Hearing that the new assistants have been hired... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hearing that the new assistants have been hired...

Daoust is gone. He went back to WMU as indicated in a prior posting.

Hook, line and sinker...

Ok, I just realized that it was you that first reported Daoust no longer being on staff. I figured that it was somebody else messing with Cali.

So, no Doaust is still on the staff - the article is from 2010.

I think this will be the plan and it appears that maybe efforts for a big hire may have failed but it could have been more a big name/ recruiter than say a coordintaor. That said, Marrone really likes Hackett, I know that will shock most but it's true
Don't like that... Think that could have reinvigorated some of the laissez faire attitudes around here!

Was this at DM's urging? I totally missed that thread. I thought he was the reason JB was let go... Future DC they said?

If true, this looks like a horrible hire on paper to me. Also, Doug shouldn't be coaching unit. He needs to work on being CEO first and foremost.

Frankly, if it goes down like this, I'm putting as much blame on Gross as Doug. The program is at/approaching a very critical point. The ship needs to be righted no questions asked coming out of next season. To let Doug hire someone like this and take on other responsibilities other than being the top dog seems foolish.

If true, this looks like a horrible hire on paper to me. Also, Doug shouldn't be coaching unit. He needs to work on being CEO first and foremost.

Frankly, if it goes down like this, I'm putting as much blame on Gross as Doug. The program is at/approaching a very critical point. The ship needs to be righted no questions asked coming out of next season. To let Doug hire someone like this and take on other responsibilities other than being the top dog seems foolish.

I'm not sure how this is a horrible hire. It's not exciting or program-altering, but getting a youngish guy with experience as a Recruiting Coordinator and Defensive Coordinator at the Division 1 level with previous positive working experience with our Defensive Coordinator is not horrible on paper.

Come on man! Stop confusing people. This is how board meltdowns start.

Daoust isn't going anywhere, especially WMU.

He had the opportunity to leave for increased responsibility and he turned it down.

I think this will be the plan and it appears that maybe efforts for a big hire may have failed but it could have been more a big name/ recruiter than say a coordintaor. That said, Marrone really likes Hackett, I know that will shock most but it's true

People don't want to hear it, it's not a lay up getting guys to come here.

I'm not sure how this is a horrible hire. It's not exciting or program-altering, but getting a youngish guy with experience as a Recruiting Coordinator and Defensive Coordinator at the Division 1 level with previous positive working experience with our Defensive Coordinator is not horrible on paper.

Again, on paper:

- Doesn't appear to have strong ties to SU's recruiting hotbeds
- Hasn't been apart of steller defenses by the numbers
- Not really a "wow" name

Hey, guy could come in and be the best coach we have. What the hell do I know.

But if you suscribe to the idea that Marrone's seat is getting warm, bet you'd agree the hires this offseason should have been near home runs.

But if you suscribe to the idea that Marrone's seat is getting warm, bet you'd agree the hires this offseason should have been near home runs.
I seriously doubt that we can offer the kind of money that makes a home-run hire possible, even in theory.

I seriously doubt that we can offer the kind of money that makes a home-run hire possible, even in theory.

That's fair, if you're taking about hiring say Ray Lewis away from an NFL contract. However homerun could also have meant someone who has been recruiting PA or NJ well for an established east coast program. Someone who brings us instant credibility in regions we need help. That kind of hire could very well have been paid for.

I concur. Good sleuthing...
Yes, nice work team. As suspected, another Shafer man added to the fold on the defensive side. He knows Scott's system and should have a lot of experience coaching up LBs to play in it. If the defense fails, one thing is for sure: the buck stops with Scott Shafer. As for the 2nd hire, I would like a special team coach with a lot of experience or better yet, a top notch recruiter with a background in the NJ and DC metro areas. That would be a nice fit.

People don't want to hear it, it's not a lay up getting guys to come here.

You will get no argument from me here, I would like to see the staff recruit better and hiring positions coaches at Syracuse isn't easy. We have seen what great recruiters who are position coaches are getting in the open market. it's Marrone's team he can hire as he sees fit. He probably hasn't been able to hire quite a few guys that he wanted to like O'Brien. At the end of the day, it's his ass on the line, not mine. Unless the new assistants are STUD recruiters, I don't think it will make a huge difference. Unfortunately, with the current budget, we have to hire guys like Hackett and pray they turn into great recruiters.

Thre are very few assistants that will excite people at this point, none of us knew that Wheatley would be our best recruiter 2 years ago bit on the flip side a guy like Brian Angelichio probably should have and could have been picked up last year, hell he has more experience as an OC than Hackett as well as experience as a recruiter in good geographic areas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom