High on Lydon | Syracusefan.com

High on Lydon

Let me guess: a white guy?
Yeah, isn't it funny how comparisons tend to be "race specific"? You'll never see a Chandler Parsons or Kevin Love compared to a Black player, it's always to another White guy. Same for Black players as well, btw.

I thought Tyler was taller but Chandler has an inch (and 45 pounds) on him.

will be interesting to see where Lydon's rankings are by the end of the summer. Kudos to staff for finding an under recruited kid like Lydon who could end up being the steal of the class.

Hop says that Tyler weight has gone up and that he gets stronger every day.
2015 is going to be a monster class! I like the kids that are coming into the program and that 2015 has versatile kids that can also shoot from the outside! I also feel Lydon and Howard will make a considerable move up the recruiting ranks! It is good time to be an Orange fan!

Don't know where Howard is currently ranked but should move up. Just from tape he didn't seem to stand out in the game but he can't be up to game speed yet. I thought that ACL's were a 12 month recovery. He seems to be back in a shorter time frame but I may be wrong on the surgery date.

I have a difficult time understanding why some posters concern themselves with the ranking of players that we have coming in. Whether they move up or down really doesn't matter in what they bring to Syracuse. The coaches know what their talent level and future potential are and that's all that should really matter.

I have a difficult time understanding why some posters concern themselves with the ranking of players that we have coming in. Whether they move up or down really doesn't matter in what they bring to Syracuse. The coaches know what their talent level and future potential are and that's all that should really matter.
It's nice and exciting to get top ranked players. Melo, Flynn, dion, Fab, MCW, mccollough. Sign me up for a top player like them any day.

It's validation. Prospect rankings are flawed to a degree and are subject to change simply because a big school targets a player, but they are somewhat useful as general gauges of talent. The coaches don't always get it right and it's nice to see how their opinion of a player compares to that of other coaches and scouts. It can also provide some insight into what the plan for a particular player is (immediate contributor vs. project, etc.).

It's perception. If we are perceived to consistently bring in players that are ranked highly, the talented kids in future classes may be influenced to consider us more strongly than they already are. Look at Kentucky. Cal is perceived to have an NBA pipeline going, and kids flock to him.

It's perception. If we are perceived to consistently bring in players that are ranked highly, the talented kids in future classes may be influenced to consider us more strongly than they already are. Look at Kentucky. Cal is perceived to have an NBA pipeline going, and kids flock to him.
So recruits look at who is taken in previous years rather than how well the team did? Top recruits go to a winning program not just because some high school all-star landed there. Cal is a rare exception the way he runs his program.

So recruits look at who is taken in previous years rather than how well the team did? Top recruits go to a winning program not just because some high school all-star landed there. Cal is a rare exception the way he runs his program.

Elite recruits pick schools that they think will give them the best chance to get picked top 5 in the draft. Wining at the collegiate level is secondary for most. They're all competitor's, so of course they want to win, but getting paid is above all.

I didn't say it was the sole reason. They consider both, along with many other factors. If a school performs well and routinely lands highly rated recruits, prospects certainly consider the school more strongly than one that does one or the other. Did recruits start flocking to Butler after they went to back to back championship games?

Yeah, isn't it funny how comparisons tend to be "race specific"? You'll never see a Chandler Parsons or Kevin Love compared to a Black player, it's always to another White guy. Same for Black players as well, btw.

OK. Compare him to a black guy who's game is just like Chandler Parsons. With a similar body type and athleticism.

OK. Compare him to a black guy who's game is just like Chandler Parsons. With a similar body type and athleticism.
I don't follow the league as much as I used to but from that highlight reel my first thought was Tracey McGrady.
He's obviously not as good as T-Mac in his prime, but he has that same long build, slashes well to the basket, got hops, and can hit the outside shot.

It's nice and exciting to get top ranked players. Melo, Flynn, dion, Fab, MCW, mccollough. Sign me up for a top player like them any day.

Yeah I agree with all of the above and everyone else that posted.

Its great to get top ranked players and exciting players on the court, especially ones that can lead us to a good offense and score one on one against the teams that slow the ball down against our zone. And I love our zone but when the offense isn't running good it is sometimes feels like it lacks the killer intstinct yet the numbers often say different.

From my viewpoint, the Syracuse team as a whole is much more important then elite talent. I always favor the better team when its very noticable. And that comes from good luck from our recruits reaching their potential while they become Legendary Orange.

I love someone like Jerami Grant, or Fab Melo, Same with Tyler Ennis but part of me feels sad we never got to see them hit a higher max potential for a entire year here. Heck even as good as MCW was he lacked that midpost finish for three quarters of his sophmore season.

Anyway I lose alot of faith sometimes, really really want us to win a big one, I am probably not alone as a fan saying I feel cursed. Especially watching crapconn win (it makes me feel like higher powers are saying let's take a dump on college basketball and ruin it, lets bring a plague and ruin the sport alltogether). Can we fix this curse and win one?

College basketball used to mix swag with competition back in the 80's/90's, now adays it mixes drama and carnival with competition. I think in becoming more competitive it has evolved into that. Thankfully it will never become as carnival as the nba. It couldn't there's not enough games to(sterns biggest mistake).

I love me cuse basketball in nov/dec its like watching art, or listening to good asian music.

For me one of the best parts of next year is the rawness, and everyone being so far from their ceiling. It adds a suprise element factor. And suprises in sports are definetly a staple since the 2000's.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom