Hello from a first time Clemson visitor! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hello from a first time Clemson visitor!

Wow! I go to work for a few hours and come back to see that I have created quite a stir! You guys are definitely ok... must be the orange.

I'm taking down the addresses for all these tailgates and will try to get by to say "hello." We're actually staying in Armory Square so it sounds like we'll be able to walk to a lot of these recommended venues.

I look forward to meeting some of you!

Wow! I go to work for a few hours and come back to see that I have created quite a stir! You guys are definitely ok... must be the orange.

I'm taking down the addresses for all these tailgates and will try to get by to say "hello." We're actually staying in Armory Square so it sounds like we'll be able to walk to a lot of these recommended venues.

Armory will be a good spot for you on Friday and Saturday nights.

It is about a 1.5 mile walk from Armory Square to the Fine Lot tailgate. Doable but you might just take a cab.

Armory will be a good spot for you on Friday and Saturday nights.

We're getting in too late on Friday to do much of anything. Charlotte had a 10:15 PM flight for around $130 so I went with it. Everything else was close to double that. I plan to hang out late Saturday and about half the day Sunday though. We're renting a car Sunday and taking off on a New England "leaf tour" until Thursday. This is shaping up to be a great trip!

We're getting in too late on Friday to do much of anything. Charlotte had a 10:15 PM flight for around $130 so I went with it. Everything else was close to double that. I plan to hang out late Saturday and about half the day Sunday though. We're renting a car Sunday and taking off on a New England "leaf tour" until Thursday. This is shaping up to be a great trip!
Just got back from the Adirondack's the colors were spectacular.

Ok... New York is not New England so I would selfishly suggest staying in NY for your leaf peeping. I would recommend the Adirondacks. I was there this past weekend and it was nice and close to peak. This site says this weekend will be good: http://fallgetaways.iloveny.com/LANDING_FOLIAGE_REPORT.html

Or, take in the Finger Lakes (I like Seneca Lake the best or Keuka) for some great wine tasting to go along with the scenery. Both are well within 2 hours away depending on the exact spot.

Like others have said. The adirondacks. A rustic gem. The fall foliage there is as good if not better than anywhere on earth. L One of my favorite places on earth. A little bias. But Charleston scis one of my other favorites so I'm not 100% bias.

Ok... New York is not New England so I would selfishly suggest staying in NY for your leaf peeping. I would recommend the Adirondacks. I was there this past weekend and it was nice and close to peak. This site says this weekend will be good: http://fallgetaways.iloveny.com/LANDING_FOLIAGE_REPORT.html

Or, take in the Finger Lakes (I like Seneca Lake the best or Keuka) for some great wine tasting to go along with the scenery. Both are well within 2 hours away depending on the exact spot.

It would suit me fine to stay in NY all week. My wife has told me many times and in no uncertain terms that she WILL eat lobster on this trip and that she WILL eat it on or near the coast of Maine. Once football is over I think I better aim for Maine if I know what's good for me. I was also hoping to take in a show at the Stone Mountain Arts Center in Brownfield, ME but they don't have anything on their schedule next week. I guess I'll have to come back on my terms sometime, eh?

I was in Weston, VT last weekend and it was absolutely beautiful even if it was pre-peak colors. I suggest driving from Syracuse to Lake Placid, then continue on to Burlington, VT then down I-89. The scenery on that itinerary will be unbeatable, imho.

It would suit me fine to stay in NY all week. My wife has told me many times and in no uncertain terms that she WILL eat lobster on this trip and that she WILL eat it on or near the coast of Maine. Once football is over I think I better aim for Maine if I know what's good for me. I was also hoping to take in a show at the Stone Mountain Arts Center in Brownfield, ME but they don't have anything on their schedule next week. I guess I'll have to come back on my terms sometime, eh?

Portland has some excellent restaurants (try the Front Room on Congress Street if you're anywhere near that part of the state). Bit of a haul from Central New York, but Maine's beautiful at this time of year.

Can help you with Maine. Spend summers there. What is your itenarary ?

Last edited:
I was in Weston, VT last weekend and it was absolutely beautiful even if it was pre-peak colors. I suggest driving from Syracuse to Lake Placid, then continue on to Burlington, VT then down I-89. The scenery on that itinerary will be unbeatable, imho.
Agree...given the comments about Maine that it makes sense to drive to Lake Placid first and take in the Adirondacks.

Bit of a haul from Central New York, but Maine's beautiful at this time of year.
Yeah..a lot of people don't realize how big NY State is. Might be more of a haul than some out-of-staters think. The quickest way to Portland is 6 hours each way. Through Lake Placid (north then south) would be 9 hours.

We're vacationing until Thursday and then will be flying home from Providence, RI so we don't have to backtrack to fly back to the south.

We're vacationing until Thursday and then will be flying home from Providence, RI so we don't have to backtrack to fly back to the south.
Ahhh... makes sense.

Portland Maine - real nice. For seafood - J's Oyster - OMG

Yeah..a lot of people don't realize how big NY State is. Might be more of a haul than some out-of-staters think. The quickest way to Portland is 6 hours each way. Through Lake Placid (north then south) would be 9 hours.
But, if it's a scenic driving trip, which it sounds like, that is 3 additional hours that are well worth it. Lake Placid is such a cool town. It's amazing that such a small town has hosted 2 Winter Olympics. And the fact that you can just walk around the venues makes it even cooler. We went up last fall for a weekend and just out of coincidence, the Bobsled World Cup was in town. We got free admission by bringing a non-perishable food item and then got to stand on the rail of a turn and watch all of the Olympic Men's Bobsled teams compete. We hung around at the tent a little afterwards where the teams were hanging out signing autographs and talking to fans. And then there's the scenery...

Portland has some excellent restaurants (try the Front Room on Congress Street if you're anywhere near that part of the state). Bit of a haul from Central New York, but Maine's beautiful at this time of year.
I really liked portland when I was there. Great little city.

That's if you don't hit traffic on the mass turnpike.

But, if it's a scenic driving trip, which it sounds like, that is 3 additional hours that are well worth it. Lake Placid is such a cool town. It's amazing that such a small town has hosted 2 Winter Olympics. And the fact that you can just walk around the venues makes it even cooler. We went up last fall for a weekend and just out of coincidence, the Bobsled World Cup was in town. We got free admission by bringing a non-perishable food item and then got to stand on the rail of a turn and watch all of the Olympic Men's Bobsled teams compete. We hung around at the tent a little afterwards where the teams were hanging out signing autographs and talking to fans. And then there's the scenery...
The ausable river is magnificent. Beautiful area.

That's if you don't hit traffic on the mass turnpike.
There's also more than one way across NE from Lake Placid. Like I said in my first post, if you drive from Lake Placid to Burlington, VT then down I-89 across VT and NH, it's a nice altnernative to I-90 and all of the crazies on that corridor and nicer scenery and towns, imo.

There's also more than one way across NE from Lake Placid. Like I said in my first post, if you drive from Lake Placid to Burlington, VT then down I-89 across VT and NH, it's a nice altnernative to I-90 and all of the crazies on that corridor and nicer scenery and towns, imo.
Right. That's the 9 hour trip.

Right. That's the 9 hour trip.
Like I said, it's worth it in my opinion, and you are guaranteed to not hit any traffic backups, which you can't say about I-90. You can also knock some mileage off by taking a ferry across Lake Champlain (little known fact: home to the oldest known coral reef) instead of going up and over. It won't save any time, but it's a nice respite from driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom