hey defenders of Roy | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

hey defenders of Roy

Izzo, consistently.
Brad Stevens did, now he gone.
JB has, of late.
Pitino generally does - he doesn't get a ton of future Pros, but they've had very good success in the Tourney.

I wholeheartedly agree with Izzo. Best coach in the country as far as I see it.
Brad Stevens was incredible, but he's now in the NBA, as you mentioned.
JB has had a couple of rough years, preceded by some really good ones. I think he's a very good coach and would certainly put him in the above average category.
Pitino is also an excellent coach.

So basically, you gave me 3 current college head coaches who haven't underachieved out of 351 teams. I'm not saying your list is exhaustive, but if < 1% of guys are overachieving, then we've got a lot of really bad coaches out there. Back to my original point, I firmly believe Roy Williams is a very good coach. He has 8 final fours and 2 titles. I'm not sure how it can even be argued that he's not doing his job.

Just for some perspective, Tom Izzo is not leading the bad news bears to the final four every other year. He's recruited 12 McDonald's all Americans to MSU.

JAB in the same timeframe had nine.

Just for some perspective, Tom Izzo is not leading the bad news bears to the final four every other year. He's recruited 12 McDonald's all Americans to MSU.

i wanna see what izzo can do with tanner boyle

Ahh the myth of Izzo being this unworldly great coach compared to others drives me nuts. This year was the 5th time since 2002 that Izzo was knocked out in Round 1. In that same time period Syracuse was knocked out in round one twice. Yes, we were banned once and made two NIT's in that time frame, while MSU went to the NIT zero times, but when we get in we have made runs.

Since 2002 MSU has made 4 final fours with zero championships. Syracuse made 3 with 1 championship. We have 25 tournament wins. MSU has 30. Izzo's a good coach, but I wouldn't say he's so much better than everyone else. If he was some magician in March he wouldn't get beat so much in round one. He get's upset just as much, if not more than anyone. However, he gets the benefit of doubt because he started his career on fire and made the final four 3 times in his first 6 years on the job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom