His Take... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

His Take...

The three things he said that surprised me the most:

1. I wasn't seeing the Amare comparison with Drummond.

2. It is no secret that Fab is still at least somewhat raw, but I expected that he would have seen more upside to Fab. Maybe he wasn't aware of how little hoops experience Fab actually has.

3. I was surprised that he liked CJ (who I love) so much, since he lacks the size for a four & at this point in time doesn't seem to have the skills for a three, though his skills are improving rapidly.

Even if right on Fab, someone will out think the room and want to be the guy who guessed right on the 7' 250lb basketbal novice. He willgo in the first half of the draft, IMHO.
Yes, you may well be correct, to clarify, my friend was talking about where he would take players & not on where somebody else might take them.

whatever. JB says Syracuse is nearly unbeatable if they play like they did against UConn. Some scout says we wont make the final 4 because of one of our weaknesses after watching the same game. strange.

I don't have much of a beef with anything he said . . . if anything, he was too gentle. I think Dion is a 2nd round player whose electric scoring might have snuck him late into the first, but he is playing himself back into the 2nd round lately. I think Fab could be a lottery pick if he came back, but he is playing himself into the middle of the first and possibly very late lottery right now.

Sounds like all he is saying is that we aren't a given despite our record, ranking and likely seeding to make the Final Four, not that we can't get there. The answer to your question may be as simple as he sees only Kentucky as a given and the other 3 spots are truly up for grabs.
We did not discuss Kentucky as a team or any other particular team as a potential FF squad. He did say on Kentucky, in addition to Davis, that he also likes Kidd-Glichrist & did not think so much of Jones.

I thought of Amare right away when I first saw Drummond. They both have the same body type and have a very similar skill set.

with a 3-26 record... i along with you could get the same amount of wins as their current head coach...sometimes its opportunity and who you know that gets you ahead...there are a lot of people who could scout for the NBA but there aren't that many positions available
You must have missed the part about three starters being injured I think there are a lot more questionable scouting departments then the Bobcats in the NBA the Wizars jump out to me off the top of my head. A little of topic but have you seen Javal play this year? I was watching the other night when he pulled out a 25 foot sky hook from the baseline I almost wet my pants laughing

IMO he is spot on with all of his points thanks for sharing. For the people taking shots at the scout and Bobcats I would like to hear the reason you haven't been hired to scout the NBA yet and he has.

The biggest reason for me at least is that I never applied.

We did not discuss Kentucky as a team or any other particular team as a potential FF squad. He did say on Kentucky, in addition to Davis, that he also likes Kidd-Glichrist & did not think so much of Jones.
Jones will not be a lottery pick.

Drumond is a beast and will go high - Fab is going top 10 if not top 5 - he has a true NBA game - Dion is not thick - he is muscular, athletic, strong, fast and an insane defender - little bit of a tweener but goes top 20 - KJ is not an NBA player - a SF is supposed to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim - he does not do that - same applies to Fair

5. Lastly, and this is the one nobody will like, he did not see us as a FF squad. He likes our experience and depth, but thinks there is a good chance that somewhere along the FF road that one of our weaknesses will bite us in a given game.

That was interesting, newmexicuse. Thanks for posting.

I quoted the above point because while we may not like it as Cuse fans, it seems like your friend's opinion that SU is not a slam dunk Final Four team is shared by Boeheim himself. From SWC75's recap of the coach's show:

“I think people over-rate us. There’s 7-8 teams that can give us a big problem: Kentucky, Ohio State, Kansas, Duke, Michigan State, UNC. We’re not showing right now that we are prepared to beat those teams. Georgetown and West Virginia are just OK compared to them and they gave us a big problem. We are presently not able to compete for a national championship. We have to get better.”

It's possible Boeheim is sandbagging and engaging in coach speak, but I think he's usually honest about evaluating his team when he speaks publicly.

Keep in mind, this was prior to the 2011 NBA Draft:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ms-are-best-at-scouting-college-talent/page/8

24. Charlotte Bobcats

As the Charlotte Bobcats' No. 3 pick in 2006, Adam Morrison will go down as one of the biggest draft busts in NBA history.

And while Charlotte has somewhat made up for that with the selections of Dudley, Augustin (a slight reach) and Henderson (who has played well lately), they still lack the star power needed to turn their franchise around.

So without improved scouting, the Bobcats may have some dark days ahead of them. ;)
He was not scouting for Charlotte back then. He was previously a Warrior scout. I believe he has only scouted for Charlotte for 1 to 2 years.

I think there are a lot more questionable scouting departments then the Bobcats in the NBA the Wizars jump out to me off the top of my head.

8. Washington Wizards

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-are-best-at-scouting-college-talent/page/24

While it's hard to give the Washington Wizards too much credit for picking Wall at No. 1, they certainly deserve some recognition for their other selections.

At this point, Young, McGee and Booker have all proven to be steals at their respective draft positions.

Furthermore, Seraphin has the potential to develop into a solid player in due time.

Consequently, should the Wizards continue to scout with such effectiveness, they will field a competitive team sooner, rather than later.

Drumond is a beast and will go high - Fab is going top 10 if not top 5 - he has a true NBA game - Dion is not thick - he is muscular, athletic, strong, fast and an insane defender - little bit of a tweener but goes top 20 - KJ is not an NBA player - a SF is supposed to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim - he does not do that - same applies to Fair
If Fab left this year no way he goes top 10. Kris will get drafted, who knows if he'll be successful though.

Joseph wont be in the NBA in two years - maybe he will get drafted in the second round - Fab is going much higher than people think - he is a true Center - last time I looked every big man that ever played in the NBA that was considered a stud has a ring other than Ewing - u cant pass up an athletic 7 footer - thats y Oden went before Durant

I would think that they are easier to evaluate - put a blind bet on a typical Cuse player being a bust in the NBA and you will usually be right :(

This is true of all schools isn't it? The NBA has, what, 30-40 guys that anyone gives a rats ass about and they draft 60 players every single year. Almost every player taken in the draft every year is a bust.

Joseph wont be in the NBA in two years - maybe he will get drafted in the second round - Fab is going much higher than people think - he is a true Center - last time I looked every big man that ever played in the NBA that was considered a stud has a ring other than Ewing - u cant pass up an athletic 7 footer - thats y Oden went before Durant

I tend to agree. With FAB I think the discussion is around whether he is able or interested in trying to maximize his draft potential. I think he has shown enough this season that someone would rather take a shot that he will pan out than a shot that a guy like Joseph will pan out. There are a limited number of guys with true Center size, lots of 6'7" forwards out there.

This is true of all schools isn't it? The NBA has, what, 30-40 guys that anyone gives a rats ass about and they draft 60 players every single year. Almost every player taken in the draft every year is a bust.
I wouldn't say that. Just because no one gives a "rats ass" about someone like Landry Fields (for example) doesn't mean he's not a good player.

You're a bust based on how you performed for being picked at the slot. You could say there are more "steals" than "busts"

I wouldn't say that. Just because no one gives a "rats ass" about someone like Landry Fields (for example) doesn't mean he's not a good player.

You're a bust based on how you performed for being picked at the slot. You could say there are more "steals" than "busts"

I know, but I'm just pointing out there are far more players drafted each year than can possibly become starters somewhere in the following 1 to 3 years. Most guys who get drafted never amount to anything. The numbers are highly stacked against you. Even if the NBA had no players in it right now, all starting positions would be filled in less than 3 current sized drafts.

8. Washington Wizards

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-are-best-at-scouting-college-talent/page/24

While it's hard to give the Washington Wizards too much credit for picking Wall at No. 1, they certainly deserve some recognition for their other selections.

At this point, Young, McGee and Booker have all proven to be steals at their respective draft positions.

Furthermore, Seraphin has the potential to develop into a solid player in due time.

Consequently, should the Wizards continue to scout with such effectiveness, they will field a competitive team sooner, rather than later.
Do yourself a favor pull up Nick Youngs shooting percentage and attempts (look at his last game) then come back and say that article is spot on people in DC are calling for him to be traded. As far as McGee go he is so so not going to bash Booker so 1 out of the 3 listed has a good NBA future who ever wrote that article does not pay attention to the Wizards ask anbody who keeps up in the DMV they will agree I am sure

This is from a DC writer and the other articles you will find in DC bash him a lot more then that

It remains a league that has a franchise in Washington that is burdened with misfits like Andray Blatche and JaVale McGee; overrated talent like Nick Young and Jordan Crawford; and the architect who put together this "core" group, president Ernie Grunfeld.

I look at guys like Kwame Brown and Darko who continuously get pretty good money and extended contracts and it shows if youre big and can develop you can have a pretty good career. Everyone isn't an all star. Fab could be drafted say mid-late first, develop, and then have a nice long career as a decently athletic 7 footer who's active around the basket. Look at our own Etan Thomas. Hes made a nice long career out of being a big at the end of the bench who acts professionally and plays hard. I think Fab has shown by his improved condition he has the work ethic, and has more natural ability and size than Etan. My impression is Boeheim's opinion is highly respected throughout basketball so if he tells GM's and scouts Fab has a ton of potential and high ceiling, someone will bite.

I just looked at the Bobcats' roster. Wow. They have nobody worthy of an All-Star discussion.

I agree for the most part about the scout's comments (as if my opinion's vs. an NBA scout's is relevant, but here it goes) here are my thoughts:

1) The AD and Amare comparisons have been frequently made. You don't see it as much in his college games but AD looked VERY much like Amare in his high school film. Its a little disconcerting for AD that in Amare's 2nd year out of high school he averaged 21 and 9 and I highly doubt AD could average anywhere near that next year.

2) He's right about Dion being thick but isn't that a good thing? If he sees conditioning as problem that can be worked on, but you can only work on being an athletic and powerful guard to a point...those genes are important!

3) I love CJ and he may be an NBA prospect at some point (well I guess that point is now), but the scout saw only this one game. After re-watching the game myself, this much is clear; Olendar could not come close to guarding CJ. CJ blew by him on multiple occasions. Its very easy to see why someone may come away enamored with his quickness, athleticism and potential. CJ's done it before, but never multiple times in one game. So the question I think is whether this is a coming of age thing for CJ or if Olendar was just exposed as slow footed on defense?

He being one of my friends and neighbors who is a scout for the Bobcats. He was in the Dome for the UConn game. These are his early impressions from one game. Said he will be at the BET & will be in a much better position to solidify opinions and thoughts at that time. Also, remember, when he says he likes or doesn't like somebody or something he is talking in terms of the NBA & not about how a good or bad a kid may be as a collegiate.

1. He liked Drummond - says he reminds him of a young Amare. If you re-call when Amare first came to the NBA he was strictly an inside player.

2. He said Lamb has plenty of talent, but doesn't play hard.

3. He likes Robinson after Davis in the draft. He felt Sullinger is slipping out of the Top Five & might battle weight problems in his career.

4. He says he scouted Lin way back when Jeremy was a frosh & that Lin had the same game back then though he was scrawny & needed to work on his bod. He says he had Lin as the #6 PG in his draft & felt at that time that he could be a rotation guy. He along w the rest of the world did not forsee Linsanity.

Onto Cuse Things:

1. He wasn't impressed w the conditioning of Dion & Brandon & felt they were both too "thick."

2. He wasn't impressed w Fab. Says he couldn't guard Drummond inside. He sees both Fab & Dion as second half of the first round should they leave.

3. Not at all impressed w Joseph. Says he is solid. but is not exceptional at anything and may not be sufficiently athletic for the next level.

4. His favorite Cuse player was CJ, who he really liked in terms of his athleticism and quickness. Got the feeling that he thought CJ has more upside than many on this board seem to give him credit for.

5. Lastly, and this is the one nobody will like, he did not see us as a FF squad. He likes our experience and depth, but thinks there is a good chance that somewhere along the FF road that one of our weaknesses will bite us in a given game.

I find it interesting that he doesnt like any of our players and that we are going to get bit by shooting and rebounding. It is particularly interesting becasue you said he has only watch SU one game. During this one game they shot and rebounded well.

We must be a real turd in this guys eyes

The sum is greater than that parts. Keep winning and em all, including your "friend"

I find it interesting that he doesnt like any of our players and that we are going to get bit by shooting and rebounding. It is particularly interesting becasue you said he has only watch SU one game. During this one game they shot and rebounded well.

We must be a real turd in this guys eyes

The sum is greater than that parts. Keep winning and em all, including your "friend"

I was thinking the exact same thing. If the uconn game was the only game he watched and he doesnt think we're a final 4 team after that, then what the hell would he have said if he saw the gtown game?? That we'd lose in the 1st round?

I got news for this scout, when we shoot the ball like we did in the uconn game we aint losing to anyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom