His Take... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

His Take...

Earlier in the thread, someone noted that close wins are good but once the quality of the opponent improves, we could be in trouble.

Close wins over WVU, GU, UConn, and UofL. If SU makes the FF, they won't face a group of four teams better than that.

The most confusing thing to me is calling Brandon "too thick." Call Brandon a lot of things if you want, but "out of shape" or "thick" isn't one of them. The kid is a freaking workout warrior, and is ridiculously jacked for any 2-guard in college or the pros. "Thick" doesn't begin to describe him. It really doesn't describe anyone on the team, unless you're talking about CJ, in which case you have to affix "burger" to the end of that description, anyway.

He being one of my friends and neighbors who is a scout for the Bobcats. He was in the Dome for the UConn game. These are his early impressions from one game. Said he will be at the BET & will be in a much better position to solidify opinions and thoughts at that time. Also, remember, when he says he likes or doesn't like somebody or something he is talking in terms of the NBA & not about how a good or bad a kid may be as a collegiate.

1. He liked Drummond - says he reminds him of a young Amare. If you re-call when Amare first came to the NBA he was strictly an inside player.

2. He said Lamb has plenty of talent, but doesn't play hard.

3. He likes Robinson after Davis in the draft. He felt Sullinger is slipping out of the Top Five & might battle weight problems in his career.

4. He says he scouted Lin way back when Jeremy was a frosh & that Lin had the same game back then though he was scrawny & needed to work on his bod. He says he had Lin as the #6 PG in his draft & felt at that time that he could be a rotation guy. He along w the rest of the world did not forsee Linsanity.

Onto Cuse Things:

1. He wasn't impressed w the conditioning of Dion & Brandon & felt they were both too "thick."

2. He wasn't impressed w Fab. Says he couldn't guard Drummond inside. He sees both Fab & Dion as second half of the first round should they leave.

3. Not at all impressed w Joseph. Says he is solid. but is not exceptional at anything and may not be sufficiently athletic for the next level.

4. His favorite Cuse player was CJ, who he really liked in terms of his athleticism and quickness. Got the feeling that he thought CJ has more upside than many on this board seem to give him credit for.

5. Lastly, and this is the one nobody will like, he did not see us as a FF squad. He likes our experience and depth, but thinks there is a good chance that somewhere along the FF road that one of our weaknesses will bite us in a given game.

Nothing in his take is all that surprising.

Thanks for posting. Agree with most of what your friend says. I can see how he may think Brandon and Dion appear "thick." They are quite a bit more sturdy than your average guards. Who knows about the conditioning but Dion's athleticism speaks for itself.

Fab had that one block on the weak Drummond layup attempt but he was starting to get schooled by Drummond and was saved by his injury.

CJ is interesting. He is pretty fluid and moves well. Better looking 'athlete' than Joseph. Joseph will not get drafted and I will keep saying it.

Not shocked about bottom of first round with those two. We'll see but SU dosn't exactly have a good track record going lately with draft picks. Jonny, Wes, Donte, etc. Oy.

He has some good takes but after seeing he questioned Dion's and Triche's conditioning (especially Triche) and being too thick I didn't know how to take the rest.

Hopefully you told him that with Charlotte 3-26 for the year and 222-352 all time with one playoff appearance, his talent evaluation skills may need some reevaluating ;)
Charlotte evaluation needs to be of the admins./owner.

True but CJ has two more years to get his game ready he could be a NBA ready guy coming out after his Senior year. Once he trusts his knee he will be a monster[/quote]
I keep hearing this from different posters. Why do people think he isn't trusting it right now?

He has excellent talent evaluation skills. He loved Monta Ellis before anybody, myself included, even heard about him. He called Aldridge over Thomas the year that both of them were considered co #1s. The Bobcats drafted Kemba & Byongo last year. Kemba is either the top scoring rookie or amongst them. Byongo was a project player going in that the Bobcats still love by the way he practices & in terms of his upside.

It is not his fault that Charlotte traded away their two best players in the off-season & on top of that have been hit with a major injury bug (their three best players have missed major minutes). He is a scout & not a GM. Even, if he likes somebody it doesn't mean that his opinion will prevail.

In my various conversations with him over the years he has made multiple good to excellent calls & has rarely had a bad opinion, though, of course, he can't have opinions on everything. I am not specifically re-collecting that he has had any significantly wrong opinions about any Cuse player who he has scouted. And you must remember that for an NBA scout, Cuse players are extra hard to evaluate because we play Zone.

Lol. The woes of the bobcats came up on sports center as I was reading this.

Thanks for posting. Agree with most of what your friend says. I can see how he may think Brandon and Dion appear "thick." They are quite a bit more sturdy than your average guards. Who knows about the conditioning but Dion's athleticism speaks for itself.

Fab had that one block on the weak Drummond layup attempt but he was starting to get schooled by Drummond and was saved by his injury.

CJ is interesting. He is pretty fluid and moves well. Better looking 'athlete' than Joseph. Joseph will not get drafted and I will keep saying it.

Not shocked about bottom of first round with those two. We'll see but SU dosn't exactly have a good track record going lately with draft picks. Jonny, Wes, Donte, etc. Oy.

I'll be very surprised if he goes from being projected as a mid-late 1st round pick to undrafted as he's picking his game up but we'll see. His athleticism isn't what it once was, but he has the perfect size for an NBA SF, he's improving on his catch-and-shoot abilities (as far as his footwork and release goes, not necessarily percentage, because I think we can all agree that he had been struggling mightily before the Georgetown game), does a pretty good job of taking contact and still finishing, and he can handle the ball pretty well for a SF (but also tries to do too much with his dribble at times). The only real knocks on him as far as I'm concerned is age and the fact that he sometimes doesn't put as much effort in on the defensive end as he should, but he should definitely end up getting drafted.

Edit: I do think CJ Fair is the most interesting prospect on the team though, but his game is still very raw.

The most confusing thing to me is calling Brandon "too thick." Call Brandon a lot of things if you want, but "out of shape" or "thick" isn't one of them. The kid is a freaking workout warrior, and is ridiculously jacked for any 2-guard in college or the pros. "Thick" doesn't begin to describe him. It really doesn't describe anyone on the team, unless you're talking about CJ, in which case you have to affix "burger" to the end of that description, anyway.

It can only be in terms of how the "thickness" affects Brandon's quickness. Everyone loves Brandon's build when he gets into the lane, but getting there has been the challenge. He's not quick enough to beat solid defenders off the dribble.

It can only be in terms of how the "thickness" affects Brandon's quickness. Everyone loves Brandon's build when he gets into the lane, but getting there has been the challenge. He's not quick enough to beat solid defenders off the dribble.

That's not the same as conditioning.

Sent from my DROIDX

That's not the same as conditioning.

Sent from my DROIDX

True. He may have mistaken Brandon's jacked-ness for being out of shape. Brandon can run all day, he's just never been lightning quick.

He had major knee surgery in high school and he still looks a lot different on it. You can tell he is a different athlete since it happened but looks like he is getting more comfortable on it year after year. If you pull some of his high school you tube highlights you will see his explosion he use to have.

Earlier in the thread, someone noted that close wins are good but once the quality of the opponent improves, we could be in trouble.

Close wins over WVU, GU, UConn, and UofL. If SU makes the FF, they won't face a group of four teams better than that.

I'm not so sure about that. WVU is in the 8-9 seed range, L'ville the 4-5. The 16 seed will be worse than Uconn but the likely 2-3 will be at least as good as G'town, probably better. Plus 3 of those games were at home (though 1 was w/out Fab of course).

he loves CJ but isnt impressed with Dion or Fab?

hmm OK

Hard to argue with any of that for me... I'm also a CJ believer and would buy his NBA stock potential over KJo.

Personally, I look at C.J. and I see a player who is about 6-6, not the 6-8 he is listed at. And ask yourself - the 3 position in the NBA is full of physical specimens with outrageous athleticism, and great basketball skills, including having a good handle and being able to make a 22 foot (not 19 foot) jump shot, under pressure.

I just don't see C.J. as an NBA three, when you consider that Hakim lacks the skills for an NBA three. We tend to forget this, but there are only 450 people in the entire world who play in the NBA. That's a tall challenge.

Thanks for sharing.

With respect to his evaluations of Dion & Fab (2nd half of the 1st round) I don't find that surprising at all. Not sure how much merit there is to his conditioning comment based on one observation.

Don't think the evaluation of Joseph is all that surprising either. If we stop and think what we've been complaining about with him for 2 years - inconsistent shooter; shouldn't put the ball on the floor for more than 2 dribbles or bad things happen; limited effort on the glass; questionable defender - it shouldn't be surprising if NBA scouts don't value him.

Very surprised with his review of CJ. I am a huge CJ supporter, but have him pegged for a Lawrence Moten/John Wallace type - terrific college player (when its said and done - but not really an NBA type).

Also, what he is saying with regard to the Final Four is what most who have been complaining after the close losses have been trying to get across. Its great that we are winning those games, but as the quality of the opponents improve and the games become more meaningful you can't count on winning games where you get hammered on the boards or can't shoot straight and... sometimes both things happen.

Well said. About the only comment the scout made that I found a little puzzling was the one about Triche/DW conditioning. Triche particularly looks like somebody that could run all day. Otherwise the guy's comments made a lot of sense.

Dion definitely looks a little chubbier lately than he did early in the season

what?!

did you see his quickness vs rutgers? he got to the hoop 2 or 3 times like ive never seen him do - he just airballed the layups.

what?!

did you see his quickness vs rutgers? he got to the hoop 2 or 3 times like ive never seen him do - he just airballed the layups.
Yeah I don't see the lack of conditioning thing.

This is true of all schools isn't it? The NBA has, what, 30-40 guys that anyone gives a rats ass about and they draft 60 players every single year. Almost every player taken in the draft every year is a bust.
people forget this, every year there are a handful of impact/staying players, a handful of role guys who stick around, a handful of projects, and 60% busts

what?!

look at his face now vs. the beginning of the year, looks like he has been eating some victory burgers lately

H & H, hungry and hungry humble and hungry

He has some good takes but after seeing he questioned Dion's and Triche's conditioning (especially Triche) and being too thick I didn't know how to take the rest.

Agreed. That doesn't make any sense.

"from one game"

I notice there was no metion of Scoop. I suspect his evaluation of him was pretty high- but would not have been if he'd seen the next game vs. Louisville.

I think Melo will be a star center in the NBA- maybe not a Dwight Howard but very good. The next thing htat will develop with him is his offensive game- we are already stating to see the start of it. The question is: would it better develop here or in the NBA. I'm old fashioned: I think a player should fully develop his skill set because you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

6-4 guys just don't make it in the NBA without a consistent NBA range jump shot. If Dion goes pro after this year, he's going to have learn another language.

Kris Joseph is a good college foward. That's it.

I could see CJ on and NBA roster someday. But he'll have get stronger.

It wouldn't shock me to see Scoop playing the point for an NBA team someday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom