Heads in the Sand..... | Syracusefan.com

Heads in the Sand.....

newmexicuse

All Conference
So many posts here about people not being worried or saying we will be fine.

Are these people seeing the same team that I have been watching for the past month or so ????

As of right now it all starts and ends with Jerami. If Jerami can't get back to near 100% - then what ??? Back problems can be tough and lingering. Even if he does come back he would probably be one bad fall or twist from having his season end.

Even if Jerami does come back it would be pretty obvious that he should not be playing 35 to 40 MPG. Maybe 30 minutes max. To me, the dumb butt armchair fan, it is pretty obvious that Mike G is not the answer at small forward. Does the HOF coach see that & take a shot with Roberson who should have been developed much more throughout the season ?? Or else perhaps, one of the many JB can do no wrong posters on this forum can explain to me what JB sees in Mike G at SF that I (Mr. Dumb Butt) have missed. Yeah, G does no harm at that position, as in no harm to the opponents from what I have seen.

Then we have the Cooney issue. He is shooting around 30% since conference play began.. That is a long stretch of games of below average efficiency. Up until the last two games, I thought much of it was on the O sets in that he didn't seem to be getting good looks. The last two games, it appeared that he had plenty of good looks, but no improvement in the results. Unfortunately, his hot start was to this season feels like it took place in Jurassic times. Lately, he has looked like the 2012 Cooney model. All that being said, I see Trevor as the linchpin to this O. If somehow he could get back to shooting 40% from trey range for the post-season then we have at least got a chance (assuming Jerami can play). Almost more frustrating than his shooting percentage is why his game is so one dimensional. It seems every game we get exactly one flash of a nice drive and finish or drive and pullup two. If his man is up on him, these should be easy plays for him to make with regularity. Why so infrequently ????

CJ - he is our leader and most games he plays solidly, but we almost never see the 25 & 10 types of games where he puts the team on his back and drags us across the finish line. I know he can't do that every game, but I think he has it in him to do that every so often. If this team is to make a deep run, we will need one or two of those efforts from CJ. And yes, a few less minutes might help him.

Ennis - he has come back to earth a bit. He is still indispensible and the co-leader along w CJ, but the on-off switch no longer works 100% of the time. I do like that he has tried to step up his O a bit the last two games. But as good as he is, he really needs another year to improve his strength & his trey shooting. Hope that year is with us and not as an apprentice at the next level.

X & BMK - X shows imtermittant flashes & BMK is what he is. Team is too one dimensional, gotta expand X's role & see what happens. No reason these two shouldn't combine for 12 & 10 at least every time out. We can't live with less.

The bench - G looks like he is gradually trying to score a bit more. his psych is fragile - it seems if he has a bad miss, he goes back into his shell (yesterday it was the wide open trey attempt that hit the side of the backboard). He drives well though he is not great at the finish & he is usually left alone at the trey line where he is reasonably efficient. He should only be playing guard & not SF IMHO. Personally, I would like the third guard to be either a legit backup PG or a more explosive scorer off the bench, but G is adequate as a hybrid. Roberson - He should be the third forward off the bench & with Jerami's back issues, he should be getting at least 15 MPG. Maybe he makes more system mistakes than does G at the F spot, but he also makes more plays. Gotta get this team outta the doldrums & take a chance with the potential playmaker up front. I won't even mention Buss & BJ - the Coach has made this a lost season for them.

Jimmy - I have said it all season long - nobody else could have coached this team to more wins, and nobody else would have had this team less prepared for adversity. Well, adversity is here - will the Coach at least try to make some late season adjustments ????

I didn't realize I have my head in the sand because we have struggled a bit after starting 25-0. We were never a dominant team because he have flaws, but if we didn't lose to BC we would be fine right now. We stole the Pitt game and lost the BC game. People are overacting. Our halfcourt offense is sub-par, JB doesn't like film study, and we hear the same talking points. If we are a 1/2 seed in the tournament I could careless about the struggles as that is the coaches job to correct.

Are these people seeing the same team that I have been watching for the past month or so ????

As of right now it all starts and ends with Jerami. If Jerami can't get back to near 100% - then what ??? Back problems can be tough and lingering. Even if he does come back he would probably be one bad fall or twist from having his season end.

Even if Jerami does come back it would be pretty obvious that he should not be playing 35 to 40 MPG. Maybe 30 minutes max. To me, the dumb butt armchair fan, it is pretty obvious that Mike G is not the answer at small forward. Does the HOF coach see that & take a shot with Roberson who should have been developed much more throughout the season ?? Or else perhaps, one of the many JB can do no wrong posters on this forum can explain to me what JB sees in Mike G at SF that I (Mr. Dumb Butt) have missed. Yeah, G does no harm at that position, as in no harm to the opponents from what I have seen.

Then we have the Cooney issue. He is shooting around 30% since conference play began.. That is a long stretch of games of below average efficiency. Up until the last two games, I thought much of it was on the O sets in that he didn't seem to be getting good looks. The last two games, it appeared that he had plenty of good looks, but no improvement in the results. Unfortunately, his hot start was to this season feels like it took place in Jurassic times. Lately, he has looked like the 2012 Cooney model. All that being said, I see Trevor as the linchpin to this O. If somehow he could get back to shooting 40% from trey range for the post-season then we have at least got a chance (assuming Jerami can play). Almost more frustrating than his shooting percentage is why his game is so one dimensional. It seems every game we get exactly one flash of a nice drive and finish or drive and pullup two. If his man is up on him, these should be easy plays for him to make with regularity. Why so infrequently ????

CJ - he is our leader and most games he plays solidly, but we almost never see the 25 & 10 types of games where he puts the team on his back and drags us across the finish line. I know he can't do that every game, but I think he has it in him to do that every so often. If this team is to make a deep run, we will need one or two of those efforts from CJ. And yes, a few less minutes might help him.

Ennis - he has come back to earth a bit. He is still indispensible and the co-leader along w CJ, but the on-off switch no longer works 100% of the time. I do like that he has tried to step up his O a bit the last two games. But as good as he is, he really needs another year to improve his strength & his trey shooting. Hope that year is with us and not as an apprentice at the next level.

X & BMK - X shows imtermittant flashes & BMK is what he is. Team is too one dimensional, gotta expand X's role & see what happens. No reason these two shouldn't combine for 12 & 10 at least every time out. We can't live with less.

The bench - G looks like he is gradually trying to score a bit more. his psych is fragile - it seems if he has a bad miss, he goes back into his shell (yesterday it was the wide open trey attempt that hit the side of the backboard). He drives well though he is not great at the finish & he is usually left alone at the trey line where he is reasonably efficient. He should only be playing guard & not SF IMHO. Personally, I would like the third guard to be either a legit backup PG or a more explosive scorer off the bench, but G is adequate as a hybrid. Roberson - He should be the third forward off the bench & with Jerami's back issues, he should be getting at least 15 MPG. Maybe he makes more system mistakes than does G at the F spot, but he also makes more plays. Gotta get this team outta the doldrums & take a chance with the potential playmaker up front. I won't even mention Buss & BJ - the Coach has made this a lost season for them.

Jimmy - I have said it all season long - nobody else could have coached this team to more wins, and nobody else would have had this team less prepared for adversity. Well, adversity is here - will the Coach at least try to make some late season adjustments ????
Jb gambled w this team and the bench. If grant and baye dont get injured his gamble probably pays off, but they did get injured and the results since speak for themselves. Most other major programs imo would give Roberson and Patterson 5-10 mins ea at least most games. Roberson clearly is a skilled player. We are undefeated in games he plays in first half and gives CJ and or Grant a blow. All three losses he did not play in first half. At the end of the day its JBs team and im fine w it. Lets get our second wind for tourney. Go Cuse!

I didn't realize I have my head in the sand because we have struggled a bit after starting 25-0. We were never a dominant team because he have flaws, but if we didn't lose to BC we would be fine right now. We stole the Pitt game and lost the BC game. People are overacting. Our halfcourt offense is sub-par, JB doesn't like film study, and we hear the same talking points. If we are a 1/2 seed in the tournament I could careless about the struggles as that is the coaches job to correct.

The 25 - 0 start was an illusion. We had lot's of luck and a few breaks here and there. In a "normal" year that start would have been 22 - 3 give or take a game or two. There is such a thing as a "look" test. This team has not passed the "look" test in the last month since the first Duke game. If a team doesn't look good, sooner or later things will average out. You can't play every game within one or two baskets and not expect more losses than we experienced.

Look at your own post, "Our halfcourt offense is sub-par, JB doesn't like film study, and we hear the same talking points. If we are a 1/2 seed in the tournament I could careless about the struggles as that is the coaches job to correct." Kinda begs the question - what is the Coach doing to correct ???? Since, obviously, if the struggles continue we don't go far when it counts.

Jb gambled w this team and the bench. If grant and baye dont get injured his gamble probably pays off, but they did get injured and the results since speak for themselves. Most other major programs imo would give Roberson and Patterson 5-10 mins ea at least most games. Roberson clearly is a skilled player. We are undefeated in games he plays in first half and gives CJ and or Grant a blow. All three losses he did not play in first half. At the end of the day its JBs team and im fine w it. Lets get our second wind for tourney. Go Cuse!
Even wo the injuries this team was playing tired for the past month. Yes, the 5 to 10 minutes for Roberson & Patterson might have changed the feel of this entire season for the better.

Even when we were 25 & 0, I posted that i would gladly have taken a couple of Ls for a better developed bench. Now is exactly the time when a better bench would be paying dividends.

The 25 - 0 start was an illusion. We had lot's of luck and a few breaks here and there. In a "normal" year that start would have been 22 - 3 give or take a game or two. There is such a thing as a "look" test. This team has not passed the "look" test in the last month since the first Duke game. If a team doesn't look good, sooner or later things will average out. You can't play every game within one or two baskets and not expect more losses than we experienced.

Look at your own post, "Our halfcourt offense is sub-par, JB doesn't like film study, and we hear the same talking points. If we are a 1/2 seed in the tournament I could careless about the struggles as that is the coaches job to correct." Kinda begs the question - what is the Coach doing to correct ???? Since, obviously, if the struggles continue we don't go far when it counts.
I don't blame JB as much as we are playing good teams who have made more plays than us. BC had no business beating us but they went 11 for 22 from 3 pt range and stall balled the crap out of us. Our offense struggles because Ennis doesn't push the ball in the transition and Cooney/Fair/Grant haven't been consistent enough together. We are still a top 10 team and have only played 1 game well on offense the Duke game and we are still 13-3 in ACC play. We need to go back and watch the Villanova game on tape and play offense like we did in that game. However, I don't have my head in the sand because I look at things on the whole and see 26-3 and 1 or 2 seed as a successful regular season. The success of the season will depend on how we do in the tournament.

I don't get how people on here think because we are struggling this team still can't win a NC. Look at team like Iowa they score easily and play a style people like to watch, but their defense sucks and they have 9 losses. However, because we suck offensively means this team is terrible and has no chance to win. I would rather win games than play like Iowa who is one of my favorite teams to watch.

Why is having is having confidence and believing in people equal to having one's head in the sand? If JB and our team had the confidence of many on this forum, we would have started 0-25.

LGO!

Why is having is having confidence and believing in people equal to having one's head in the sand? If JB and our team had the confidence of many on this forum, we would have started 0-25.

LGO!
Nothing wrong with what you say as long as the confidence is based upon something substantial. If you disagree with my OP, then please point out where you differ. If not, then please explain why I should have more confidence at this point in time despite my concerns.

I don't get how people on here think because we are struggling this team still can't win a NC. Look at team like Iowa they score easily and play a style people like to watch, but their defense sucks and they have 9 losses. However, because we suck offensively means this team is terrible and has no chance to win. I would rather win games than play like Iowa who is one of my favorite teams to watch.

My dad went to Iowa so huge Hawkeye fan too. It's just crazy watching us can't score and then watch Iowa can't stop anyone. What a roller coaster watching these two teams lately!

What is your definition of the word BIT ?? We also struggled a LOT to get to 25-0 !!

What is your definition of the word BIT ?? We also struggled a LOT to get to 25-0 !!
Our tempo is why we haven't scored more until these last 4 games we were shooting the ball well. Our adjusted offense is 21st in the country in points per possession. However, because we play at a slow pace our possessions are less which give us less chances to score. Our offense isn't terrible it struggled since the BC game to shoot well, but we still score on a point per possession.

Oh boy. SU is so bad, they should decline any NCAA bib as they will lose any first round game they play. Yest the team has problems. Everybody sees that. When the team is healthy and gets meaningful contributions from everybody, they are a tough out. When they are not healthy or get contributions, then they aren't so tough. They'll still win but closer games. Is Roberson the answer, tough to say without know the whole story. Unless you have seen practices that show he is worhty of playing more minutes then it hard to say. Kind of late to make drastic changes. Should he play more sounds good but is it really the answer? JB always goes with the known factor (even subpar Grant) versus the unkonw factor (Roberson for 20 minutes)

My biggest worries in order..

-Grants back. Not to go all Sparty but we NEED to get healthy.
-Cooneys shooting. If he's just "ok" we beat most teams. He has to stop being awful.
-CJ. He's a clutch version of KJo who can only go left. Not really a huge fan of his game but he's what we have to rely on.
-Ennis/Cooney defense. What, like really What did they call what they did when they didn't have the ball against UVA, it sure as hell wasn't defense.
-Losing MSG. I thought all along the fan presence and mystique of Carrier Dome South would mask some of our inefficiencies and get us to the F4.

Nothing wrong with what you say as long as the confidence is based upon something substantial. If you disagree with my OP, then please point out where you differ. If not, then please explain why I should have more confidence at this point in time despite my concerns.

Many valid points and thoughts you have in your OP. I just believe in our team. We have flaws as does every other team in the nation. Every team has played bad this year. Florida may look the best right now, but they just escaped a crappy Auburn team. The Ncaa's is a one and done tourney, who's to say other teams will play their best ball or have a bad night. Why is it assumed we will automatically be the ones to play bad? Take last night for example. Will a tourney game be senior night in front of a sold out home crowd with the chance to win a regular season conference title for the first time in 30 years? No, it will be a crowd in our favor since Orange Nation travels and is everywhere. Confident I am.

What was disappointing yesterday is that Virginia didn't stall that much and beat us in every facet of the game. The offense couldn't keep up (no surprise) but the defense got carved up in the 2H. I truly think it was as much of a fatigue factor as well as Virginia just out-executing and coaching us. Not the end of the world but concerning.

What was disappointing yesterday is that Virginia didn't stall that much and beat us in every facet of the game. The offense couldn't keep up (no surprise) but the defense got carved up in the 2H. I truly think it was as much of a fatigue factor as well as Virginia just out-executing and coaching us. Not the end of the world but concerning.
Teams that don't shoot threes well do so against us. Ennis and Cooney were guarding air yesterday.

You are correct that Grant's health is a huge concern. With respect to the rest of the comments, with a healthy grant, I do not think there is any doubt this is a top 5 team...defensively almost as good as last year's team and offensively more balanced with a superior point guard. Didn't last year's team lose 5 of the last 8 in regular season? Every team in America has flaws, Cuse included, but I like their chances, call it head in sand if you'd like.

Got my head in the sand I guess, but I agree with most of your post which was very good.. All I saw was us playing an excellent team even in the 1st half in front of a raucous Virginia crowd. Then JG sat and so did TE and we couldn't seem to get a call either. (not blaming the loss on the zebras). My theory is we simply met a better team Saturday and I feel in the 2nd half we kind of quit from exhaustion. I wish we were deeper but all in all, we have done better this year than I thought we would before the season started (shamefully Iggy saws I predicted 23-8).. I'm not seeing the sky falling yet.

Teams that don't shoot threes well do so against us. Ennis and Cooney were guarding air yesterday.

Yup. Actually they have been doing that quite often the past few weeks. Fatigue?

Yup. Actually they have been doing that quite often the past few weeks. Fatigue?
No one seems to mention our terrible rebounding lately, which is really the main reason we are struggling. Grant being hurt partly responsible for this but others have not stepped it up.
Obviously our offense could be better, but it really is what it has been all year. Our rebounding, and pursuit of loose balls(intensity) lately is not where it needs to be.

I have faith in JB to right the ship - a bad stretch or horrendous game seems (and injuries, etc) seems to happen almost yearly now, and somehow, come tourney time we're in good shape.

A couple of observations:
1) I think that the undefeated streak kept some players off the court - as JB goes with who he trusts in key situations. While he may not have gotten "caught up in it," I'm sure he wanted to ride the streak as long as it lasted and couldn't bring himself to live with the mistakes of unproven players (especially on the defensive end). Heck silent G wasn't getting any run in the second half of games for the better part of the start of the season. *disclaimer - I realize that Coach always keeps a short bench, and so this year should be no surprise - I just think that situations magnified this a little more this season.

2) One thing we've had in the past that we don't anymore is a sparkplug off the bench - no "instant offense guy." Coach doesn't have the luxury of keeping one of our most talented players out of the starting lineup to put in a la Dion, KJo, etc.

3) we cannot run a full court press, but our traps out of the half court zone are sometimes effective without automatically giving up a layup - I wonder if we couldn't do that once in awhile to surprise teams

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen ;)

THe thing about Cooney is, he almost NEVER misses badly. I feel like all of his misses rim in and out, it's gotta be frustrating for him to see some of his shots go half way down and out.

Oh boy. SU is so bad, they should decline any NCAA bib as they will lose any first round game they play. Yest the team has problems. Everybody sees that. When the team is healthy and gets meaningful contributions from everybody, they are a tough out. When they are not healthy or get contributions, then they aren't so tough. They'll still win but closer games. Is Roberson the answer, tough to say without know the whole story. Unless you have seen practices that show he is worhty of playing more minutes then it hard to say. Kind of late to make drastic changes. Should he play more sounds good but is it really the answer? JB always goes with the known factor (even subpar Grant) versus the unkonw factor (Roberson for 20 minutes)

3 point shooting defense and rebounding two biggest worries no matter who is on the court for Cuse. Not sure of the stats but our 3 point defense has some glaring issues (BC (both games), UVA, Duke,Baylor, Minnesota, Fordham, Colgate) that leave us vulnerable. Most teams (excluding the UNC game) eventually make some shots. No need to review rebounding after yesterday. In slow paced, low scoring games these two items seem to show their heads and keep lesser talented teams close. Part of playing slow paced games, minimal margin for error. Let's hope they can get things tuned around or we may only have another 3 weeks of the season.