Heard this from an SU student regarding Fab (invalid final) | Syracusefan.com

Heard this from an SU student regarding Fab (invalid final)

Jeremy L.

2018 Iggy Regular Season Record Winner
"His professor gave the class an invalid final and it got rescheduled this week. Nothing can move forward until all the finals are graded, grades are submitted, and Fab is cleared as academically eligible."

So maybe we are just waiting for his professor to grade and submit the finals.

"His professor gave the class an invalid final and it got rescheduled this week. Nothing can move forward until all the finals are graded, grades are submitted, and Fab is cleared as academically eligible."

What in the world is "an invalid final"?

Profs don't have to give finals at all if they so choose, correct? So how could anything they give be considered "invalid"?

Maybe alibrat or one of our other resident academics could chime in on this. I'm confused. And by "confused" I mean even more confused than I normally am.

Depending on the school, I'd assume (only because I don't attend Syracuse) that they have to give out finals. Invalid could possibly be anything such as an incorrect test brought that day. I really don't know what it means either, it's just what I've heard through the grape vine from a Syracuse student. But I too would like to hear from a current student.

It's BS as that would indicate Fab did nothing wrong which is incorrect. Until yesterday his chance of return was known to be slim which does not coincide with the whole class just having to retake a test

Profs don't have to give finals at all if they so choose, correct? So how could anything they give be considered "invalid"?

Maybe alibrat or one of our other resident academics could chime in on this. I'm confused. And by "confused" I mean even more confused than I normally am.

I assumed a little chinese kid was sitting in Fabs seat the day of the final...:)

So maybe we are just waiting for his professor to grade and submit the finals

This makes no sense to me. If this were the case, any tests would have been re-taken and graded and the issue resolved by now. No offense but I don't buy this explanation.

Nope

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

This makes no sense to me. If this were the case, any tests would have been re-taken and graded and the issue resolved by now. No offense but I don't buy this explanation.

Understandable lol. I'm not sure how an invalid final works, so I can't really confirm when the test would have been take again, so I understand.

Actually this is what is known as an invalid hypothesis.

Just graduated with my ejumakation. :) Most schools require some type of final be it a paper, project, written, fill in the blank, bubble, etc... Actually, many professors have tried to push their finals to the last day of classes to avoid finals week and schools have pushed backed requiring finals on finals week. I would assume that the invalid final would point towards either someone being caught cheating on the final, evidence of cheating has surfaced (i.e. FB chatter, twitter chatter, and I know prof's that haved surfed for that kind of thing), or there were multiple tests that showed a pattern (i.e. same essay answer, missed the same questions by using the same answer, large group of students scored the same, everyone scored high on the exam)

The big push in education now days is the desire to compile quantative data. Thus you hear the phrase, "teachers are teaching to the test" or teaching kids only what they will see on the test and nothing else. Data is used in keeping schools open/closing them, hiring/firing teachers, etc. It is also used in higher education for teachers to make "tenure". Schools track how many students fail or pass a class and prof's are rated on that scale. If to many pass, your a push over prof. who isn't doing there job/just making a salary and then you start to be monitored by the school. If to many students fail, same thing. A prof wants a smattering of grades with mostly higher level and only a few low level. Hope this helps.

Seems consistent with earlier rumors that answers were leaked for a final so they didn't count it. Seems like it would have been resolved way before this unless the prof had plane tickets to Florida for the break.

I don't remember if rrlJake debunked that one or not.

Seems consistent with earlier rumors that answers were leaked for a final so they didn't count it. Seems like it would have been resolved way before this unless the prof had plane tickets to Florida for the break.

I don't remember if rrlJake debunked that one or not.

debunked.

Where I have worked and taught, finals are NOT required. They are optional and at the professors' discretion. Finals can mean a comprehensive exam or a term paper, so there's some wiggle room in definition. Most faculty unions fight very strenuously for academic freedom regarding how instructors assess their classes.

It means that the answers got out, or the integrity of the test was compromised.

Translation:
For Fab's Lambada 101 class final exam dance-off, the instructor mistakenly only brought rhumba music and no one could get their steps down.

Did I miss something?
I was laughing at OP basically. It's kind of funny that alot of people come out of the woodwork with "I talked to Fab" or "my friend is in Fabs class" and then you, bees or Jake dismiss them immediately.

I was by no means insulting you, my apologies if you took it that way.

I was laughing at OP basically. It's kind of funny that alot of people come out of the woodwork with "I talked to Fab" or "my friend is in Fabs class" and then you, bees or Jake dismiss them immediately.

No I wasnt, all good. I just hate missing a joke!

Lol I didn't mention at all that he was in Fab's class or he knows a friend in his class or anything like that. And I said maybe we are waiting for that to clear up, so at this point it's a rumor. I've heard two Syracuse students say that was the issue, so this is only a story from the grapevine. Don't assume that the source knows a friend or whatever, because clearly it doesn't say that in the quote at all.

Maybe Zach T's grandmother can write a letter on Fab's behalf

All I know is if I took a final before winter break over a month ago and came back second semester to find out that the only way I could get credit for a class I already took was to take the final again, I would tell the school to themselves.

This is in relation to the rumor stating an entire class had to take a final over, etc.

I'm currently a college student, and towards the end of last semester when my human growth and development professor was giving us details on our final prior to finals week, he told us that the only reason he was even giving us a final was because he was required to. I'm not sure if that policy varies by institution, but I know that my schools requires final examinations of all courses. Hope this helps...

All I know is if I took a final before winter break over a month ago and came back second semester to find out that the only way I could get credit for a class I already took was to take the final again, I would tell the school to themselves.

This is in relation to the rumor stating an entire class had to take a final over, etc.

It is not entirely unheard of for the school to require a test to be retaken if the integrity of the exam was compromised.

There was an incident at my school where several students got a hold of copies of the test questions and answers from a national test bank. Test banks are often created by the publishers of text books, and provided to professors to use if they wish. The professor of this class was particularly lazy and did not create his own exams, but instead just select 50 or 100 out of the 400 so questions provided by the test bank.

Because of abnormally high scores on the exam and later discovery of the exam questions being accessed, the entire exam was thrown out. The whole class was required to retake the exam. This was a large class of like 300 or 400 students (multiple sections).

FWIW, several of my professors spoke out in class against that other professor (the prof in question was from the business school, while my prof's were in mathematics). They basically mocked him for his inability an laziness in creating his own exam. The weren't at all admonishing of the students that used a 400 question practice test to study from. If you take the time to study and memorize 400 practice questions, it sounds a hell of a lot like studying to me.

I'm currently a college student, and towards the end of last semester when my professor was giving us details on our final prior to finals week, he told us that the only reason he was even giving us a final was because he was required to. I'm not sure if that policy varies by institution, but I know that my schools requires final examinations of all courses. Hope this helps...
Requirements for final exams are typically determined at the specific department level.

However, the final exam didn't have to be comprehensive, it just had to be administered during the allotted final exam time. I had a few professors that just gave their last midterm during that time period. Looking back, I'm glad a few of my classes weren't comprehensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom