Here is what to look for... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Here is what to look for...

i thought a donor stepped up

so big eddie took all the remaining budget that was for the rest of the roster AND the extra money given by a donor?

for real?
You’re exactly right. If a donor stepped up, the previously existing funds should still be available. Seems like a convenient excuse to suggest the Lampkin situation will prevent us from carrying out our plans. It doesn’t add up.

Would it be crazy to take a flyer on a 2024 kid? Maybe a Euro or potentia kid that has fallen through cracks or commit to a smaller school that hasn’t enrolled yet? If it’s going to be a body why not. Maybe someone pans out

If our NIL fund is that small, we are hurting in that area more than I imagined.

Calipari is guaranteed $5 Million a year for NIL. Not saying we are in that atmosphere, but anything half of that for teams on our level seriously eliminates a lot of opportunities.
Calipari has Walmart and Jerry Jones providing him with a lot of money. We aren’t so lucky.

You’re exactly right. If a donor stepped up, the previously existing funds should still be available. Seems like a convenient excuse to suggest the Lampkin situation will prevent us from carrying out our plans. It doesn’t add up.
We don't have enough info and we are just speculating myself included. It could be that we had X+Y+Z in the NIL reserve and Eddie asked for 2X+3Y, so a donor contributed X+2Y, Eddie got his 2X+3Y and stays and we are left with Z which is $4.99, and it does add up, just that $4.99 is barely enough for a Wendy's Frosty plus NYC sales tax.

Last edited:
At this point it’s not about $’s it’s about the fit. Need guys that want to compete for time and make the team better.

No offense to the top guys left in the portal. They have more talent, no disputing that. They just may not have any interest in sharing back courts or front courts with what we’re currently sitting with. There’s a lot of guards and alot of young talent and possible talent coming off injury.

Autry has made it pretty clear that the Guard position is going it be a free for all. That may not be appealing for the top Guards left in the portal. We got a while to wait to see if it works.

thought i was replying to you on my last post..the b-ball guys usually don't attend may-mester.. freshmen roll in mid june for a couple weeks..there's a little lull around july 4th. But that was the past. Will be interesting to see how Red treats summer break. Hopefully we have a guy or 2 attending some camps. Could see chris bell getting an invite somewhere. Otherwise we need these guys locked in the melo center together. Gotta build that chemistry

Summer session 1 started today.

We don't have enough info and we are just speculating myself included. It could be that we had X+Y+Z in the NIL reserve and Eddie asked for 2X+3Y, so a donor contributed X+2Y, Eddie got his 2X+3Y and stays and we are left with Z which is $4.99, and it does add up, just that $4.99 is barely enough for a Wendy's Frosty plus NYC sales tax.
We’re talking about a $250-300k raise for Lampkin. That would mean our remaining NIL reserve was less. We weren’t getting two good players - a guard and a forward - for that amount.

And if a donor stepping up equates to as much as half or as little as $50k…While that’s generous and not nothing, it also says a lot about the state of our donor pool. Not in a good way.

Cant be upset with middle of the road results.

I’d love to know the teams above us and the corresponding results… we’ve certainly seen teams spend like crazy and do nothing with it.

Calipari has Walmart and Jerry Jones providing him with a lot of money. We aren’t so lucky.
We had one in Adam W. He brought Gronk, Tom Brady, etc.and then we killed the Golden Goose. I understand our AD JW maybe was not on board, but clearly JB was a fan. He alone could have solved any of the funding issues we have for hoops. If I am the AD, I figure out how to keep him in the fold and engaged, he is a huge SU fan. No creativity. We also needed a way to keep Jesse E big mistake #2. Hope losing our whole Soph class is not mistake #3. Typically I’m glass half full but something seems off right now in our portal and transfer strategy. Like the 2 Freshman we are bringing in for the record.

We had one in Adam W. He brought Gronk, Tom Brady, etc.and then we killed the Golden Goose. I understand our AD JW maybe was not on board, but clearly JB was a fan. He alone could have solved any of the funding issues we have for hoops. If I am the AD, I figure out how to keep him in the fold and engaged, he is a huge SU fan. No creativity. We also needed a way to keep Jesse E big mistake #2. Hope losing our whole Soph class is not mistake #3. Typically I’m glass half full but something seems off right now in our portal and transfer strategy. Like the 2 Freshman we are bringing in for the record.
Maybe I’m naive but why can’t the billionaire give money anonymously?

Maybe I’m naive but why can’t the billionaire give money anonymously?
If you got a big donor donating big money and hes playing by the rules i wouldnt be telling him how to paint his picture. He brought positive publicity at a time when the team desperately needed some kind of pulse. He doesn’t need Syracuse, Syracuse could sure use him though. And he’s still out with the big celebrities at pro games doing his thing and what makes him happy. I think he’s misunderstood.

Nil does not directly correlate with results. There’s teams that shell out a lot that stink, and teams with our payroll that are killing it. Maybe we should have spent our money more judiciously and got a better player for what we spent on Lampkin.
I think style fit is the most important and probably why Lampkin was someone they didn't want to lose. Clearly they value his low-post game and passing ability. Between him and Carlos I think Bell and Starling will get a ton of clean looks.

I think style fit is the most important and probably why Lampkin was someone they didn't want to lose. Clearly they value his low-post game and passing ability. Between him and Carlos I think Bell and Starling will get a ton of clean looks.
Hopefully he has a big year. We are paying him a similar amount to what St. John’s is paying Kadary.

Nil does not directly correlate with results. There’s teams that shell out a lot that stink, and teams with our payroll that are killing it. Maybe we should have spent our money more judiciously and got a better player for what we spent on Lampkin.
It's tough to know for sure without real transparency akin to pro leagues. But with us being mediocre for so long and Red still working to establish a track record, I would not be surprised if our number for Lampkin had to be higher than it was for other schools.

Once Red starts making tournaments regularly and getting guys drafted (ideally in the lottery, at least the first round) we'll become more desirable and not have to overpay for a good-not-great transfer like Lampkin. Playing time is important, but we'll need to offer more than that for the kind of guys that will put us over the top.

Last edited:
I’d love to know the teams above us and the corresponding results… we’ve certainly seen teams spend like crazy and do nothing with it.
I'm afraid college basketball will become like Major League Baseball where the big market/big spending teams don't always win but they give themselves a better opportunity to win titles.

A smaller spending team can still win a championship but almost everything has to turn out right and big money spent on a player that doesn't perform or gets hurt can ruin your season.

I'm afraid college basketball will become like Major League Baseball where the big market/big spending teams don't always win but they give themselves a better opportunity to win titles.

A smaller spending team can still win a championship but almost everything has to turn out right and big money spent on a player that doesn't perform or gets hurt can ruin your season.

It’s always been that way. The only difference is that paying them is now not against NCAA rules.

Last edited:
Its always been that way. The only difference is that paying them is now not against NCA rules.
That may be true but the difference between the lower, middle, and top NIL schools is growing bigger.

The lower conferences and teams will lower NIL have become basically the minor leagues for talented basketball players to prove their abilities and cash in later at a bigger NIL school.

The teams will more NIL can afford to overpay players and make more mistakes to who they give their money.

That may be true but the difference between the lower, middle, and top NIL schools is growing bigger.

The lower conferences and teams will lower NIL have become basically the minor leagues for talented basketball players to prove their abilities and cash in later at a bigger NIL school.

The teams will more NIL can afford to overpay players and make more mistakes to who they give their money.
I don’t think the data backs this up. Mid majors have had more success recently than ever. It only feels this way because we have stunk for so long and thats due to other factors outside of NIL.

And Tyson chicken
Walmart, chicken farms and cowboy Jerry
Arky, the land of resources. So ironic, I drove through that state on my way to Dallas and it was the most ugly downtrodden part of the trip.
Tenny and Kentucky were pretty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom