Here's the difference between SU and Missouri this week | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Here's the difference between SU and Missouri this week

Mizzou Fan here, coming in peace.

I just wanted to give you guys a scouting report on Mizzou from a student's perspective. I am from Missouri, and a Senior Journalism student here in Columbia. I did highly consider coming up to Syracuse, though, for your Sport's J program.

Anyways, this season has been a major disappointment for the Tigers, as far as most Tiger fans go. Many people in Columbia really thought our team had a chance to take the SEC by storm. Unfortunately, that did not happen. However, IMO, our record does not indicate the talent that is on Mizzou roster.

We started the season without one of the best running backs in college football in Henry Josey. He is still recovering from suffering a literal blown out knee (ACL, MCL, the works). In fall camp, we lost two offensive lineman for the season, and two more senior starting lineman in the first two games.

Our Quarterback, James Franklin, came into the season coming off shoulder surgery. He only had a couple weeks of practice in Fall camp before game started and was not 100% when he did. He only played two games (SE Louisiana and Georgia) before re-aggravating his shoulder. He missed the ASU game, returned for the UCF game, and then only played two series against Vandy before hurting his knee. He is finally starting to show signs of recovering from his injury as he was the reason we won that game against Tennesse in the second half and overtime.

I am under the full belief that if Franklin was healthy all season, the Tigers would have had a totally different season. We had Georgia on the ropes, and if not for a dropped Hail Mary in the endzone at the end of the 1st half, and two turnover inside our own 20, we may have won. The Vandy game would have been an easy W if Franklin was in (we were moving the ball with ease until his exit early in the first). And, if Franklin could have stepped into his throws against Florida, we would have pulled an upset in the Swamp. So, the Tigers could have easily been sitting at 7-3 or 8-2 at this point.

But, injuries happen to every team, and all of the talk about what could have been is merely trivial. The Tigers have a golden opportunity to salvage something from this season if we can win one of our last two games and go to a bowl game. I think that this Saturday is the Tigers best chance, since we have to travel to College Station and play Johnny Football and the Aggies next weekend.

I think this is going to be a great game this weekend between two teams fighting for a chance to go to a bowl. Good luck on Saturday and may the best team win.

P.S. I wish this game was a basketball matchup. The Tigers are loaded on the hardwood this year.

I just wanted to give you guys a scouting report on Mizzou from a student's perspective. I am from Missouri, and a Senior Journalism student here in Columbia. I did highly consider coming up to Syracuse, though, for your Sport's J program.

Anyways, this season has been a major disappointment for the Tigers, as far as most Tiger fans go. Many people in Columbia really thought our team had a chance to take the SEC by storm. Unfortunately, that did not happen. However, IMO, our record does not indicate the talent that is on Mizzou roster.

We started the season without one of the best running backs in college football in Henry Josey. He is still recovering from suffering a literal blown out knee (ACL, MCL, the works). In fall camp, we lost two offensive lineman for the season, and two more senior starting lineman in the first two games.

Our Quarterback, James Franklin, came into the season coming off shoulder surgery. He only had a couple weeks of practice in Fall camp before game started and was not 100% when he did. He only played two games (SE Louisiana and Georgia) before re-aggravating his shoulder. He missed the ASU game, returned for the UCF game, and then only played two series against Vandy before hurting his knee. He is finally starting to show signs of recovering from his injury as he was the reason we won that game against Tennesse in the second half and overtime.

I am under the full belief that if Franklin was healthy all season, the Tigers would have had a totally different season. We had Georgia on the ropes, and if not for a dropped Hail Mary in the endzone at the end of the 1st half, and two turnover inside our own 20, we may have won. The Vandy game would have been an easy W if Franklin was in (we were moving the ball with ease until his exit early in the first). And, if Franklin could have stepped into his throws against Florida, we would have pulled an upset in the Swamp. So, the Tigers could have easily been sitting at 7-3 or 8-2 at this point.

But, injuries happen to every team, and all of the talk about what could have been is merely trivial. The Tigers have a golden opportunity to salvage something from this season if we can win one of our last two games and go to a bowl game. I think that this Saturday is the Tigers best chance, since we have to travel to College Station and play Johnny Football and the Aggies next weekend.

I think this is going to be a great game this weekend between two teams fighting for a chance to go to a bowl. Good luck on Saturday and may the best team win.

P.S. I wish this game was a basketball matchup. The Tigers are loaded on the hardwood this year.

Thanks for the post.

the sane fans on this board know that Mizzou is talented and can kick our @sses all over the field on Saturday. Especially at night with a fired up crowd. It'll take a crisp mistake free game for Syracuse to win.

i was worried about the weather for this game but it looks like it's going to be nice football weather. 50's / 40's zero precipitation and no wind.

Mizzou will have to shoot the three like they did last year to have a chance against Cuse. Glad that Bowers is back, though.

No one expected Josey to play this year.

You have a higher opinion of Franklin that I do. I think he played well in the second half and OT last week because the Vols are that bad on defense.

At the end of the day, Pinkel is still the head coach, and he can hurt Mizzou as much as anyone.

BTW, this is also the annual "Blackout" game. The fans will be even more raucous than usual.

BTW, this is also the annual "Blackout" game. The fans will be even more raucous than usual.

It is their Senior Day, at night, "Blackout", they have to win this game since @TAMU, where we have Temple to fall back on.

I will be really impressed if Syracuse wins this game.

I'm a Mizzou season ticket holder, so maybe I can offer up some perspective...

Franklin is not a good quarterback, even when he's healthy. Don't read too much into the Tennesee game. Mizzou should not be running the spread offense, they should be running the option or pounding the football. Their defense would be shutting teams down if they didn't have to keep trotting onto the field after all the three and outs.

But that defense is what gives the Tigers the edge IMO. Anyone who thinks the Georgia loss was a blowout didn't watch the game. Pinkel and Franklin gave it away in the fourth quarter. Mizzou should have won, just like they should have beat Florida. They can be very good when their defense dictates the tempo.

I didn't like our chances a couple months ago when we were struggling to beat Stony Brook. I feel better about the game now, but I still consider Mizzou the favorite. We need to jump out to a big lead. We probably need to count on a few turnovers from Franklin and a couple of stupid calls from Pinkel as well.

You should hope we knock Franklin out of the game because we can't seem to beat second string QB's!

Mizzou will be the third best team we face this year and it is an away game. The other two were home and "second home" games.

Forget about jumping out to a big lead as I doubt this team will let that happen again. One USF game is enough.

Let's hope for a good game and that everyone comes out healthy.

Thanks for visiting.

You should hope we knock Franklin out of the game because we can't seem to beat second string QB's!

Mizzou will be the third best team we face this year and it is an away game. The other two were home and "second home" games.

Forget about jumping out to a big lead as I doubt this team will let that happen again. One USF game is enough.

Let's hope for a good game and that everyone comes out healthy.

Thanks for visiting.

I'm a Syracuse fan first and foremost. Read my post again.

I'm a Syracuse fan first and foremost. Read my post again.

Apologies, I did not catch that. But we still can't beat second string QB's!

Mizzou will have to shoot the three like they did last year to have a chance against Cuse. Glad that Bowers is back, though.

No one expected Josey to play this year.

You have a higher opinion of Franklin that I do. I think he played well in the second half and OT last week because the Vols are that bad on defense.

At the end of the day, Pinkel is still the head coach, and he can hurt Mizzou as much as anyone.

My opinions on Franklin are based off of his season last year, when he was healthy. He was a game-changer at times. I don't think he is on the Smith, Daniel, Gabbert level, but he is still a good QB when healthy, IMO. I do think that spring and fall camps will be a competition between Mauk and Franklin for the starting job, however.

I think you and I have the same opinion of Pinkel, however. He has done a lot for this program, but has a innate ability to blow games with his in-game management.

From a BB perspective, it is all going to be about chemistry. They have one of the most talented rosters in the country with Pressey, Dixon (if he ever plays), Oriaki, Bowers, Bell, Ross and Criswell. Jabari Brown (McDonald's All American) will help from behind the arc when he becomes eligible in December. Negus Webster-Chan and Jankovich (sp?) look like two promising freshman and have shown a nice touch behind the arc as well. If Frank can get this team to play together like last years team, this could be a very special year.

If SU wins, how will Mizzou fans react? Demand to fire the coach? Burn down the stadium?

Not sure about the thirst for college football there but gotta figure most Mizzou fans see it as show up and collect a W. Hope the team thinks that too.

If SU wins, how will Mizzou fans react? Demand to fire the coach? Burn down the stadium?

Not sure about the thirst for college football there but gotta figure most Mizzou fans see it as show up and collect a W. Hope the team thinks that too.

They are hardcore football fans and have fully embraced the SEC culture. Clay Travis was a believer after one visit.

I don't think Mizzou is looking past us at all. I'm actually concerned there will be a letdown by our squad after thrashing Louisville. Remember what happened after WVU last year?

My opinions on Franklin are based off of his season last year, when he was healthy. He was a game-changer at times. I don't think he is on the Smith, Daniel, Gabbert level, but he is still a good QB when healthy, IMO. I do think that spring and fall camps will be a competition between Mauk and Franklin for the starting job, however.

I think you and I have the same opinion of Pinkel, however. He has done a lot for this program, but has a innate ability to blow games with his in-game management.

From a BB perspective, it is all going to be about chemistry. They have one of the most talented rosters in the country with Pressey, Dixon (if he ever plays), Oriaki, Bowers, Bell, Ross and Criswell. Jabari Brown (McDonald's All American) will help from behind the arc when he becomes eligible in December. Negus Webster-Chan and Jankovich (sp?) look like two promising freshman and have shown a nice touch behind the arc as well. If Frank can get this team to play together like last years team, this could be a very special year.

I didn't think much of Franklin last year either. I would compare him to R.J. Anderson, which probably means nothing to you, but paints a picture for the guys here.

Would be interesting to see the Tigers try and attack the 2-3 zone.

I think most Missouri fans have a healthy respect for Syracuse. We know that you played Northwestern close and certainly last week caught everyone's attention.

That being said I would be somewhat surprised if SU was able to walk into Faurot Field on a Saturday night and beat us on Senior Day. The intangibles would seem to tilt in Mizzou's favor in that respect.

If you win, it wouldn't be the end of the world. This season has already been disappointing. We have been so maddeningly inconsistent that nothing would shock me.

It should be a good game regardless. I wish you all better luck in year one in the ACC than we have experienced this season in the SEC.

That being said I would be somewhat surprised if SU was able to walk into Faurot Field on a Saturday night and beat us on Senior Day. The intangibles would seem to tilt in Mizzou's favor in that respect.

Haven't you heard? We never lose on Senior Day!!! ;-)

Haven't you heard? We never lose on Senior Day!!! ;-)

So I have heard. I wouldn't fancy Mizzou's chances at the Carrier Dome for your Senior Day if we were in that situation. Mizzou has won the last seven Senior Day games and has not lost a non-conference home game since 2005. If Syracuse gets the W then they will be breaking several streaks.

So I have heard. I wouldn't fancy Mizzou's chances at the Carrier Dome for your Senior Day if we were in that situation. Mizzou has won the last seven Senior Day games and has not lost a non-conference home game since 2005. If Syracuse gets the W then they will be breaking several streaks.

As I said, very impressed if we can get a W.

Where is your real board anyway, $cout link above is a ghost town...

Mizzou has won the last seven Senior Day games and has not lost a non-conference home game since 2005.

Because they play cupcakes for the most part. This is probably the best non-conference opponent Mizzou has hosted since 2005. SU is certainly better than San Diego State.

The senior day comment was fabricated by Louisville- which is why it's funny.

Time for that streak to end. ;)

Because they play cupcakes for the most part. This is probably the best non-conference opponent Mizzou has hosted since 2005. SU is certainly better than San Diego State.

Well we played Illinois at the Edward Jones Dome every year from 2007-2010 so that explains the lack of marquee home non-conference games to an extent. Won all 4 of them by the way.

I think that is an interesting comparison between 2010 SDSU and 2012 Syracuse. If your ballclub is truly that good then we are in trouble because we were very lucky to beat them that year and we were a ten win team.

Shocked by the lack of confidence in our team from some people here. This game is a toss up.

I think most Missouri fans have a healthy respect for Syracuse. We know that you played Northwestern close and certainly last week caught everyone's attention.

If you win, it wouldn't be the end of the world. This season has already been disappointing. We have been so maddeningly inconsistent that nothing would shock me.

It should be a good game regardless. I wish you all better luck in year one in the ACC than we have experienced this season in the SEC.
we are foolish to think that we waltz in and win.if we manage not to self destruct as we had in most big games this year,it should be a excellent game.mizzou d-rush concerns me the most.you pressure nassib and we have a long day. if the wind is strong we have a long day---strangely, i have the feeling if we win it will be because of our defense---we have put up big offensive yards in almost every game and have lost most of them. i subscribe to the school of thought that you focus on what you will do as that is within your control and do it well worry about what the guy will do later.

I think that is an interesting comparison between 2010 SDSU and 2012 Syracuse. If your ballclub is truly that good then we are in trouble because we were very lucky to beat them that year and we were a ten win team.

I don't think that SDSU team was all that good. My only point was that they came very close to beating Mizzou in Columbia and that Syracuse is a higher quality opponent. I'd say Arizona State is a higher quality opponent as well.

One thing that could be beneficial is how hard this SU team hits. If they can get a good (clean) shot at Franklin, they could really rattle him.
Amen. I would love to hear, at season's end, how Missouri thought our D stacked up against the rest of the SEC, in terms of hitting and physicality. Especially with our DL vs their OL.

We are healthy on D even after a season of beating the hell out of people. Bring the pain.

Shocked by the lack of confidence in our team from some people here. This game is a toss up.
i may be wrong but i am shocked by the over confidence, and the feeling that we are so much better. mizzou is 5-5, but against sec teams who despite what many think, are the fastest best defenses in college football. i see it as a toss up only if we have the "a" game mistake free--then we have a chance. krautman needs to come through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom