Hearing that the new assistants have been hired... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hearing that the new assistants have been hired...

i doubt it took as long as we think it did. we just dont have an official way of knowing because the post standard is horrible.

also heard that we prob arent going to hire a ST coach. marrone will handle that.

If SU isn't going to go on the record, what do they have to report? They could ask the coaches in question, but I don't know if it would be in their best interest to discuss their situation either.

Why not let the program and the individuals involved manage it the way they see fit. We'll know soon enough, until then it just doesn't matter.

January 04, 2010:
Steve Morrison’s popularity among his players and colleagues couldn’t save him from an unpleasant bottom line:
His Western Michigan University defense ranked 102nd out of 120 teams in college football’s top division last season and WMU’s disappointing 5-7 record reflected those woes.
Morrison won’t be back as defensive coordinator, head coach Bill Cubit confirmed Sunday, though the move had been rumored for weeks after Cubit fired two other defensive assistants and made clear he was taking a hard look at his entire program.
The same article also indicates that...

Edit: I misread the publication date of the referenced article which led to some erroneous conclusions. Those conclusions have been removed. My apologies.

also heard that we prob arent going to hire a ST coach. marrone will handle that.

STUPID!!!

Why is that, seems to work for Frank Beamer, if that's the way they are going.

The same article also indicates that Tim Daoust has returned to WMU:
So, Cali, hopefully this will help convince you that he's no longer on the Syracuse staff.

That's just mean.

STUPID!!!

You wanted a dedicated ST coach (instead of 3 coaches handling it piecemeal).

Well, now we have a dedicated ST coach.

From the Eastern Michigan Site Morrison is responsible for the following recruiting areas:

Steve Morrison Huron County
Lapeer County
Macomb County
Oakland County
Sanilac County
St. Clair County
Tuscola County

Steve Morrison
Washington DC
Military Schools
New Jersey
Prep Schools

Wonder what took so long, if true.
Perhaps HCDM only wants to make a single announcement to address all of the coaching changes.

Perhaps the other new coach(es) are coming from the NFL. It's also possible that the other coach(es) that are coming may wish to delay the announcement until after LOI day. Who knows?

From the Eastern Michigan Site Morrison is responsible for the following recruiting areas:

Steve Morrison Huron County
Lapeer County
Macomb County
Oakland County
Sanilac County
St. Clair County
Tuscola County

Steve Morrison
Washington DC
Military Schools
New Jersey
Prep Schools

FWIW, Eastern Mich has zero players from NJ.

The syr.edu directory lists Steven Morrison as an assistant football coach:

Steven C Morrison Athletics-Football Assistant Team Coach 560-4586

Well then, assuming no other changes, we have room for one more coach.

Marrone: HC, ST
Shafer: DC, DB?
Daoust: DL
Morrison: LB
Anselmo: DB
Hackett: OC, QB, TE
Adkins: OL
Wheatley: RB
Moore: WR

What position do we hire for? Hackett is the only guy who seems overloaded, so I would guess there will be changes there.

Bees, was this the guy that was the "splash" guy we would want?
I have a feeling there's a better hire coming...? Not that he's bad, per se.

I think this is a good hire considering how we have really amped up recruiting in Michigan. I would really like to see someone take the load off of hackett at either TE or QB. He is handling way too much. Also, I hope the next guy can recruit either Georgia for us or DC/Maryland area.

Go has just gone on record setting the bar for Marrone's special teams coaching performance at Frank Beamer, ladies and gentlemen.

Marrone would make sense at specials if he brings in the type of assistant on offense that with the 2nd hire that many believe he will, which would remove Doug's involvement with the offense considerably

Marrone would make sense at specials if he brings in the type of assistant on offense that with the 2nd hire that many believe he will, which would remove Doug's involvement with the offense considerably
THE FRIDGE!

Or any experienced, proven OC whom Marrone trusts and doesn't require on-the-job training.

Well then, assuming no other changes, we have room for one more coach.

Marrone: HC, ST
Shafer: DC, DB?
Daoust: DL
Morrison: LB
Anselmo: DB
Hackett: OC, QB, TE
Adkins: OL
Wheatley: RB
Moore: WR

What position do we hire for? Hackett is the only guy who seems overloaded, so I would guess there will be changes there.

Ive heard we will be hiring a TE coach soon, if it hasn't happened already.

So Morrison LB, Marrone ST, ?? TE.

That is specifically what I was told. However, IMO from gathering info from the exact same person - I would say its not out of the realm of possibility that we hire a ST coach and marrone or someone else handles the TE's.

Bees, was this the guy that was the "splash" guy we would want?
I have a feeling there's a better hire coming...? Not that he's bad, per se.

I wouldn't get the hopes up for a splash hire as we're talking low level assistants. Personally I was hoping for an ACC type guy who shows up on the top 25 assistant coaches recruiting lists. Guys like Stan Drayton.

Given that our QB core isn't amazing to begin with, it'd make sense to spend more time with the QBs, rather than loading Hackett with a triple load.

Given that our QB core isn't amazing to begin with, it'd make sense to spend more time with the QBs, rather than loading Hackett with a triple load.

Hackett's duties on paper will be lightened for sure, just a question of how much with the new hire. If they hire a new TE coach and Marrone takes over specials, he may be taking another step in the direction of being a full blown OC, which in my opinion he hasn't been yet. As opposing coaches have vocalized, it has been Marrone's offense

You're right there... I guess if DM then becomes the sole ST coach and no committee then ok, especially if he brings in people who don't need to be micromanaged on both sides of the ball. I think there needs to be one focal point for ST, and someone to rally the troops on gameday...

The syr.edu directory lists Steven Morrison as an assistant football coach:

Steven C Morrison Athletics-Football Assistant Team Coach 560-4586
Nice find.

You're right there... I guess if DM then becomes the sole ST coach and no committee then ok, especially if he brings in people who don't need to be micromanaged on both sides of the ball. I think there needs to be one focal point for ST, and someone to rally the troops on gameday...

I think this will be the plan and it appears that maybe efforts for a big hire may have failed but it could have been more a big name/ recruiter than say a coordintaor. That said, Marrone really likes Hackett, I know that will shock most but it's true

And Schiano coaches ST at RU.
Weren't these the 2 teams we used as a standard to aspire to?

Edit: my comments were based on assumptions based on an old article. I missed the fact that it was on old article. My comments have been removed. My apologies if this caused others to be misled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom