His jersey belongs in the rafters | Syracusefan.com

His jersey belongs in the rafters

jgeorge322

Living Legend
I know we only made one bowl game in his career here and we lost a lot of games. I know some other programs may laugh at retiring a player’s jersey with his career record. I don’t care. To me, Eric Dungey is an all-time great, and I couldn’t be more happy to see him go out this way.

I know we only made one bowl game in his career here and we lost a lot of games. I know some other programs may laugh at retiring a player’s jersey with his career record. I don’t care. To me, Eric Dungey is an all-time great, and I couldn’t be more happy to see him go out this way.

Easily one of the greatest Orangemen of all time. You think attendance was bad over the last 4 years? What do you think it would be without Dungey kicking people in their heads? He put the program on his back.

Completely agree. Kid is one of the best to ever wear the Orange.

His on the field efforts go without saying, but his efforts off the field are notable as well. He has always exemplified true leadership in the community and amongst his teammates in the locker room and in the film room. Just ask them.

#2, thank you.

The parallels between Dungey and Bill Hurley are striking. Both were flashes of individual brilliance. Both had significant absences due to injuries that showed how much the team relied on them. Both brought SU out of a drought era. Both were fierce runners and OK throwers.

I disagree, but he is an all time great.

Maybe if we win the bowl game

The parallels between Dungey and Bill Hurley are striking. Both were flashes of individual brilliance. Both had significant absences due to injuries that showed how much the team relied on them. Both brought SU out of a drought era. Both were fierce runners and OK throwers.

Although there are some parallels, Bill wasn't on the same planet as a passer as Dungey. Not on the same planet. I would have to look it up but he was maybe a 50% passer with a mere fraction of Eric's yardage. Some of the latter is due to Dino's offense but Eric is more than an "OK" thrower. Bill was not. In addition the level of competition Bill faced wasn't close to what Eric has faced.

I mean, I hear what you are saying regarding the rest of it but I disagree with that one aspect.

Although there are some parallels, Bill wasn't on the same planet as a passer as Dungey. Not on the same planet. I would have to look it up but he was maybe a 50% passer with a mere fraction of Eric's yardage. Some of the latter is due to Dino's offense but Eric is more than an "OK" thrower. Bill was not. In addition the level of competition Bill faced wasn't close to what Eric has faced.

I mean, I hear what you are saying regarding the rest of it but I disagree with that one aspect.
It certainly was a different era. There were no air-raid offenses. Two hundred yard passing games were amazing. The Dazzler would have been seen as a visionary architect. Hurley was all grit.

Would definitely have to say that Dungey has at least earned SU football legend status. Guy was the heart and soul of this team for his 4 years here.

As one who also has seen both live, Eric is just better. And agree with Dick that the main difference is passing ability.

Both terrific runners. Bill was so good that I’d even give him the edge there. Faster, shiftier, though nowhere near as strong as ED.

Both team leaders who made everyone around them better, and maybe that’s the biggest trait they share.

This was the perfect Dungey game - running over a defender on the way to scoring a TD, hitting an opponent with the ball when he got too competitive but ultimately driving the other team insane by keeping plays alive and driving them offside, and in the end, humiliating them on their home turf.

If you take EDs stats for games that he played, and assume he would have produced similarly in the games he missed (you can even take 80% based on better competition later in schedule)...what are his stats and where do they rank? Has to be top 10 in NCAA of all time in multiple categories.

A hell of a football player!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom