

1. He doesn't invite contact 2. he picks the ball up alittle to much, as a pg no need for that. 3. He makes some passes with the defender 5-8 feet off of them that don't need to be made. 4. His dribble is shaky and he knows it.

In the halfcourt Hes got to run at a different speed then the rest of the team, utilizing the court but at the same time alittle slower and in control, the rest of the team can be aggressive with transition half court offense. The team needs to get use to this.

I think JB needs to build his confidence and nows the time. Hes got to Dribble to invite the contact teach act instead of reacting, its time to.
If I am coach thats what I am doing with him. Hes going to make some turnovers anyway, reguardless would much rather see his pocket picked here and there and it will happen some but he needs to keep cracking. It will help his halfcourt attack when he does as well. Confidence Confidence Confidence.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
McCullough had his first bad game on a day he wasn't all there wasn't looking around wasn't aware of the floor at all today. He was only going 50%.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rak is really settling into his role. He was scoring off the dribble from the high instead of the mid today. Our best dribbling true PF or Bigger since John Wallace. He faces his man up best since wallace and he rolls off them back to his man on offense.

*Its time for the coaches to review every game and pick out every bad foul he had this year, and for him to sit down for a 45 minutes for a entire week and watch them. 90% chance this will make him better. As a coach I would do this.
****The mind is a funny thing you need muscle memory you can't just keep popping in a thought here and there you need to really sit down and practice it to get it into your long term memory instead of short. . Its only in his short right now, and imo thats why hes doing this not because hes not all there in the head. If he does that he will take every mess up to heart much more. I don't buy into the hes not a perfectionist talk right now. He needs to put things in his long term to be one.

Gbinije was out today with a injury hope its not serious, he and cooney can lead some with their physical nature. I like Gbinijes ability to score off alittle contact, getting back to joseph he can really benefit with gbinije and cooney getting physical with him.

BJ off day, but him Roberson and McCullough attacked the offensive boards while rak was in the game. Thats a great sign and great for their confidence. Nice Job by Rak to be nice and give them all those :p

Loved what one poster was saying about cooney and floating and catching sideways on his jumper. Old cooney was back today.
** I wouldn't count on him getting those all the time though. Thats to be expected.

There will be teams that will faceguard the hell out of him. He and other players are going to have to make spot up threes on those days.

**Maybe he should point a direction when he gets open so the player can lead him in that direction instead of spotting up on rare times when he is wide open. Worst that can happen is he starts to drift that way for the catch when he is wide open and has to cut back to catch the ball and reset the offense.

One observation of his leadership today. He trapped well in the corner caused a turnvoer or two and on one play the opponent stepped through a sideline baseline double team press for a crosscourt three kickout(the most dangerous pass to shoot a three from outside the top of the key. Cooney recovered excellently on that play and the announcer gave him a gold star for it.

Roberson was a absolute monster today, minus a bad illivised forced shot and a sequence on offense and defense where he lost the fast break pass(BJ lost one also, both got a massive earfull from JB) and he fouled a guy for three in the corner late the next play to get pulled.

**I don't know what to add about him here as this was his first coming out party, but I am sure there is stuff to say about his abilities not just his aggressive nature.

Really enjoying this team. They have room to cut down on 5-6 turnovers a game and fix up the offense. When they do they could be winning some games by double digits even in the acc. Not killing decent midmajors is not a bad sign anymore, some don't understand that yet. last years team won early by small margins. Had they shot well late under some pressure they would have kept doing so.

This team is geting yelled at alot by its mistakes so they don't do it again by jb and rightfully so, They need to get this stuff in their long term memory not short. Thats called experience, it can be learned in one year.

I feel about this post how I felt about Tale of Two Cities in 9th grade… is there a Cliffs Notes available?

;)

I feel about this post how I felt about Tale of Two Cities in 9th grade… is there a Cliffs Notes available?

;)
You shouldn't need the cliff notes. Just read between the lines. We are going to struggle in most games and nothing is going to come easy. We need to eliminate the turnovers and keep our big guys on the court.

;)
Towards the end he said "ball watchers."

beavis-and-butthead1.jpg

I preferred the one where Rak kicked the ball out and TC stepped into the shot straight on. I would like to see more kick outs to TC stepping into his shot straight on.

There is no such thing as a team deserving it more in the future or the past, even a 16 seed vs a one reguardless of the name or coach. When a team clicks and finally gets it,earns it on the court, they do. Try watching games with the mindset Physical advantage is only good for 5-8 points against a team that plays hard. Instead Smart basketball and execution wins games.

Just a little reminder, we won today but we did not beat a team having the same caliber as Duke, Lousiville, or even Villanova. If this team beats Villanova then that will really turn some heads. Even though I think the team is doing much better than since the Cal game, beating Villanova will be a great achievement for our current squad.

Just a little reminder, we won today but we did not beat a team having the same caliber as Duke, Lousiville, or even Villanova. If this team beats Villanova then that will really turn some heads. Even though I think the team is doing much better than since the Cal game, beating Villanova will be a great achievement for our current squad.

If we can pull a road win off against Nova, I'm on board for this team keeping up with the heavyweights of the ACC. A lot needs to change, I think we may be a little light on the talent side of that, but I think it's not mission impossible.

Tale of Two Cities- best book ever. A lot like this years team: "It was the best of times. It was the worst of times."

The Original "Upside and Downside". :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom